Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: What happened to the Mauser?  (Read 95693 times)

Offline Walt Cakebread

Re: What happened to the Mauser?
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2018, 01:44:56 AM »
Advertisement
Thanx Walt - but my problem is with this
this is NOT little more than a glimpse

Nov 23 1963
Weitzman FBI Report
Mr. Weitzman described the rifle was found as a 7.65 caliber Mauser action rifle, loads from a five shot clip is locked on the underside of the receiver forward of the trigger guard.
The metal parts of this rifle were of a gun metal color, gray or blue and the rear portion of the bolt was visibly worn.
The wooden portions of this rifle were a dark brown in color and of rough wood apparently having been used or damaged to a considerable extent.
The rifle was equipped with a four power 18 scope of apparent Japanese manufacture. It's also equipped with a thick brown- black leather bandolier type sling

five shot clip
locked on the underside of trigger guard
dark brown in color and of rough wood
rear portion of the bold visibly worn
wooden portions damaged to a considerable extent
four power 18 scope Japanese make
brown-black leather bandolier type strap

::) I don't think I could remember all those things on way back; even as a young man
...but if the first affidavit I write is on the 23rd, I'm gonna call over to Day and confirm the caliber

Michael ...This FBI report stinks....They gave Weitzman a Mauser to examine anf then had him describe it as if it was the rifle that was found in the TSBD. 

I don't know what the bastroids were up to .....possible preparing for the eventuality that Lee Oswald's agency would come to his defense and they would have to let him go.  They may have been preparing a cover story that there was also a Mauser found and they were working on tracing that rifle.   

I don' know what the hell was going on ...but I do know they had Weitzman examine and describe a mauser.....  But that doesn't mean the rifle that was found well hidden beneath boxes of books was a mauser.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2018, 01:44:56 AM »

Offline Jake Maxwell

« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2018, 02:19:19 AM »
FP: Did you handle that rifle?
RC: Yes, I did. I couldn't give you its name because I don't know foreign rifles. [...]

This is the same guy who said a few years later that he actually saw "Mauser 7.65" stamped into the barrel of the gun. The two stories are inherently contradictory; both can't be right. Do you not get that?

Yes... they seem to be contradictory...
What do we know about Captain Glen King and his testimony about the Mauser? Maybe it's been noted already and I missed it...

Offline Jake Maxwell

« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2018, 02:27:01 AM »

Michael ...This FBI report stinks....They gave Weitzman a Mauser to examine anf then had him describe it as if it was the rifle that was found in the TSBD. 

I don't know what the bastroids were up to .....possible preparing for the eventuality that Lee Oswald's agency would come to his defense and they would have to let him go.  They may have been preparing a cover story that there was also a Mauser found and they were working on tracing that rifle.   

I don' know what the hell was going on ...but I do know they had Weitzman examine and describe a mauser.....  But that doesn't mean the rifle that was found well hidden beneath boxes of books was a mauser.

Walt, Yes... it stinks! And I don't know what was going on either, but there are so many loose ends to this Mauser issue...
Could you explain what you mean by a "cover story"... Is this a suggestion that they might have let Oswald go, but then try to pin the assassination on someone else who used a Mauser?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2018, 02:27:01 AM »

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2018, 05:50:03 AM »
I'm talking about Craig's claim to have actually seen "Mauser" and "7.65" stamped into the barrel of the rifle. I apologize if I didn't state it clearly enough. The "I saw'Mauser 7.65' stamped on the barrel of the rifle" part of his story doesn't appear until the 1973-75 time frame.

BTW, this is an excerpt from Ed Tatro's "Roger Craig and 1984:"

Meanwhile my major concern of the Craig allegations continued to be the Mauser stipulation, "A 7.65 Mauser so stamped on the barrel." Craig did not cite this information in his deposition, but of course that affidavit was a brief summary primarily concerned with the station wagon story. No reference to the Mauser is cited in Craig's testimony to Belin, but that transcript can not be trusted anyway considering Belin's unreliable performance married to his selected preference attitude. There is also no reference to the Mauser identification by Craig in the Forgive My Grief series which is difficult to ignore since almost every other allegation leveled by Craig was published by Penn Jones at one point or another.

I checked the Clay Shaw trial newspaper coverage of Craig's testimony, February 15, 1969 in the New Orleans Picayune. Craig was shown a Carcano and he is quoted as saying that the rifle in the courtroom was "similar with one exception - the one in the building had a strap". Craig obviously did not make any Mauser references at the trial or the New Orleans journalists would have jumped on it. Even in Craig's own unpublished manuscript entitled When They Kill A President, Craig was not as precise as he was in his letter to me. Craig's manuscript details the scenario as follows -

"Lt. Day inspected the rifle briefly then handed it to Capt. Fritz, who had a puzzled look on his face. Seymour Weitzman, a deputy constable, was standing beside me at the time. Weitzman was an expert on weapons. Being in the sporting goods business for many years, he was familiar with all domestic and foreign weapons. Capt. Fritz asked if anyone knew what kind of rifle it was. Weitzman asked to see it. After a close examination (much longer than Fritz or Day's examination), Weitzman declared that it was a 7.65 Mauser.. Fritz agreed with him."

Therefore anyone who seriously questions Craig's allegation about a 7.65 Mauser identification is justified. The reader must keep in mind that by 1974 Craig was financially, physically, psychologically , and maritally a far cry from the man who the witnessed the rewriting of history in I963. Another reliable critic informed me after Craig's death that Craig knew the identity of his shotgun assailant of January, 1975 and that the incident was a personal matter. Craig had never informed me of this information and was not being totally honest with me, omission by silence, as it were.

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »
nor do I claim what-da-hell was going on  - but it was something
...would like to see some actual evidence of this though

I believe the FBI report itself is evidence that they were involved in some sort of deception....

Weitzman examined the mauser in minute detail....    For what purpose?   Where did that mauser come from and where did it go??

There's no doubt that there was in fact a mauser in the pile of garbage for a brief period, but it definitely was not the rifle that was found where it ha been carefully hidden beneath boxes of books on the sixth floor.

Is it possible that thy were going to present that mauser as the weapon of one of Lee Oswald's accomplices?   You may recall that  on Friday the authorities were presenting a story that Lee Oswald was the leader of a band of communists under the banner of the  Fair Play for Cuba Committee.  Roger Craig said that he heard that the mauser had been found on a roof of a building in Dealey Plaza.  Unfortunately Craig was one of those individuals who will add made up details to a story so we don't know if Craig really did hear DPD officers talking about finding a mauser on a rooftop.   

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »

Offline Matt Grantham

« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2018, 07:01:06 PM »
I'm talking about Craig's claim to have actually seen "Mauser" and "7.65" stamped into the barrel of the rifle. I apologize if I didn't state it clearly enough. The "I saw'Mauser 7.65' stamped on the barrel of the rifle" part of his story doesn't appear until the 1973-75 time frame.

Let's add the caveat the WC asks him nothing about identifying the rifle

Offline Jake Maxwell

« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2018, 09:25:31 PM »
Has there been any discussion that Caster's Mauser that he bought and brought into the TSBD building on November 20th has anything to do with the mix-up... or that it was intended to be part of a larger plot?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2018, 09:25:31 PM »

Offline Jake Maxwell

« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2018, 11:34:05 PM »
Check this out:

https://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php/topic,869.msg19206.html#msg19206

Thanks for the link... Good discussion...

I wonder if Caster was really out of town that day of November 22...
I also wonder if the Oswald LN scenario had been foiled by some means, if Caster might have been the back-up "fall guy" - His Mauser actually was on site two days earlier, it was registered under his name, and people saw it in his possession two days earlier, and the initial description of the gun was Mauser...  :-\
Then we'd be talking about Caster, and not Oswald... Caster might have been plan "B"

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 11:37:08 PM by Jake Maxwell »