Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Tippit shooting: How to approach a murder suspect ...  (Read 14411 times)

Offline J?rn Frending

Re: Tippit shooting: How to approach a murder suspect ...
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 01:02:50 AM »
Advertisement
Do ya think that Tippit was drunk?

Hello Walt ...

Yes, whatever would make him fearless ... But being furious could have the same effect ... And it may well be so for those of us who have read about Tipper's "race" prior to this, but that's another story ...

I'm pleased to see that you seem to be well and do still keep people occupied on the forum ... (Smile)

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 01:02:50 AM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 01:27:40 AM »
Do ya think that Tippit was drunk?

Somebody was.
Because I read earlier that Tippit had made a phone call from a record store at the same time..he was getting shot!
Practically....

1:11:00 Top Ten Record shop owner J.W. Stark and clerk Louis Cortinas claim that Tippit came into the store on West Jefferson and made a phone call at this time. Getting no answer, Tippit reportedly left heading north to Sunset, then east. Helen Markham leaves her residence to catch a bus at Patton and Jefferson.
1:13:00 p.m.    Jimmy Burt and William Smith talk in the front yard of 505 East Tenth. Burt spots a man, believed to be Oswald, across the street walking west.
1:14:00 p.m. Helen Markham reaches the corner of Tenth and Patton and waits for traffic to pass, including Tippit's squad car headed east. She sees Tippit stop alongside Oswald, who is walking east.
1:14:20 p.m. Jack Tatum, driving west on Tenth, passes Tippit's squad car. Oswald, standing on the passenger side of Tippit's car, is leaning down talking to Tippit through the open vent window with both hands in his zipper jacket.
1:14:30 p.m.    Oswald pulls a gun from under his jacket and shoots Tippit four times. He escapes headed south on Patton toward Jefferson, as Barbara and Virginia Davis watch.
1:18:59 p.m. An ambulance arrives at the Tippit shooting scene. Several citizens help attendants load Tippit's body. They depart within a minute.   
https://www.jdtippit.com/timetable_nov.htm

Notice how it all comes down to precisely the nearest second? ::)   

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »
Hello Walt ...

Yes, whatever would make him fearless ... But being furious could have the same effect ... And it may well be so for those of us who have read about Tipper's "race" prior to this, but that's another story ...

I'm pleased to see that you seem to be well and do still keep people occupied on the forum ... (Smile)

Hi Jorn....I'm happy to see you posting again....  I hope you're in good health.   

Clearly you've done your homework or have acquired  the knowledge through experience, about the differences between the .38 caliber ...the .38 special.... the 38 auto and the 380 auto.   

However, I believe you've slipped a bit in this statement.   

I started this topic because in another thread someone claimed that a .38 auto is the same as a .380 which is of course not true but to my astonishment nobody protested about it. I then realized how little or how poorly we actually treat the shooting event or gunfight it self.

The .38 AUTO is similar (close) in dimensions to the .38 special but as it is semi rimmed it can be used in both revolvers and automatics. It does read .38 AUTO on the headstamp to the contrary of other .38 calibers designed for revolvers only.

The 38 ACP cartridge case ( .900") is only about 3/4 as long as a 38 special case ( 1.155") .

But I most certainly believe you're right on the mark in this statement.... "I then realized how little or how poorly we actually treat the shooting event or gunfight it self."

You're absolutely right...The event itself has been brushed aside and details ignored....   As you've so aptly pointed out the "gunfight" was no gunfight at all....  A trained and alert police officer was outdrawn and killed in the blink of an eye.

This was no act of a casual "plinker"....   Whoever shot JD Tippit was a professional and very good with a handgun. all of his shots hit in the upper body....   And he wasn't using an old worn out S&W revolver.........

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »

Offline J?rn Frending

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
Hi Jorn....I'm happy to see you posting again....  I hope you're in good health.   

Clearly you've done your homework or have acquired  the knowledge through experience, about the differences between the .38 caliber ...the .38 special.... the 38 auto and the 380 auto.   

However, I believe you've slipped a bit in this statement.   

I started this topic because in another thread someone claimed that a .38 auto is the same as a .380 which is of course not true but to my astonishment nobody protested about it. I then realized how little or how poorly we actually treat the shooting event or gunfight it self.

The .38 AUTO is similar (close) in dimensions to the .38 special but as it is semi rimmed it can be used in both revolvers and automatics. It does read .38 AUTO on the headstamp to the contrary of other .38 calibers designed for revolvers only.

The 38 ACP cartridge case ( .900") is only about 3/4 as long as a 38 special case ( 1.155") .

But I most certainly believe you're right on the mark in this statement.... "I then realized how little or how poorly we actually treat the shooting event or gunfight it self."

You're absolutely right...The event itself has been brushed aside and details ignored....   As you've so aptly pointed out the "gunfight" was no gunfight at all....  A trained and alert police officer was outdrawn and killed in the blink of an eye.

This was no act of a casual "plinker"....   Whoever shot JD Tippit was a professional and very good with a handgun. all of his shots hit in the upper body....   And he wasn't using an old worn out S&W revolver.........

Thanks Walt, yes there are some indications that we are talking of an excellent shooter.

Tippet already had his gun out and (since he fell on it) got the hits in the time he tried to raise it. This means that the shots came fairly quickly.

From an old drawing or photograph I remember seeing that the shots were spaced but placed in the same (imaginary) vertical line.

When shooting at a narrow but tall target you risk that the shots miss to either side if you are trying to keep the gun still.

However, if you move the gun in an upwards or downwards movement WHILE SHOOTING there is a greater chance that you don't miss although you may not necessarily hit  dead center on every shot, but it enables you to shoot even when walking.

Now, this is not a shooting fashion which you train at the range on a day out.

This could indicate that we are talking about another policeman or a set up.

However, please take this message an illustration of why this man seem to be so good. I want to keep this as a serious thread.

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 04:40:16 PM »
Spot on ... poor dumb cop!

The WC had two pointers unexpectedly thrown at them which were a direct thread to their agenda and thus had to be ignored:

Mr. BELIN. Where was the police car parked?
Mrs. DAVIS. It was parked between the hedge that marks the apartment house where he lives in and the house next door.

Mr. BELIN. Then what did you see?
Mr. SCOGGINS. I noticed he stopped down there, and I wasn't paying too much attention to the man, you see, just used to see him every day, but then I kind of looked down the street, saw this, someone, that looked to me like he was going west, now, I couldn't exactly say whether he was going west or was in the process of turning around, but he was facing west when I saw him.

"poor dumb cop!"

Yes, indeed..... Isn't this exactly what a PRO might utter ?      The "poor dumb cop" should never have reached for his revolver....  That action triggered the response that ended his life.

Scoggins ... "I couldn't exactly say whether he was going west or was in the process of turning around, but he was facing west when I saw him."

And Helen Markham said that the man that Tippit was tailing  was walking west......Which makes the idea that the man was Lee Oswald even more absurd.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:50:19 PM by Walt Cakebread »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 04:40:16 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »
Thanks Walt, yes there are some indications that we are talking of an excellent shooter.

Tippet already had his gun out and (since he fell on it) got the hits in the time he tried to raise it. This means that the shots came fairly quickly.

From an old drawing or photograph I remember seeing that the shots were spaced but placed in the same (imaginary) vertical line.

When shooting at a narrow but tall target you risk that the shots miss to either side if you are trying to keep the gun still.

However, if you move the gun in an upwards or downwards movement WHILE SHOOTING there is a greater chance that you don't miss although you may not necessarily hit  dead center on every shot, but it enables you to shoot even when walking.

Now, this is not a shooting fashion which you train at the range on a day out.

This could indicate that we are talking about another policeman or a set up.

However, please take this message an illustration of why this man seem to be so good. I want to keep this as a serious thread.

"yes there are some indications that we are talking of an excellent shooter."

I would add... That this eliminates Lee Oswald as the killer.   To become as proficient as the killer was, it takes a lot of practice and many cartons of ammunition.....Lee Oswald had neither the time nor the money required to burn up cartons of ammo....

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 05:15:59 PM »

Mrs. DAVIS. It was parked between the hedge that marks the apartment house where he lives in and the house next door. [/i]

Would add for the readers that Tippit didn't 'live' there...I believe that it was his girlfriend that did.
What sayeth Walt and others?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 05:15:59 PM »

Offline Louis Earl

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 05:52:11 PM »
Does anyone know where Tippit's girlfriend DID live?