Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Then went outside to watch P. parade ( Parts 1 & 2 )  (Read 214279 times)

Offline Michael T. Griffith

Re: Then went outside to watch P. parade ( Parts 1 & 2 )
« Reply #440 on: September 04, 2020, 09:01:35 PM »
Advertisement
In his book The Zapruder Film: Reframing JFK's Assassination (University Press of Kansas, 2003), Dr. David Wrone makes a convincing case that Oswald, not Bill Lovelady, is the man seen standing in the TSBD doorway in the Altgens photo. Until very recently, I made the mistake of accepting the HSCA PEP's identification of the man as Lovelady. I should have known better. In fact, again until very recently, I always viewed the attempts to identify the man as Oswald as amateurish and embarrassing to the multiple-gunmen position.

When I recently bought Wrone's book and saw that it had a chapter on the man in the doorway (chapter 11), I assumed that Wrone identified the man as Lovelady. As I read the chapter, I soon realized that he did not, but I also saw that he made a very strong case for the Oswald identification. When I got to the last page of the chapter, I thought to myself, "Holy cow! This is powerful stuff!"

Of course, since the Altgens photo shows Oswald standing in the TSBD doorway, he could not have been up on the sixth floor firing at Kennedy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:03:35 PM by Michael T. Griffith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #440 on: September 04, 2020, 09:01:35 PM »

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #441 on: September 05, 2020, 12:14:45 AM »
In his book The Zapruder Film: Reframing JFK's Assassination (University Press of Kansas, 2003), Dr. David Wrone makes a convincing case that Oswald, not Bill Lovelady, is the man seen standing in the TSBD doorway in the Altgens photo. Until very recently, I made the mistake of accepting the HSCA PEP's identification of the man as Lovelady. I should have known better. In fact, again until very recently, I always viewed the attempts to identify the man as Oswald as amateurish and embarrassing to the multiple-gunmen position.

When I recently bought Wrone's book and saw that it had a chapter on the man in the doorway (chapter 11), I assumed that Wrone identified the man as Lovelady. As I read the chapter, I soon realized that he did not, but I also saw that he made a very strong case for the Oswald identification. When I got to the last page of the chapter, I thought to myself, "Holy cow! This is powerful stuff!"

Of course, since the Altgens photo shows Oswald standing in the TSBD doorway, he could not have been up on the sixth floor firing at Kennedy.

There is

------------a very strong case to be made for Mr Oswald's having gone outside to watch the P. parade

------------a very strong case to be made for Mr Oswald's being Prayer Man

------------no case to be made for Mr Oswald's being the man in the doorway in the Altgens photograph.

Thumb1:

« Reply #442 on: September 05, 2020, 03:17:30 AM »
There is no case to be made for Mr Oswald's being the man in the doorway in the Altgens photograph.

That's what I thought until I read Wrone's chapter on the subject. You might want to read it.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #442 on: September 05, 2020, 03:17:30 AM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #443 on: September 07, 2020, 01:49:41 PM »
That's what I thought until I read Wrone's chapter on the subject. You might want to read it.

Holy crap!

« Reply #444 on: September 07, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »
Holy crap!

One of the facts that Dr. Wrone points out is that we now have a clear picture from the Martin film of Bill Lovelady standing near the TSBD entrance shortly after the shooting, and the picture undeniably shows that Lovelady was wearing a long-sleeved black-and-red shirt buttoned at the collar with no buttons unbuttoned. This fact categorically, absolutely rules him out as the man in the doorway.

Since Lovelady and Oswald's faces and hair looked very similar, we can go back and forth about the facial features of the man in the doorway, but we now know what kind of shirt Lovelady wore, and it was not the shirt worn by the man in the doorway.

Dr. Wrone notes that if you study the original Altgens photo at the National Archives, not the multi-generation copies commonly available, the man in the doorway's shirt looks exactly like the shirt that Oswald wore to work that day, down to the detail that the shirt is slightly oversized, that the shirt's color and pattern match those of Oswald's shirt, that the shirt has a small tear, and that the top three button holes are stretched and thus could not be buttoned, which explains why the top part of the man's shirt is unbuttoned.

Open your mind. Dare yourself to read research published after 1980.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:23:57 PM by Michael T. Griffith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #444 on: September 07, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »

Offline Ray Mitcham

« Reply #445 on: September 07, 2020, 06:25:32 PM »
One of the facts that Dr. Wrone points out is that we now have a clear picture from the Martin film of Bill Lovelady standing near the TSBD entrance shortly after the shooting, and the picture undeniably shows Lovelady was wearing a long-sleeved black-and-red shirt buttoned at the collar with no buttons unbuttoned. This fact categorically, absolutely rules him out as the man in the doorway.

It also destroys those whose say that Lovelady was wearing a striped shirt, not a red and white patterned shirt

« Reply #446 on: September 07, 2020, 07:31:40 PM »
It also destroys those whose say that Lovelady was wearing a striped shirt, not a red and white patterned shirt.

Yes, and the WC needed to ID the man as Lovelady because the man, by everyone's admission, also looks very much like Oswald. So they needed to ID the man as someone who looked similar to Oswald, and they were very lucky that Lovelady happened to be nearby at the same time. However, the commission had to brazenly misrepresent the facts about the shirt that Lovelady wore that day. The WC did not know that in later years the Martin film would provide clear frames of Lovelady and of the shirt he wore.

So it turns out that Harold Weisberg, known for being careful and meticulous, was right after all. Weisberg always insisted that Oswald was the man in the doorway. I regret that I was so certain that Weisberg was wrong that I didn't even bother to read his arguments on the subject. I should have known better.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:32:28 PM by Michael T. Griffith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #446 on: September 07, 2020, 07:31:40 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #447 on: September 07, 2020, 07:55:47 PM »
One of the facts that Dr. Wrone points out is that we now have a clear picture from the Martin film of Bill Lovelady standing near the TSBD entrance shortly after the shooting, and the picture undeniably shows Lovelady was wearing a long-sleeved black-and-red shirt buttoned at the collar with no buttons unbuttoned. This fact categorically, absolutely rules him out as the man in the doorway.

Since Lovelady and Oswald's faces and hair looked very similar, we can go back and forth about the facial features of the man in the doorway, but we now know what kind of shirt Lovelady wore, and it was not the shirt worn by the man in the doorway.

Dr. Wrone notes that if you study the original Altgens photo at the National Archives, not the multi-generation copies commonly available, the man in the doorway's shirt looks exactly like the shirt that Oswald wore to work that day, down to the detail that the shirt is slightly oversized, that the shirt's color and pattern match those of Oswald's shirt, that the shirt has a small tear, and that the top three button holes are stretched and thus could not be buttoned, which explains why the top part of the man's shirt is unbuttoned.

Open your mind. Dare yourself to read research published after 1980.

Lovelady identified himself as himself. Fellow workers identified him as himself. I reckon Oswald had somewhat higher, loftier ambitions than to just stand around on TSBD entrance steps, doing nothing more than looking like himself.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 03:12:23 AM by Bill Chapman »