Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Michael Paine and the backyard photo  (Read 3200 times)

Online Gerry Down

Michael Paine and the backyard photo
« on: May 06, 2021, 03:37:20 AM »
Advertisement
According to this article: https://eu.swtimes.com/story/news/2020/09/20/paine-interview-raises-more-jfk-assassination-questions-part-ii/42668757/ Michael Paine said during the 1993 PBS documentary that he knew that Oswald had a rifle, a handgun and knew of the backyard photo all BEFORE the assassination.

I never knew Oswald and Michael Paine were so close. Would Oswald have shown Paine the backyard photo? Or is this a case of time playing tricks on Paines mind and him confusing seeing the backyard photo AFTER the assassination with thinking that he saw it BEFORE the assassination?

JFK Assassination Forum

Michael Paine and the backyard photo
« on: May 06, 2021, 03:37:20 AM »

Online Steve M. Galbraith

Re: Michael Paine and the backyard photo
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 04:29:11 PM »
According to this article: https://eu.swtimes.com/story/news/2020/09/20/paine-interview-raises-more-jfk-assassination-questions-part-ii/42668757/ Michael Paine said during the 1993 PBS documentary that he knew that Oswald had a rifle, a handgun and knew of the backyard photo all BEFORE the assassination.

I never knew Oswald and Michael Paine were so close. Would Oswald have shown Paine the backyard photo? Or is this a case of time playing tricks on Paines mind and him confusing seeing the backyard photo AFTER the assassination with thinking that he saw it BEFORE the assassination?
I assume they were referring to the 1993 PBS Frontline documentary "Who was Lee Harvey Oswald?" Nowhere in the version I saw does Michael Paine mention anything about knowing Oswald had those weapons or that he saw a backyard photo.

There was an updated edition that cut out some of the first one which was about two hours long. So maybe there was a different version that includes the above and I missed it.

Michael Paine gives probably the best insight into Oswald's mind or thinking in that last month before the assassination. He says they discussed politics and that he took Oswald to an ACLU meeting where Oswald got up and warned about the dangers from the Bircher right particularly its anti-semitism. He said Oswald believed the ACLU wasn't political enough in advocating greater change and that only large scale change of the entire US system would work. No gradual changes were possible.

The original PBS show 2013 version can be seen here: https://www.pbs.org/video/frontline-who-was-lee-harvey-oswald/

And a transcript which you can quickly search is here: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/oswald/transcript/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:02:10 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

Online Gerry Down

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 04:56:57 PM »
I assume they were referring to the 1993 PBS Frontline documentary "Who was Lee Harvey Oswald?" Nowhere in the version I saw does Michael Paine mention anything about knowing Oswald had those weapons or that he saw a backyard photo.

There was an updated edition that cut out some of the first one which was about two hours long. So maybe there was a different version that includes the above and I missed it.

Michael Paine gives probably the best insight into Oswald's mind or thinking in that last month before the assassination. He says they discussed politics and that he took Oswald to an ACLU meeting where Oswald got up and warned about the dangers from the Bircher right particularly its anti-semitism. He said Oswald believed the ACLU wasn't political enough in advocating greater change and that only large scale change of the entire US system.

The original PBS show 2013 version can be seen here: https://www.pbs.org/video/frontline-who-was-lee-harvey-oswald/

And a transcript which you can quickly search is here: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/oswald/transcript/

That would explain it. You'd think if Michael Paine had seen the backyard photo before the assassination he would have said so at his WC testimony. I have never seen any evidence that he was a liar.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 04:56:57 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 06:49:33 PM »
That would explain it. You'd think if Michael Paine had seen the backyard photo before the assassination he would have said so at his WC testimony. I have never seen any evidence that he was a liar.

But he did say that in a CBS interview, if I recall correctly.

And it was Michael Paine who told an FBI agent showing a BY photo on the evening after the assassination where it was taken.
Captain Fritz mentions in his report about his interrogation of Oswald that he showed him the photo and he (Oswald) dismissed it as a fake. Fritz notes that at that time he had already leaned about the location of the photo from Michael Paine.

Kinda weird, right? The photos were not officially found until the second search of Ruth Paine's on Saturday afternoon.

Online Jon Banks

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 07:53:18 PM »

Michael Paine gives probably the best insight into Oswald's mind or thinking in that last month before the assassination. He says they discussed politics and that he took Oswald to an ACLU meeting where Oswald got up and warned about the dangers from the Bircher right particularly its anti-semitism. He said Oswald believed the ACLU wasn't political enough in advocating greater change and that only large scale change of the entire US system would work. No gradual changes were possible.

LHO was "New Left" before it became cool to be part of the New Left.

He was right about the fascism of the Birchers and Gen. Edwin Walker.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 07:53:18 PM »

Offline Robert Doane

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 12:06:58 AM »
Michael Paine wrote about the photo in his  manuscript, My Experience with Lee Harvey Oswald. Paine described how Oswald showed him the backyard photo on his first meeting with Lee when Michael and Ruth went to pick the Oswalds up.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 12:19:37 AM »
Michael Paine wrote about the photo in his  manuscript, My Experience with Lee Harvey Oswald. Paine described how Oswald showed him the backyard photo on his first meeting with Lee when Michael and Ruth went to pick the Oswalds up.

There you go.... I wasn't aware of the manuscript, but that settles it. Paine either lied under oath when he said he did not know about the rifle or the rifle only came into play after Oswald was dead.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 12:19:37 AM »

Online Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 02:40:40 AM »
Thanks. I've also read that Paine reportedly told the author Gus Russo that Oswald showed him the photo but Russo doesn't include that story in either of his books on the assassination. It seems to me that he would have included that unless Paine told him after the publication of the books.

But Paine didn't say anything about being shown the guns, right? Just the backyard photo.