Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Lee Oswald The Cop Killer  (Read 361963 times)

Offline John Iacoletti

Re: Lee Oswald The Cop Killer
« Reply #904 on: February 26, 2019, 11:39:39 PM »
Advertisement
Markham was telling them that someone who said they were from "City Hall" had called her and told her to keep her mouth shut or she'd find herself in the cross bar hotel.

She had been told at the police station that she was not to talk to reporters...But she did, and when Henry Wade read it he gave her a call....

That's Walt Fabrication #38.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #904 on: February 26, 2019, 11:39:39 PM »

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #905 on: March 09, 2019, 12:26:21 AM »
Anyway, I figure that Michaelis knows what's what regarding this issue more than you or I could.

You can figure that as much as you like but as Michaelis wasn't even working for Seaport (he was a manager for Merchanteers Inc who supervised Seaport Trading) when the order was processed, I wouldn't be so sure about his level of intimate knowledge of their procedures as you want to be. In any event, your comment is nothing more than a weak and flawed "because he said so" appeal to authority. 

Merchanteers operated J.G. Rose's mail-order operations, which operated under it's own name and also DBA Seaport Traders. Michaelis was the office manager for the whole shebang; if anyone knew how Seaport Traders' workflow and documentation operated, it was Michaelis.

inform the shipper that REA had received the COD money and forwarded it to the shipper

And how do you think they forwarded the money? Did they send somebody from Dallas to California with the cash perhaps?
I already said it: "...Seaport Trader's probably did enough business with REA that they had an active account. I'm willing to bet that the draft was simply credited to ST's REA account, and whatever money was paid to REA was the balance of the account after it had been settled for the week/fortnight/month."

Seaport Traders' possession of the completed document is demonstration that the item had indeed been paid for by the consignee.

Really? So, you claim that somehow the invoice was returned to Seaport in addition to the COD money?
No. I claimed that the "Brief of information for COD Shipment," (Michaelis Ex 5/DL-30) was returned. Michaelis Ex. 2/DL-28 and Ex. 3/DL-27 are the copies of the invoice that Seaport Traders kept for reference.

So, you get you "knowledge" from an on line dictionary? Wow! By it self what the dictionary says is true, but the problem here is that there is no witness who could identify the revolver by an easily identifiable feature like the serial number, because nobody really saw the revolver up close until Hill produced it at the police station. So, what you would be left with is the identification by initials inscribed in the item by the officer who collected it. This of course is again a massive problem because, until Hill produced the revolver at the lunchroom of the police station some two hours after Oswald was arrested, nobody had placed any initials on it. And, if memory serves, some of the initials on the revolver are from officers who actually never handled the revolver at all.
I've been getting my information from people who've dealt with these sorts of issues, one of whom pointed me to the SCSC decision I put up in another post. The links I've posted are there as a reference, so you don't just have to take my work for it. By contrast, you've yet to offer us anything other than your own unsupported assertions.

This kinda brings you back to square one; a chain of custody exists to prevent and/or eliminate, as much as possible, the possibility of tampering with the evidence. Due to the two hour gap between Oswald's arrest and the initialing of the revolver at the police station's lunchroom nobody has any way of knowing if the revolver Hill produced was indeed the same one as the one taken from Oswald at the Texas Theater.

You destroy your own argument as a revolver is in fact a piece of fungible evidence as it can be substituted!

Your quotes are ok. They just work against you.

So far so good. It would be fair to conclude that what Hill received was in fact the revolver taken from Oswald

But then, this happened;

Which is exactly where the problem lies; None of the officers who initialed the revolver Hill gave them had any way of knowing that this was in fact the revolver taken from Oswald. All they knew is that Hill told them it was, but even Hill had no evidence for that!

I have already explained how wrong you are. I can't explain it any better, but I'll give it one more try by asking you a simple question;

We agree that Hill took possession of the revolver taken from Oswald at the Texas Theater. And we also agree that the DPD officers initialled the revolver now in evidence some two hours later in the DPD lunchroom after Hill showed the weapon to them.

So, here is the question; How do we know with any kind of certainty that the revolver initialed by the DPD officers is in fact the same revolver as the one taken from Oswald some two hours earlier?

And, when you answer bare in mind that a chain of custody authentication of evidence just about always comes up when the word of a law enforcement officer about that evidence is questioned or challenged.

So, please try to answer the question with something else than "because Hill told us so"! Can you do that?

That being said,  the problem is that you have yet to show that there is a bad light on the investigation here.

Classic LN reversed burden of proof BS. The claim is that the revolver is authentic. That needs to be proven!

The best you can do is insinuate that Hill might have done something with the weapon taken from Oswald, but you have no evidence whatsoever to support the supposition.

I do not insinuate anything nor do I need evidence. The law says that evidence has to be authenticated in order to prevent tampering by law enforcement (which, and this might come as a shock to you, does indeed happen from time to time). One of the ways to do so is by producing a sound chain of custody!

Without such evidence, you instead try to assert some strict standard behavior regarding chain of possession, but a little digging appears to show that no such standard actually exist.

Actually what seems not to exist is an ability on your part to understand what is written.
On the other side of the thread fork, I think I'm now getting you to understanding that the evidence rules for something like the revolver aren't as rigorous as you'd previously thought. From what I've been told, in court it would really just be the prosecutor asking Hill, Carroll, and McDonald if they could identify the weapon, and once they did, it would be admitted. Further, I'm informed that attempting to attack the chain of custody on an item considered non-fungible at this point isn't considered a good strategy: "It raises this big flag to the judge, prosecution, and jury, that says 'DESPERATION MOVE.'" Of, course, a desperate defense attorney may have no better choice. So far as criminal law is concerned, without positive evidence that a non-fungible item was altered, replaced, or misplaced, there is no good reason in attempting the argument. And the normal standard of guilt is "beyond a reasonable doubt," not "to an epistemological certainty."

That being said, I continue to be mystified by your repeated reference to some lunchroom meeting. Going back through the record, there is no reference to a meeting in a lunchroom, or to Hill going off by himself with the pistol, as you've based your argument on.

What the record presents: MacDonald testified that he grabbed the pistol from Oswald. Carroll testified that he seized the weapon from McDonald's hand during the scuffle, which McDonald's testimony corroborates. Hill and Carroll testified that Carroll gave Hill the pistol. The short rest of the story is that Hill, Carroll, Lyons, and Bentley proceeded to the personnel office to write out reports on the arrest, where they were later joined by Hawkins and McDonald. Hill, Carroll, and Hawkins testified either that they initialed the gun in the personnel office and/or saw someone else do it.

What the record does not present: anything involving a lunchroom, or that the gun was marked in a lunchroom, or that Hill somehow slipped away from everyone at any point between his being given the weapon and the point at which the pistol was marked.

I really have no idea where you got the "lunchroom" from. Hill said they went "across the hall for a cup of coffee" at some point after finishing the arrest reports (this was probably to the dispatch office, given the floor plan) but neither Hill nor anyone else mentioned a lunchroom. In fact, there was no a lunchroom on the 3rd floor. So how did the lunchroom enter the conversation? And where did the idea that Hill disappeared with the pistol come from? If you look at the testimony, Carroll was with Hill from inside the Texas Theatre through the marking of the revolver. Carroll then is in the presence of the gun the entire time, so he would know it was the same weapon that he seized in the theater, pretty much voiding the argument you keep trying to make.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #906 on: March 09, 2019, 01:20:09 AM »
Merchanteers operated J.G. Rose's mail-order operations, which operated under it's own name and also DBA Seaport Traders. Michaelis was the office manager for the whole shebang; if anyone knew how Seaport Traders' workflow and documentation operated, it was Michaelis.

Show me a manager and I'll show you the person who most likely has the least clue about what goes on on the shop floor.

I already said it: "...Seaport Trader's probably did enough business with REA that they had an active account. I'm willing to bet that the draft was simply credited to ST's REA account, and whatever money was paid to REA was the balance of the account after it had been settled for the week/fortnight/month."

Nice bit of speculation, but not a shred of evidence for it. The fact remains that there is no explanation of how Sea Port Trading received the balance of the money.

No. I claimed that the "Brief of information for COD Shipment," (Michaelis Ex 5/DL-30) was returned. Michaelis Ex. 2/DL-28 and Ex. 3/DL-27 are the copies of the invoice that Seaport Traders kept for reference.

Great, now support your claim with actual evidence.

I've been getting my information from people who've dealt with these sorts of issues, one of whom pointed me to the SCSC decision I put up in another post. The links I've posted are there as a reference, so you don't just have to take my work for it. By contrast, you've yet to offer us anything other than your own unsupported assertions.

Wow an appeal to authority? But being actually one of those people who've dealt with these sorts of issues, I am not just taking your word for it. Sorry!

On the other side of the thread fork, I think I'm now getting you to understanding that the evidence rules for something like the revolver aren't as rigorous as you'd previously thought.

I am not sure where you are getting this from, but I'll be more than happy to leave you under that impression.

From what I've been told, in court it would really just be the prosecutor asking Hill, Carroll, and McDonald if they could identify the weapon, and once they did, it would be admitted.

And what idiot told you that? The revolver would be admitted at trial unless the defense objects to it in a motion to exclude and even then it's ultimately up to the Judge to decide. If the prosecution can make even a tentative case that the revolver has a connection to the crime the Judge will probably allow it over the objections of the defense. Judges, in general, don't like excluding evidence as a decision to exclude might be grounds for an appeal. Having said that, with this kind of shaky chain of custody, no defense lawyer would be foolish enough to object. Sometimes it's simply easier to destroy evidence after it has been admitted.

Further, I'm informed that attempting to attack the chain of custody on an item considered non-fungible at this point isn't considered a good strategy: "It raises this big flag to the judge, prosecution, and jury, that says 'DESPERATION MOVE.'" Of, course, a desperate defense attorney may have no better choice.

Oh boy... who is telling you this crap? Who cares if something raises a ''big flag'' (whatever that means) with the Judge or the prosecution? It's the jury that matters?. Remember the OJ trial and the gloves that were admitted into evidence? Carson destroyed the prosecution argument by having OJ putting them on and then say ''If it don't fit, you must acquit''. It worked for that jury.... Anyway, the point being that you seem to rely on information from somebody who hasn't got a clue about trial strategy or, alternatively, you've done some on line ''research'' and have concocted all this crap on your own.

So far as criminal law is concerned, without positive evidence that a non-fungible item was altered, replaced, or misplaced, there is no good reason in attempting the argument. And the normal standard of guilt is "beyond a reasonable doubt," not "to an epistemological certainty."

The ''beyond reasonable doubt'' standard applies to a jury in a criminal trial and anybody who knows anything about criminal trials knows that you never know what a jury considers to be reasonable doubt

That being said, I continue to be mystified by your repeated reference to some lunchroom meeting. Going back through the record, there is no reference to a meeting in a lunchroom, or to Hill going off by himself with the pistol, as you've based your argument on.

What the record presents: MacDonald testified that he grabbed the pistol from Oswald. Carroll testified that he seized the weapon from McDonald's hand during the scuffle, which McDonald's testimony corroborates. Hill and Carroll testified that Carroll gave Hill the pistol. The short rest of the story is that Hill, Carroll, Lyons, and Bentley proceeded to the personnel office to write out reports on the arrest, where they were later joined by Hawkins and McDonald. Hill, Carroll, and Hawkins testified either that they initialed the gun in the personnel office and/or saw someone else do it.

What the record does not present: anything involving a lunchroom, or that the gun was marked in a lunchroom, or that Hill somehow slipped away from everyone at any point between his being given the weapon and the point at which the pistol was marked.

I really have no idea where you got the "lunchroom" from. Hill said they went "across the hall for a cup of coffee" at some point after finishing the arrest reports (this was probably to the dispatch office, given the floor plan) but neither Hill nor anyone else mentioned a lunchroom. In fact, there was no a lunchroom on the 3rd floor. So how did the lunchroom enter the conversation? And where did the idea that Hill disappeared with the pistol come from? If you look at the testimony, Carroll was with Hill from inside the Texas Theatre through the marking of the revolver. Carroll then is in the presence of the gun the entire time, so he would know it was the same weapon that he seized in the theater, pretty much voiding the argument you keep trying to make.

Big deal... they went to get a coffee and I called it a lunchroom meeting. At the end of the day it's the same thing; they got together over coffee and initialed a revolver that was shown to them!

What the record presents: MacDonald testified that he grabbed the pistol from Oswald. Carroll testified that he seized the weapon from McDonald's hand during the scuffle, which McDonald's testimony corroborates. Hill and Carroll testified that Carroll gave Hill the pistol.

Nobody argues with any of that. It only establishes that Hill had the revolver when they got into the car at the Texas Theater.

The short rest of the story is that Hill, Carroll, Lyons, and Bentley proceeded to the personnel office to write out reports on the arrest, where they were later joined by Hawkins and McDonald. Hill, Carroll, and Hawkins testified either that they initialed the gun in the personnel office and/or saw someone else do it.

And this is where the problem lies. This happened about two hours after Oswald was brought into the DPD building. Nobody knows what Hill was doing during all that time, carrying around a revolver which he should have presented to the evidence locker straight away. When Hill presented a revolver to the other officers they all initialed it without actually knowing it was the same revolver. Even worse, some of the people who put their initial on it never really handled the revolver to begin with. What a feast that would have been for a defense lawyer!

If you look at the testimony, Carroll was with Hill from inside the Texas Theatre through the marking of the revolver. Carroll then is in the presence of the gun the entire time, so he would know it was the same weapon that he seized in the theater, pretty much voiding the argument you keep trying to make.

Carroll did not testify that he was with Hill all the time. You are reading something in his testimony that simply isn't there. Maybe you were impressed by Carroll covering for his buddy Hill.... One cop having the other one's back... wow what a shocker, something like that never happens, right?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:09:35 PM by Martin Weidmann »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #906 on: March 09, 2019, 01:20:09 AM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #907 on: March 09, 2019, 11:59:32 PM »
Show me a manager and I'll show you the person who most likely has the least clue about what goes on on the shop floor.

Michaelis wasn?t even in that position when this sale allegedly took place.

Nobody argues with any of that. It only establishes that Hill had the revolver when they got into the car at the Texas Theater.

I take issue with Mitch?s claim that McDonald?s testimony corroborates Carroll. McDonald didn?t know who grabbed the gun from him.

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #908 on: March 11, 2019, 04:15:40 PM »
Michaelis wasn?t even in that position when this sale allegedly took place.

I take issue with Mitch?s claim that McDonald?s testimony corroborates Carroll. McDonald didn?t know who grabbed the gun from him.

BFD. Carroll did.

Back in the day, I didn't know who passed the puck to me on a goal I scored one day. It was in the middle of a melee near the net. Well the guy who passed it did. The referee confirmed it.

But nothing will ever be confirmed in your universe. You'd call that referee a liar.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #908 on: March 11, 2019, 04:15:40 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #909 on: March 11, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »
Yes...read the thread. Especially when Gary Craig sets about refuting all the claims in the first post...which is merely a verbatim recital of the Warren Report's fallacious conclusions imprinted in the 'mind' of a stuck in the mud staunch defender of this absolutely irrevocable fable....and for his effort Gary is called an idiot by this same uh ...individual.

Still waiting for your killer and conspiracy to show up

Guessing doesn't count

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #910 on: March 11, 2019, 04:42:05 PM »
BFD. Carroll did.

Back in the day, I didn't know who passed the puck to me on a goal I scored one day. It was in the middle of a melee near the net. Well the guy who passed it did. The referee confirmed it.

But nothing will ever be confirmed in your universe. You'd call that referee a liar.

I didn't know who passed the puck to me on a goal I scored one day.

This explains a lot..... it answers many questions about your mental problem....   You've had your little brain rattled a few too many times....

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #910 on: March 11, 2019, 04:42:05 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #911 on: March 11, 2019, 04:48:51 PM »
Did you hear the part where Lane told her that he was from "the police department of the city hall"?  I didn't either, but Markham sure did!

She's eccentric
So was Yogi Berra
BFD

Oh, btw did you read the part where she ID'd Mystery Guest #2?