Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Was There a Dedicated Fork Lift Operator for the TSBD Warehouse?  (Read 5327 times)

Offline Royell Storing

Re: Was There a Dedicated Fork Lift Operator for the TSBD Warehouse?
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 12:47:40 AM »
Advertisement
Really?, these guys seem to be having NO problems loading/unloading these trucks with a Hand Jack.

The Depository had a loading dock which provided access for rear unloading of trucks, which means that the stock was removed with a pallet jack or by hand.

An alternative is that larger trucks with curtains could be side unloaded with a forklift but how common were these type of trucks in 1963? Also a flatbed truck could transport the freight but without a roof the stock/books would be exposed to the elements?

The stock which was in the Depository was mostly just piled up on the floor which means that the boxes were all moved by hand. Even stock near the Loading dock was just on the floor.

Besides the odd pallet, the majority of stock on the 6th floor was just on the floor.

Btw you know how we can tell that Royell is talking crap? His mouth is moving! Hahaha!

JohnM

The Hand Jacks pictured are modern day. To get a better idea of what they were working with inside the TSBD in 1963, take a look at that dolly that was photographed close to the bottle of Dr Pepper near the snipers nest. That dolly was Nothing like the above pictured Hand Jacks. Not even remotely close, right down to the wheels. Regarding the boxes pictured sitting on the floor, those boxes are SPOTTED as a full pallet is wheeled around the floor by an antiquated Dolly. The major problem in using a "63" Hand Jack would be struggling to Drag every loaded pallet Up and Over the Dock Plate which runs between the dock and the truck.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 12:49:34 AM by Royell Storing »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 12:47:40 AM »

Offline James Hackerott

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 12:57:34 AM »
Are you a doctor?
Nobody can read their scribbles, either.
LOL! No, but mom once told me that she should have let stay a lefty. Who knows. Have you tried reading the notes with a mirror? ::)

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2020, 01:17:29 AM »
     The Hand Jacks pictured are modern day. To get a better idea of what they were working with inside the TSBD in 1963, take a look at that dolly that was photographed close to the bottle of Dr Pepper near the snipers nest. That dolly was Nothing like the above pictured Hand Jacks. Not even remotely close, right down to the wheels. Regarding the boxes pictured sitting on the floor, those boxes are SPOTTED as a full pallet is wheeled around the floor by an antiquated Dolly. The major problem in using a "63" Hand Jack would be struggling to Drag every loaded pallet Up and Over the Dock Plate which runs between the dock and the truck.

The Hand Jacks pictured are modern day.

No kidding Einstein, but you implied that it was laughable to unload a truck with a "hand jack" and you were wrong.

To get a better idea of what they were working with inside the TSBD in 1963, take a look at that dolly that was photographed close to the bottle of Dr Pepper near the snipers nest.

I already showed the lack of pallets on the upper floors, so what point are you trying to make? Btw pallet jacks have been available as far back as 1918 as seen in this issue of Popular Science.

That dolly was Nothing like the above pictured Hand Jacks.

Listening is clearly not your forte, as I have repeatedly stated and shown with photos, that the stock on the 6th floor was virtually exclusively just placed on the floor so a hand jack was not needed on the upper floors and the boxes were just moved with trolleys.

Not even remotely close, right down to the wheels.

Right down to the wheels you say, do go on?

Regarding the boxes pictured sitting on the floor, those boxes are SPOTTED as a full pallet is wheeled around the floor by an antiquated Dolly.

Cite?

The major problem in using a "63" Hand Jack would be struggling to Drag every loaded pallet Up and Over the Dock Plate which runs between the dock and the truck.

Hand Jacks available today don't have motorized wheels, so explain why you see a problem?

JohnM

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2020, 01:17:29 AM »

Offline Royell Storing

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2020, 05:33:24 AM »

John -  In 1963: (1) the TSBD Hand Jacks were antiquated, (2) The TSBD Dock Plates were antiquated, (3) The TSBD Docks were antiquated. You obviously have no idea how a 1963 dock plate even worked. The pictures of Hand Jacks and Docks that you posted are worthless in relation to what was being used in 1963. Night vs Day equipment.   

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2020, 06:15:56 PM »
LOL! No, but mom once told me that she should have let stay a lefty. Who knows. Have you tried reading the notes with a mirror? ::)

Nah. Only Leonardo's.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 06:21:55 PM by Bill Chapman »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2020, 06:15:56 PM »

Offline Larry Trotter

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2020, 07:28:57 PM »
    You obviously have Never attempted to move a Loaded Pallet into or out of a truck with a Hand Jack or a "Dolly". Your "2 wheeled dolly" suggestion is Laughable.

You are correct that I never attempted to move a weight bearing "Loaded Pallet" into or out of a truck, or a trailer, with a 2-Wheel HandTruck/Dolly. However, I have moved tons of freight daily using a 2-Wheel HandTruck/Dolly. But, I do not know what your "Hand Jack" reference is meant to indicate. Or, is that perhaps meant as a reference to a Pallet Jack?

I would not think it a good idea to stack pallets loaded with cardboard boxes containing books. And, to me that indicates pallet movement could be accomplished with a Pallet Jack.

Offline Royell Storing

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2020, 07:53:41 PM »
You are correct that I never attempted to move a weight bearing "Loaded Pallet" into or out of a truck, or a trailer, with a 2-Wheel HandTruck/Dolly. However, I have moved tons of freight daily using a 2-Wheel HandTruck/Dolly. But, I do not know what your "Hand Jack" reference is meant to indicate. Or, is that perhaps meant as a reference to a Pallet Jack?

I would not think it a good idea to stack pallets loaded with cardboard boxes containing books. And, to me that indicates pallet movement could be accomplished with a Pallet Jack.

You mention moving "tons of freight daily", but you do Not mention doing this while Completely Loading or Unloading a Freight Truck. A legit Freight Truck is Not unloaded with a 2 wheeled Hand Dolly like we see used to unload a run-of-the-mill U-Haul Moving Van. The Size/Depth of the TSBD Loading dock area tells you the size and load capacity of trucks being received at the TSBD. A Hand Jack has nothing but the user to power it forward or backward. Lifting a load up from the ground requires the user to pump the handle of the hand jack up-n-down. They usually have a max height off the ground of somewhere around 5-6 inches. There is No battery to power the lifting of pallets Up from the ground. The raising is kinda like we see with a floor jack slid underneath a car.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 08:00:07 PM by Royell Storing »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2020, 07:53:41 PM »

Offline Larry Trotter

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2020, 09:26:44 PM »
     You mention moving "tons of freight daily", but you do Not mention doing this while Completely Loading or Unloading a Freight Truck. A legit Freight Truck is Not unloaded with a 2 wheeled Hand Dolly like we see used to unload a run-of-the-mill U-Haul Moving Van. The Size/Depth of the TSBD Loading dock area tells you the size and load capacity of trucks being received at the TSBD. A Hand Jack has nothing but the user to power it forward or backward. Lifting a load up from the ground requires the user to pump the handle of the hand jack up-n-down. They usually have a max height off the ground of somewhere around 5-6 inches. There is No battery to power the lifting of pallets Up from the ground. The raising is kinda like we see with a floor jack slid underneath a car.

Oh, where to begin a response? So, perhaps some discussion ending questions.

Since the books at the TexasSchoolBookDepository had an ultimate destination to schools, do you, MrStoring,
have any estimate about the number of schools in '63, in Texas, that had loading/unloading docks? Do you have any estimate about the number of schools in '63, in Texas, that had Forklifts? And, do you have any estimate about the number of schools in '63, in Texas, that were equipped with elevators when there were two or more floor levels?