Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The Walker Case  (Read 22601 times)

Online Charles Collins

The Walker Case
« on: June 28, 2023, 02:57:18 PM »
Advertisement
James Hosty has some interesting things to say about the attempted assassination of General Walker. In his book “Assignment Oswald” beginning on page 146 here is a snip:

The police had had no clue on a suspect in the Walker case. During their investigation, the Dallas police knew I had been investi-gating Walker for inciting a riot in Oxford in protests over the desegregation of the University of Mississippi. The police asked me if I had any ideas on possible suspects. I had an informant who was a member of Walker’s Minutemen who told me that the Minutemen were upset with Walker for going to Oxford in the first place. Through Walker’s blunders there, he had caused himself and one of his aides to be arrested. When arrested, the aide had in his possession confidential documents revealing the strength of the Minutemen. My informant told me that because of all this, there was now talk among the Minutemen of replacing Walker as their leader. After I relayed all this information to the police, the police concentrated on Walker’s own followers as suspects.
Following Marina’s revelation, the FBI lab compared the bullet recovered from General Walker’s wall to Oswald’s rifle. Even though the bullet had been partly mutilated when it was removed from the wall, and even though rifles typically change ever so slightly over time, the lab was able to find five identifying matches between Oswald’s rifle and the bullet. Because the FBI lab required seven matches before they could label it a conclusive match, it was only labeled “tentative.” The Warren Commission had a second forensic lab, that of the New York State Police, check the bullet. While the FBI tended to be overly conservative in such matters, the New York State Police experts required only five matches for a positive and conclusive identification.
Finally, one of Oswald’s acquaintances, George DeMorenschild, reported to us that a short time before the Walker shooting, he and Oswald had been discussing politics when Walker’s name came up. DeMorenschild mentioned that Walker, who was fervently anti-Castro, was just another Hitler. He told Oswald that Walker was a menace to society and that maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea if someone took a shot at him. DeMorenschild told us he had said this in the heat of passion — he hadn’t been serious about that comment. But he might have inadvertently put the idea in Oswald’s head.
The evidence was almost certainly enough to convict Oswald of taking a potshot at Walker. Oswald also would have had the motive, for Walker had called for the overthrow of Oswald’s hero, Fidel Castro. The most remarkable thing was Oswald’s modus operandi. In shooting at Walker, Oswald had chosen a highly visible political target, had left money behind with Marina before his crime, had used the same high-powered rifle with scope, had shot from a sniper’s position, had stashed the rifle near his sniper’s nest, had fled on foot, then caught a public bus. And he had acted alone. This was, of course, star-tlingly similar to the behavior of Kennedy’s presumed assassin.

JFK Assassination Forum

The Walker Case
« on: June 28, 2023, 02:57:18 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

Re: The Walker Case
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 07:38:54 PM »
Hosty can’t be serious. A “tentative” match by New York standards to a mutilated bullet with no chain of custody that was described in contemporary reports as a steel-jacketed .30 caliber bullet and that Walker himself said was not the same bullet. That and a guy who said he told Oswald that Walker was a menace. That’s enough to convict somebody? Really?

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 07:38:56 AM »
Hosty can’t be serious. A “tentative” match by New York standards to a mutilated bullet with no chain of custody that was described in contemporary reports as a steel-jacketed .30 caliber bullet and that Walker himself said was not the same bullet. That and a guy who said he told Oswald that Walker was a menace. That’s enough to convict somebody? Really?

Mr. BELIN. I will ask you this. Have you ever seen Commission Exhibit 573 before, if you know?
Mr. DAY. Yes, sir; I have.
Mr. BELIN. Could you tell us what 573 is?
Mr. DAY. This slug was gotten from the home of former General Edwin Walker, 4011 Turtle Creek, April 10, 1963, by Detective B. G. Brown, one of the officers under my supervision. He brought this in and released it to me.
Mr. BELIN. You are reading now from a report that is in your possession, is that correct?
Mr. DAY. Yes, sir. Those are the official records of my office.
Mr. BELIN. Was that prepared under your supervision?
Mr. DAY. Yes, sir.
Mr. BELIN. In the regular course of your duties at the Dallas Police Department?
Mr. DAY. Yes, sir. The slug has my name “DAY” scratched in it

Eisenberg: Is this a jacketed bullet?
Frazier: Yes, it is a copper-alloy jacketed bullet having a lead core.
Eisenberg: Can you think of any reason why someone might have called this a steel-jacketed bullet?
Frazier: No sir; except that some individuals commonly refer to rifle bullets as steel-jacketed bullets, when they actually in fact just have a copper-alloy jacket

Walker himself said was not the same bullet.

Where and when did Walker see the bullet?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found in Oswald's possessions, a photo of Walkers house. Also accompanying is written instructions for Marina

Found in Oswald's possessions, a map with Walkers house location marked with a cross

Found in Oswald's possessions, a photo of a laneway next to Walkers house, taken just before the assassination attempt and the time frame of when the photo was taken was determined by partially finished construction.

JohnM
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 08:01:29 AM by John Mytton »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 07:38:56 AM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 01:55:40 PM »
Mr. BELIN. I will ask you this. Have you ever seen Commission Exhibit 573 before, if you know?
Mr. DAY. Yes, sir; I have.
Mr. BELIN. Could you tell us what 573 is?
Mr. DAY. This slug was gotten from the home of former General Edwin Walker, 4011 Turtle Creek, April 10, 1963, by Detective B. G. Brown, one of the officers under my supervision. He brought this in and released it to me.
Mr. BELIN. You are reading now from a report that is in your possession, is that correct?
Mr. DAY. Yes, sir. Those are the official records of my office.
Mr. BELIN. Was that prepared under your supervision?
Mr. DAY. Yes, sir.
Mr. BELIN. In the regular course of your duties at the Dallas Police Department?
Mr. DAY. Yes, sir. The slug has my name “DAY” scratched in it

Eisenberg: Is this a jacketed bullet?
Frazier: Yes, it is a copper-alloy jacketed bullet having a lead core.
Eisenberg: Can you think of any reason why someone might have called this a steel-jacketed bullet?
Frazier: No sir; except that some individuals commonly refer to rifle bullets as steel-jacketed bullets, when they actually in fact just have a copper-alloy jacket

Where and when did Walker see the bullet?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found in Oswald's possessions, a photo of Walkers house. Also accompanying is written instructions for Marina

Found in Oswald's possessions, a map with Walkers house location marked with a cross

Found in Oswald's possessions, a photo of a laneway next to Walkers house, taken just before the assassination attempt and the time frame of when the photo was taken was determined by partially finished construction.

JohnM

Carl Day identifies it as copper jacketed. And it sure looks like copper jacketing to me:

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 06:04:16 PM »
Frazier: No sir; except that some individuals commonly refer to rifle bullets as steel-jacketed bullets, when they actually in fact just have a copper-alloy jacket[/b]

LOL. Name these “individuals”. This is already on the “lame LN excuses” list.

An unsigned, undated note in Russian that doesn’t mention Walker or shooting. Cool evidence, bro. Still trying to figure out how you determined which “possessions” were Oswald’s.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 06:04:16 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 06:06:52 PM »
Carl Day identifies it as copper jacketed. And it sure looks like copper jacketing to me:

CE573 does indeed look copper-jacketed. Is there any good reason to believe that CE573 is the “steel-jacketed .30 caliber bullet” that was retrieved from the Walker home in April, 1963?

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 06:09:25 PM »
CE573 does indeed look copper-jacketed. Is there any good reason to believe that CE573 is the “steel-jacketed .30 caliber bullet” that was retrieved from the Walker home in April, 1963?

Carl Day’s testimony.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 06:09:25 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 07:29:28 PM »
Carl Day’s testimony.

How would Carl Day know where CE573 came from?