Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: What happened to the Mauser?  (Read 94498 times)

Online Mitch Todd

Re: What happened to the Mauser?
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2018, 01:29:42 AM »
Advertisement
Considering what happened to him, why the hell would Craig lie? You have to believe that he was mentally ill before the Big Event otherwise he wouldn't have turned into a lying conspiracy nutjob and killed himself with a .22 caliber rifle shot to the chest.

That's beside the point. Craig's "7.65 Mauser" story isn't in his 11/22/63 report, not in his FBI 302 and not in his testimony to the WC. In the 67/68 interview with Penn Jones, he said that the 6th floor rifle was a Carcano, but a Mauser was found on the roof. He didn't mention the Mauser in his '69 testimony in the Shaw trial. There is also no mention of "7.65 Mauser" in his 1971 work "When They Kill a President." The earliest I know for sure that he brought up seeing "Mauser 7.65" on the rifle was the "Two Men in Dallas" video, made in 1975. It took 12 years for him to bring it up, despite having plenty of opportunity to do so.

And, it ought to be noted that neither Mary Ferrell nor Harold Weisberg believed him.

And you still haven't told us where the "7.65" came from. No one would have known that was the caliber of a Mauser, except maybe the conspirators. And Craig wasn't the only one. Seymour Weitzman swore an affidavit that it was not only a Mauser, but model 7.65. He later recanted, but he was smart to do so, unlike Craig. Weitzman was in the Air Force and his experience with guns was with Thompson machine guns and pistols, not Mausers. So I ask again, where did he and Craig come up with the 7.65, which they 1st claimed to have read off the barrel?

In the late 1950's and early 60's, Argentina was unloading a lot of their old model 1891 Mausers. Those were chambered in 7.65. The M1889/1891 Mausers are fairly unique for the brand in that they use a single-stack magazine that extends below the forestock like you see on a Carcano. Later Mausers (ie, 1893 and up) use a two-stack magazine that is completely contained within the stock. Someone who had some experience with the Argentine rifles but not too much else could easily look at a Carcano and assume from the magazine that it was a 7.65.

Weitzman spent something close to a year running a chain names Lamont's. Over the years, I've seen Lamont's described as either a regional department store, or a small chain of sporting goods stores. I don't think anyone has ever nailed down exactly what it was, though it has to be the source of Weitzman's "I was in the sporting goods business" comment in his WC testimony. But he only did it for about a year, and was overseeing the sale of a panopoly of sporting goods beyond guns, so he didn't pick up too much experience from the job.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2018, 01:29:42 AM »

Offline Jake Maxwell

« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2018, 04:05:40 AM »
Craig's daughter seems very, very angry toward her father, which would seem to taint her perspective on her father's testimony... After reading Craig's story and the many pressures on his family from bad luck, bad health, bad decisions, I would think that much of her anger could be the result of that.

Craig's short book, gives an overview of his life, and his testimony about the events he witnessed November 22, 1963 - http://www.conspiracybomb.com/killapresident.htm
It is insightful reading... and seems to have a "ring" of truth to it... Very interesting....
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:09:49 AM by Jake Maxwell »

Offline Mike Orr

« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »
What reason was there for Roger Craig to say that the rifle that was found on the 6th floor was a 7.65 Mauser and not a 6.5 Mannlicher Carcano ? Weitzman said it was a 7.65 Mauser also . If it said 7.65 Mauser on the barrel , then it was a Mauser . Chevys don't have Ford emblems on them . This rifle had markings on it and all you had to do was read what was on the rifle . The DPD & Bethesda made so many bad decisions that weekend and that is why it took 26 volumes of the WC to try and convince everyone that LHO was just a lone nut who thought he would kill John F Kennedy with a rifle and kill JD Tippit with a revolver. The crap that was made up about LHO got very deep that weekend . You people who believe the Warren Report , must have drank the Kool-Aid. Good Luck in the future !

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »

Online Steve Howsley

« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »
That's a knockout blow James considering it came from MF herself.

Offline Jake Maxwell

« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2018, 04:25:58 PM »
Mitch, You say,
There is also no mention of "7.65 Mauser" in his 1971 work "When They Kill a President."

I just read through Craig's book, When They Kill a President... He does mention a Mauser (below):

Capt. Fritz asked if anyone knew what kind of rifle it
was. Weitzman asked to see it. After a *close* examination (much
longer than Fritz or Day's examination) Weitzman declared that it
was a 7.65 German Mauser. Fritz agreed with him.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2018, 04:25:58 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2018, 04:33:24 PM »
That's beside the point. Craig's "7.65 Mauser" story isn't in his 11/22/63 report, not in his FBI 302 and not in his testimony to the WC. In the 67/68 interview with Penn Jones, he said that the 6th floor rifle was a Carcano, but a Mauser was found on the roof. He didn't mention the Mauser in his '69 testimony in the Shaw trial. There is also no mention of "7.65 Mauser" in his 1971 work "When They Kill a President." The earliest I know for sure that he brought up seeing "Mauser 7.65" on the rifle was the "Two Men in Dallas" video, made in 1975. It took 12 years for him to bring it up, despite having plenty of opportunity to do so.

And, it ought to be noted that neither Mary Ferrell nor Harold Weisberg believed him.

In the late 1950's and early 60's, Argentina was unloading a lot of their old model 1891 Mausers. Those were chambered in 7.65. The M1889/1891 Mausers are fairly unique for the brand in that they use a single-stack magazine that extends below the forestock like you see on a Carcano. Later Mausers (ie, 1893 and up) use a two-stack magazine that is completely contained within the stock. Someone who had some experience with the Argentine rifles but not too much else could easily look at a Carcano and assume from the magazine that it was a 7.65.

Weitzman spent something close to a year running a chain names Lamont's. Over the years, I've seen Lamont's described as either a regional department store, or a small chain of sporting goods stores. I don't think anyone has ever nailed down exactly what it was, though it has to be the source of Weitzman's "I was in the sporting goods business" comment in his WC testimony. But he only did it for about a year, and was overseeing the sale of a panopoly of sporting goods beyond guns, so he didn't pick up too much experience from the job.

Mary and Harold were both SERIOUS researchers.....intelligent, with good commonsense.  They recognized a liar when he revealed himself....    Neither of them believed J.Edgar Hoover's proclamation  that Leee Harrrrrrvey Ossssswald was responsible for the coup d e'tat.     

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »
It is ashame that you cannot show that he lied.

It is ashame that you cannot show that he lied.

Your challenge would be viable and your statement accurate if you had written :...

It is a shame that you cannot show (ME, Rob Caprio)  that he lied.

Because that would be 100% accurate .....I cannot show anything to anybody who will not open their eyes...

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »

Offline Mike Orr

« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2018, 08:30:11 PM »
The rifle found was said to be a 7.65 Mauser which had 7.65 Mauser stamped on the barrel and the news outlets were told that it was a 7.65 Mauser and was a 7.65 Mauser for almost two days as per Walter Cronkite and other news outlets but then the rifle became a 6.5 Mannlicher Carcano. Who was the first person to say that the rifle found was not a 7.65 Mauser (as was stamped on the barrel) but was said to be a Mannlicher Carcano a couple of days later. Roger Craig would not recant his ability to read 7.65 Mauser on the barrel of the rifle . It took "whoever" almost 2 days to tell us that a Mauser had become a Carcano . Roger Craig was shot at , had his car run off the road, and the engine on his car blew up and he was said to have committed suicide . Weitzman changed his story and went on to have a successful career. The markings on the Mannlicher Carcano were Cal. 6.5 Made in Italy & Terni ( which is the city of the manufacturer ) . 7.65 Mauser  and Cal. 6.5 , made in Italy & Terni are not even close as far as markings go. It was a 7.65 Mauser as per Craig and Weitzman . Live with it !