Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Lee Oswald The Cop Killer  (Read 358248 times)

Online Martin Weidmann

Re: Lee Oswald The Cop Killer
« Reply #2200 on: May 17, 2021, 12:19:55 AM »
Advertisement
This was the relevant part of the post in question:

On the tapes 602 responds to the address 510 E. Jefferson, state when they get there, ask what the address was (as, presumably, there's nothing going on), they are given the correct address (only a few seconds drive from where they are) and they announce they have arrived "Code 6" (whether you can make it out or not it is part of a sequence).
Butler reports that when he gets to the scene Tippit is lying in the street, covered by a blanket (or a coat). They pull it back to discover the victim is a policeman and Butler gets straight back on the radio to call this in. On the tapes, 602 is trying to call at the time of Callaway's call and don't seem to get through. Butler describes this precise sequence of events - arriving at the scene (calling in their arrival), finding the victim is a police officer, getting back on the radio to call "Mayday" but he can't get through and gives up (because Callaway is making his call). It is after this they load Tippit into the ambulance.

It is clear from the transcripts that, although 602 calls "Code 3" before the Callaway call there is not enough time for the ambulance to pull up, for Butler to check on Tippit and then make his aborted call and, then, for Tippit's body to be loaded into the ambulance before Callaway makes his call.

I believe this confirms the timeline Martin puts forward but I don't know what the big deal is as it has zero bearing on Oswald's guilt as far as the Tippit murder is concerned.

I believe this confirms the timeline Martin puts forward but I don't know what the big deal is as it has zero bearing on Oswald's guilt as far as the Tippit murder is concerned.

Agreed to some extent, but point well taken. Why fight the obvious time line and defend the DPD radio recordings/transcripts if one is not preoccupied with the possibe consequences?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2200 on: May 17, 2021, 12:19:55 AM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #2201 on: May 17, 2021, 12:21:37 AM »
Absolutely. The shells were not from an automatic weapon. Thankfully, I haven't seen anyone recently argue in favor of that, however. They're learning, slowly.

They're learning, slowly.

Get off your high horse! The truck carrying your ego is delayed!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:34:36 AM by Martin Weidmann »

Offline Dan O'meara

« Reply #2202 on: May 17, 2021, 03:02:33 AM »

Agreed to some extent, but point well taken. Why fight the obvious time line and defend the DPD radio recordings/transcripts if one is not preoccupied with the possibe consequences?

Consequences ?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2202 on: May 17, 2021, 03:02:33 AM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #2203 on: May 17, 2021, 08:42:40 AM »
Consequences ?

If Tippit was killed at around 1:09 and Oswald was still at the rooming house at 1:03 there wouldn't have been enough time for him to get to 10th street on foot.

Offline Dan O'meara

« Reply #2204 on: May 17, 2021, 12:08:08 PM »
Thumb1:

"...Oswald's guilt..." -- LOL

You seem to have little confidence in Mr. Wright:

I saw that man drive off in a grey coupe just as clear as I was born. I know what I saw The can say all they want about a fellow running away, but I can’t accept this because I saw a fellow get in a car and drive away.

You're not wrong.

What is the fantastical explanation for Markham, Benevides and Scoggins not seeing this.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2204 on: May 17, 2021, 12:08:08 PM »

Offline Dan O'meara

« Reply #2205 on: May 17, 2021, 01:00:13 PM »
If Tippit was killed at around 1:09 and Oswald was still at the rooming house at 1:03 there wouldn't have been enough time for him to get to 10th street on foot.

Right, I thought you were talking about personal consequences [my bad]

Agreed that it is unrealistic for Oswald to run 0.9 miles in 6 minutes to get there but there is no evidence, literally zero, that he left the rooming house at 1:03 PM
The only thing I can think you're basing that time on is the testimony of Earlene Roberts in which she says:

"Now, it must have been around 1 o'clock, or maybe a little after..."

This would seem to suggest a time around 1:03 PM taken in tandem with her observation that Oswald was in his room for "3 or 4 minutes".
However, when she qualifies why she believes it is "a little later" than 1 o'clock it is revealed she only has a vague grasp of what time it is:

" Now, it must have been around 1 o'clock, or maybe a little after, because it was after President Kennedy had been shot-what time I wouldn't want to say..."

She believes it's 1:00 PM because it's after JFK was shot!
Not because she saw it on a watch or a clock or heard it on the TV.
She actually says "what time I wouldn't want to say".
She is clearly guessing at the time and using the shooting of JFK to gauge this estimation.
To stick a specific time on this is unrealistic (IMO)
The best we can hope to do is give it a realistic range of times for when Oswald leaves the house.
It's not a question of undermining the reliability of Roberts' testimony, it's just accepting that she reveals her uncertainty regarding the time in what she says. Her uncertainty regarding his shirt is also revealed.
Conversely, she is absolutely certain about a couple of aspects of this interaction:

1) That Oswald was in a big hurry
2) That he was wearing a zip-up jacket when he left the house

As far as I'm concerned, a reasonable interpretation of Roberts' testimony reveals these two things.
A reasonable interpretation of her testimony does not allow to put a specific time on when Oswald left the rooming house.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #2206 on: May 17, 2021, 01:45:34 PM »
Right, I thought you were talking about personal consequences [my bad]

Agreed that it is unrealistic for Oswald to run 0.9 miles in 6 minutes to get there but there is no evidence, literally zero, that he left the rooming house at 1:03 PM
The only thing I can think you're basing that time on is the testimony of Earlene Roberts in which she says:

"Now, it must have been around 1 o'clock, or maybe a little after..."

This would seem to suggest a time around 1:03 PM taken in tandem with her observation that Oswald was in his room for "3 or 4 minutes".
However, when she qualifies why she believes it is "a little later" than 1 o'clock it is revealed she only has a vague grasp of what time it is:

" Now, it must have been around 1 o'clock, or maybe a little after, because it was after President Kennedy had been shot-what time I wouldn't want to say..."

She believes it's 1:00 PM because it's after JFK was shot!
Not because she saw it on a watch or a clock or heard it on the TV.
She actually says "what time I wouldn't want to say".
She is clearly guessing at the time and using the shooting of JFK to gauge this estimation.
To stick a specific time on this is unrealistic (IMO)
The best we can hope to do is give it a realistic range of times for when Oswald leaves the house.
It's not a question of undermining the reliability of Roberts' testimony, it's just accepting that she reveals her uncertainty regarding the time in what she says. Her uncertainty regarding his shirt is also revealed.
Conversely, she is absolutely certain about a couple of aspects of this interaction:

1) That Oswald was in a big hurry
2) That he was wearing a zip-up jacket when he left the house

As far as I'm concerned, a reasonable interpretation of Roberts' testimony reveals these two things.
A reasonable interpretation of her testimony does not allow to put a specific time on when Oswald left the rooming house.

Now, it must have been around 1 o'clock, or maybe a little after..."

Indeed, but it needs to be placed in context. She said that she was trying to get the television to work so she could watch the 1 PM news to find out more about Kennedy.

Also, the evidence presented by the WC about Oswald's journey from the TSBD to the rooming house does not leave much room for him to have arrived prior to 1 PM.

And you also need to take in account that the fastest way on foot from the rooming house to 10th street takes 11 minutes, according to a split time trial Gary Mack did some years ago. Personally I'm not convinced of that time, because I am a fast walker and when I walked the distance it took me 12,5 minutes.

If Tippit was shot at 1:09, then Oswald must have been there at least a minute earlier, which means 1:08. Obviously that would mean that he left the rooming house at around 12:56 which, IMO, is impossible.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2206 on: May 17, 2021, 01:45:34 PM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #2207 on: May 17, 2021, 02:01:40 PM »

Now, it must have been around 1 o'clock, or maybe a little after..."

Indeed, but it needs to be placed in context. She said that she was trying to get the television to work so she could watch the 1 PM news to find out more about Kennedy.

Also, the evidence presented by the WC about Oswald's journey from the TSBD to the rooming house does not leave much room for him to have arrived prior to 1 PM.

And you also need to take in account that the fastest way on foot from the rooming house to 10th street takes 11 minutes, according to a split time trial Gary Mack did some years ago. Personally I'm not convinced of that time, because I am a fast walker and when I walked the distance it took me 12,5 minutes.

If Tippit was shot at 1:09, then Oswald must have been there at least a minute earlier, which means 1:08. Obviously that would mean that he left the rooming house at around 12:56 which, IMO, is impossible.

The timeline is relevant only if there is any actual doubt that Oswald was at the Tippit scene when he was murdered.  It alone doesn't create doubt if we otherwise have sufficient evidence that Oswald was there.  That is like trying to convince someone holding a winning lottery ticket in their hand that the odds against them winning are so high that it couldn't happen.  Once a thing happens, the odds against it happening, no matter how improbable, are no longer relevant.   However short you think that timeframe is for Oswald to get to the scene, the evidence confirms he was there.  Multiple witnesses, the pistol, the ammo link Oswald to the crime.  There is no doubt Oswald was there even if you falsely believe he had to strap a jet engine to back to arrive in time.  Endless pedantic nitpicking and subjective bias in a desperate attempt to create doubt doesn't change the evidence of Oswald's guilt.