Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The Nest  (Read 5629 times)

Online Charles Collins

The Nest
« on: April 07, 2023, 12:25:49 PM »
Advertisement
How many of us would pay to be able to sit in the sniper's nest in the TSBD in Dealey Plaza? Count me in. Until recently, I have only had a virtual sniper's nest to experiment with. And it has shown me quite a few things. However, the virtual sniper's nest has it's limitations. To be able to experience actually sitting in a model of the sniper's nest is the next best thing (to the real experience) that I can reasonably expect to be able to do. So, I built four boxes and a "window" to full size specifications. The boxes are even weighted with sand bags inside to simulate the actual weights. And now, I can at least get a better feel for what it might have been like for the assassin. This model is still a work-in-progress. So suggestions are welcome. Here's a couple of photos of what I have accomplished so far:

The three paper targets visible on the right side are meant to represent the location of JFK at approximately Z161, Z225, and Z313. I used the appropriate vertical angles as measured by the WC and FBI and horizontal angles as I measured off of Don Roberdeau's map. Out of curiosity, I overlaid a couple of photos that show the view out of the actual sniper's nest window in December of 1963. These images depict the approximate Z313 position and the limo appears to be stopped at approximately the Z214 position. The paper targets that I had positioned using the appropriate angles and a laser level and tripod appear to line up reasonably well with the positions in the images from 1963. The two paper targets on the left are meant to represent the positions of Howard Brenan, and Fischer & Edwards. And there is a sixth paper target which represents Z133 which is hidden from view by the corner of the box on the window sill. More to come...

JFK Assassination Forum

The Nest
« on: April 07, 2023, 12:25:49 PM »

Online Charles Collins

Re: The Nest
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 02:21:35 PM »
One of the items that motivated me to create this model is the possibility of interference with an early shot by the electrical conduit that is closest to the window. I obtained a metal fence post that is approximately the same diameter as the conduit. And I positioned it at approximately the same location. Here is another photo of the model that shows the “conduit” in place:

Also, in this photo, a small portion of the paper target that represents the location of JFK at approximately Z133 can be seen just to the left of the corner of box B (which is on the window sill).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 03:17:12 PM by Charles Collins »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 03:44:15 PM »
Here are a couple more photos showing the arraignment of the nest:

Next, I want to show how a human interfaces with the nest. And I think that basic shooting positions is a good place to start. More to follow.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 03:44:15 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 03:57:59 PM »
In this image, notice the support for both arms by the knees. In that crossed-leg sitting position, the knees are relatively stable and provide stable supports. Also notice that the aim of the rifle is off to the left of the shooter (not directly in front of him). That angle is typical of proper shooting positions and is critical to getting the eye in the proper position relative to the scope.

Here is a link to the article that shows that image and other various shooting positions.

https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/basic-shooting-positions-every-hunter-should-master/272545

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 04:11:57 PM »
Very interesting project Charles! It’s a wonderment to me that no TV documentary, to my knowledge, has gone to this degree of simulation. I’m curious if you find the conduit acts to support or decrease the shooter’s aiming stability. I think the conduit was favorable to the sniper and maybe part of his plan. Maybe at some time you could place a camera at various locations near that of a few photographers such as Powell, Dillard, or even Brennan to show the change of perspective of the window box.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 04:11:57 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 04:22:51 PM »
Very interesting project Charles! It’s a wonderment to me that no TV documentary, to my knowledge, has gone to this degree of simulation. I’m curious if you find the conduit acts to support or decrease the shooter’s aiming stability. I think the conduit was favorable to the sniper and maybe part of his plan. Maybe at some time you could place a camera at various locations near that of a few photographers such as Powell, Dillard, or even Brennan to show the change of perspective of the window box.

Thanks James! I agree that it is a wonderment that no one has apparently investigated and shown the human interface with the elements in the sniper’s nest. I do plan to show how I think the conduit affects things. And I also plan to show some different views from the locations you suggested. Thanks for the input. And please feel free to criticize if you see something that you think needs correction or improvement.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 08:23:37 PM »
I am no expert on how to use firearms. I did have a rifle and a shotgun when I was growing up. But never had any instruction on how to properly shoot them (except just one single day on a shooting range with an M-16 while in basic training in the USAF). So, this is a learning experience for me. I know that the USMC requires a lot of intense rifle training. I would think that improvisation in shooting positions might be a part of that training. And it appears to me that the sniper’s nest is some good improvisation. Here’s an interesting photo of a serious sniper in Vietnam:

Two items that stand out for me are: improvised steady support for the rifle using nothing except his body, and the angle that he is shooting at. His torso is facing to the camera left while the rifle is aimed at camera right.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 08:23:37 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 09:30:37 PM »
This article is about how to use a bench rest support. While the sniper’s nest didn’t have a bench rest support, the boxes apparently served as the bench. And practically every bench rest shooting event that I have seen has the shooters seated in chairs or some sort of seat. Anyway, it is all about having the best stable support possible. And I believe that is what the sniper’s nest boxes are all about.

https://shoot-on.com/bench-rest-shooting-fundamentals/