Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Shells, rifle, SN... Who?  (Read 42255 times)

Offline Gary Craig

Re: Shells, rifle, SN... Who?
« Reply #416 on: April 17, 2020, 09:05:16 PM »
Advertisement
Weitzman WC Testimony

Mr. Ball - I understand that. Now, in your statement to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, you gave a description of the rifle, how it looked.
Mr. WEITZMAN - I said it was a Mauser-type action, didn't I?
Mr. BALL - Mauser bolt action.
Mr. WEITZMAN - And at the time I looked at it, I believe I said it was 2.5 scope on it and I believe I said it was a Weaver but it wasn't; it turned out to be anything but a Weaver, but that was at a glance.
(...)
Mr. WEITZMAN - I believe it was a 2.5 Weaver at the time I looked at it. I didn't look that close at it; it just looked like a 2.5 but it turned out to be a Japanese scope, I believe.

---------------------------------------------------------

Let's see where Weitzman actually read on the rifle that it was a Mauser. Or a Carcano, for that matter. Seems to me that glances are enough proof for some people

"Mr. WEITZMAN - And at the time I looked at it, I believe I said it was 2.5 scope on it and I believe I said it was a Weaver but it wasn't; it turned out to be anything but a Weaver, but that was at a glance."

Hmmm, In the FBI interview below he states: "The rifle was equipped with a four-power 18 scope of apparent Japanese manufacture".
Is there another FBI report where he states the scope is a 2.5 Weaver?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #416 on: April 17, 2020, 09:05:16 PM »

Offline Gary Craig

« Reply #417 on: April 17, 2020, 09:18:17 PM »
Thanks Gary, for the additional confirmation that the carcano was not touched by anyone until Lt. Day reached down and picked it up by the strap.   However....The rifle may not have been touched but there were boxes of books removed from around the rifle.   Day couldn't have picked up the rifle as he did, if it had been surrounded by the boxes that had hidden it from view.

Obviously this wasn't typed up by Weitzman or signed off by him.
We know officers claimed the alleged snipers nest was cordoned off and nothing touched when in fact that wasn't so.
This particular report smells of CYA.
IMO

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #418 on: April 17, 2020, 11:56:54 PM »
Weitzman WC Testimony

Mr. Ball - I understand that. Now, in your statement to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, you gave a description of the rifle, how it looked.
Mr. WEITZMAN - I said it was a Mauser-type action, didn't I?
Mr. BALL - Mauser bolt action.
Mr. WEITZMAN - And at the time I looked at it, I believe I said it was 2.5 scope on it and I believe I said it was a Weaver but it wasn't; it turned out to be anything but a Weaver, but that was at a glance.
(...)
Mr. WEITZMAN - I believe it was a 2.5 Weaver at the time I looked at it. I didn't look that close at it; it just looked like a 2.5 but it turned out to be a Japanese scope, I believe.

---------------------------------------------------------

Let's see where Weitzman actually read on the rifle that it was a Mauser. Or a Carcano, for that matter. Seems to me that glances are enough proof for some people

The detailed description that Weitzman gave ( if Weitzman gave that description)  in Seyers report is much too detailed to be attributed to just a glance.   

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #418 on: April 17, 2020, 11:56:54 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #419 on: April 18, 2020, 01:56:28 PM »

Obviously this wasn't typed up by Weitzman or signed off by him.
We know officers claimed the alleged snipers nest was cordoned off and nothing touched when in fact that wasn't so.
This particular report smells of CYA.
IMO

In mine too.

Mr. BALL - What happened then?
Mr. BOONE - Some of the other officers came over to look at it. I told them to stand back, not to get around close, they might want to take prints of some of the boxes, and not touch the rifle. And at that time Captain Fritz and an ID man came over. I believe the ID man's name was Lieutenant Day--I am not sure. They came over and the weapon was photographed as it lay. And at that time Captain Fritz picked it up by the strap, and it was removed from the place where it was.
Mr. BELIN. What else did you do in connection with the rifle at that particular time?
Mr. DAY. Captain Fritz was present. After we got the photographs I asked him if he was ready for me to pick it up, and he said, yes. I picked the gun up by the wooden stock. I noted that the stock was too rough apparently to take fingerprints, so I picked it up, and Captain Fritz opened the bolt as I held the gun. A live round fell to the floor
Mr. BALL - The crime lab from the Dallas Police Department?
Mr. WEITZMAN - Yes, sir.
Mr. BALL - Lieutenant Day and Captain Fritz?
Mr. WEITZMAN - I'm not sure what the lieutenant's name was, but I remember Captain Fritz.
Mr. BALL - Did you see Captain Fritz remove anything from the gun?
Mr. WEITZMAN - No, sir; I did not.
Mr. BALL. What happened after that?
Mr. FRITZ. A few minutes later some officer called me and said they had found the rifle over near the back stairway and I told them same thing, not to move it, not to touch it, not to move any of the boxes until we could get pictures, and as soon as Lieutenant Day could get over there he made pictures of that.
Mr. BALL. After the pictures had been taken of the rifle what happened then?
Mr. FRITZ. After the pictures had been made then I ejected a live shell, a live cartridge from the rifle.
Mr. BALL. And who did you give that to?
Mr. FRITZ. I believe that I kept that at that time myself.........
What?...did Capt Fritz think about keeping it as a souvenir?
Deputy Sheriffs Craig and Mooney were not asked who actually picked up the rifle.
We could surmise that Fritz and Day held hands and picked it up together.

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #420 on: April 18, 2020, 02:05:42 PM »
Still waiting for testimony revealing who read 'Mauser' on the rifle

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #420 on: April 18, 2020, 02:05:42 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #421 on: April 18, 2020, 03:21:33 PM »
In mine too.
 What?...did Capt Fritz think about keeping it as a souvenir?
Deputy Sheriffs Craig and Mooney were not asked who actually picked up the rifle.
We could surmise that Fritz and Day held hands and picked it up together.

There's no reason to question the manner in which Day picked up the carcano....Everybody who was there at the time ( at least four officers) said that Day picked it up by the strap....and that's exactly what is seen in the Alyea film.

Offline Gary Craig

« Reply #422 on: April 18, 2020, 04:13:54 PM »
There's no reason to question the manner in which Day picked up the carcano....Everybody who was there at the time ( at least four officers) said that Day picked it up by the strap....and that's exactly what is seen in the Alyea film.

How many wrote and signed notarized affidavits describing a Italian 6.5 Mannlicher-Carcano rifle?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #422 on: April 18, 2020, 04:13:54 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #423 on: April 18, 2020, 04:27:08 PM »
How many wrote and signed notarized affidavits describing a Italian 6.5 Mannlicher-Carcano rifle?

Do you doubt that Day picked up the rifle by the strap?