Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: US National Archives: (some) Files to be released today  (Read 6316 times)

Online Robert Reeves

US National Archives: (some) Files to be released today
« on: December 15, 2021, 05:46:50 PM »
Advertisement

JFK Assassination Forum

US National Archives: (some) Files to be released today
« on: December 15, 2021, 05:46:50 PM »

Offline Jon Banks

Re: US National Archives: (some) Files to be released today
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 07:13:18 PM »
Good to hear. I'm glad to see that the files are being digitized.

Online Robert Reeves

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 11:59:38 PM »
Anyone know --- Was this ever resolved? Ruby visited Cuba in late 1962 or 1963?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 11:59:38 PM »

Online Gerry Down

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 12:16:27 AM »
These files are really helpful. Now I know who killed Kennedy. Oswald.

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 12:50:45 AM »
These files are really helpful. Now I know who killed Kennedy. Oswald.

Good one.  My understanding is that most of these have been released before with minor redactions.  CTers cling to the unreleased documents mantra like a drowning man to a straw.  The answer is out there!

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 12:50:45 AM »

Offline Ted Shields

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 10:59:53 AM »
Anyone know --- Was this ever resolved? Ruby visited Cuba in late 1962 or 1963?

Never resolved no. He went in 58 or 59 but nothing to prove he went again.

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 02:05:47 PM »
Politico: What’s Missing From the New JFK Document Release
In October, President Joe Biden announced he was restarting the process of declassifying and releasing the documents under provisions of a 1992 law, the Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act. He scheduled this week’s release and another for next December — declaring the disclosures “critical to ensure that the United States Government maximizes transparency.”

But the announcement also contained an admission that should worry anyone who truly believes in transparency. Biden is the first president to come close to acknowledging what cynical conspiracy theorists have long assumed: There are assassination-related documents sealed away at the Archives that might never be made public, or at least not in the lifetime of anyone who remembers where they were when they heard the shocking news from Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963.

As the author of a 2013 history of the Warren Commission, the panel created by President Lyndon B. Johnson to investigate Kennedy’s murder, I am among the researchers who have long called for all the JFK documents to be made public — and not just for the sake of transparency. So long as the government continues to keep some documents hidden, it will only further promote the idea that sinister conspiracies about Kennedy’s death have a basis in fact. Why else, the conspiracy theorists ask, would the government feel the need to hide from the American public important information about a turning point in U.S. history? As time goes on, this secrecy could fuel even more outrageous, and more dangerous, movements: Today, QAnon, which the FBI has deemed a domestic terrorism threat, has embraced JFK conspiracy theories.
Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.), who has campaigned on Capitol Hill for years for full release of the JFK documents, said in an interview that he was disappointed by Biden’s failure to release the entire library early in his presidency. “All of this information was supposed to have been shared with the public years ago,” Cohen said. “It belongs to the public.” He said he feared Biden had bowed to powerful bureaucrats at the CIA, FBI and elsewhere who are trying to keep the documents secret in order to protect the reputation of their agencies, even if that keeps the conspiracy theories alive. “I’m a big supporter of President Biden and think well of him,” Cohen added. “But he’s a company man on these sorts of things.”

The White House told me Biden is willing to overrule the CIA, FBI and other agencies and insist that some of the secret documents be made public. But for now, the administration said, the president believes there is legitimate concern that some documents reveal information that could do damage to national security if revealed, noting that that some of the still-classified documents in the JFK library refer to law-enforcement operations that occurred decades after the Kennedy assassination.

Cohen is not a conspiracy theorist. He said he suspects the still-secret documents will not undermine his belief that Oswald was the sole gunman in Dallas. Instead, Cohen said, he assumes the documents have been kept secret because they expose incompetence or wrongdoing by the CIA, FBI and other agencies. Among the millions of pages of documents declassified in the 1990s, some files showed that the CIA and FBI had Oswald under aggressive surveillance before the assassination and missed opportunities to stop him.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/12/15/jfk-kennedy-assassination-documents-524221

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 02:05:47 PM »

Online W. Tracy Parnell

• W. Tracy Parnell Debunking JFK Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 04:45:36 PM »
Good one.  My understanding is that most of these have been released before with minor redactions.  CTers cling to the unreleased documents mantra like a drowning man to a straw.  The answer is out there!

You are correct. I wasted about four hours looking at files yesterday. Major bust for the CTs as it had to be.