Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Did Captain Fritz show Mr Oswald a Mauser?  (Read 47017 times)

Offline Walt Cakebread

Re: Did Captain Fritz show Mr Oswald a Mauser?
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2021, 11:38:10 PM »
Advertisement
This whole thing could've been resolved decades ago.
Just start with any photo of Oswald taking the shot.
 ;)

Really??   Walk me through that scenario... 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2021, 11:38:10 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2021, 12:35:45 AM »
If there's not a photo then it didn't happen?

Didn't you claim that all three of the deputies said that the rifle they saw was a 7.65 Mauser?   Where were all three together, and saw a Mauser?

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2021, 12:36:27 AM »
While I don't know the exact number of photos that that show the rifle to be a model 91/38 Mannlicher Carcano, I'd guess there are at least two dozen.....But there isn't a single photo that shows a 7.65 Mauser at the TSBD that afternoon.

The rifle?  Why would you assume there was exactly one?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2021, 12:36:27 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2021, 12:45:07 AM »
The rifle?  Why would you assume there was exactly one?

I base that on the scribbled notes ( which indicate the interrogation occurred at 3:15 ) I know that it's SOP to display the weapon to the suspect and observe the suspects reaction to being faced with the weapon.  And  one of the first things Fritz asked Lee ( after the preliminaries was Have you ever seen this rifle?    And Hosty jotted down Lee's reply.... " I saw this rifle the day before yesterday. Mr Truly and another guy, had it outside of Mr Truly's office on the first floor. 

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2021, 12:47:32 AM »
Well, that would be Walt Fabrication #3, wouldn't it?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2021, 12:47:32 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2021, 12:55:08 AM »
Well, that would be Walt Fabrication #3, wouldn't it?

I'm sorry that you lack the ability to read Hosty's scribbled notes ( and the typed report that the Ford posted) and your inability to put the pieces in place that allow any average 12 year old to see what was being written. 

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2021, 05:24:12 AM »
Arnold Rowland is quite specific about the rifle he sees being held by a man on the sixth floor at around 12:15. It's a type of rifle he seems familiar with having used one before:

"In proportion to the scope it appeared to me to be a .30-odd size 6, a deer rifle with a fairly large or powerful scope."

Is he describing a Carcano or something more like a sporterized Mauser?

IIRC, he described it as being "a deer rifle," which could imply a sporterized rifle, assuming that the rifle wasn't an actual hunting rifle rather than a conversion. Then again, he was about 300 feet from it. How well could he see it to describe it.

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about his statements. He places the guy holding the gun 15 feet inside the window. However,  if you look at photos of the TSBD exterior, you can see the boxes stacked up in the southeast corner the sixth floor windows. Those are not more than two feet from the wall. On the west side of the sixth floor, there are man-high stacks of boxes, but all you see in the photos is darkness behind the windows. Those stacks are several feet inside the building, too far in to be lit by the high afternoon sun. Someone standing 15 feet inside the windows isn't exactly what I'd expect to see in that situation, especially at 100 yards.

And Rowland's background, as described in his and his wife's WC testimony doesn't exactly lend the ring of truth to the story.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2021, 05:24:12 AM »

Offline Ray Mitcham

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2021, 10:28:30 AM »
IIRC, he described it as being "a deer rifle," which could imply a sporterized rifle, assuming that the rifle wasn't an actual hunting rifle rather than a conversion. Then again, he was about 300 feet from it. How well could he see it to describe it.

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about his statements. He places the guy holding the gun 15 feet inside the window. However,  if you look at photos of the TSBD exterior, you can see the boxes stacked up in the southeast corner the sixth floor windows. Those are not more than two feet from the wall. On the west side of the sixth floor, there are man-high stacks of boxes, but all you see in the photos is darkness behind the windows. Those stacks are several feet inside the building, too far in to be lit by the high afternoon sun. Someone standing 15 feet inside the windows isn't exactly what I'd expect to see in that situation, especially at 100 yards.

And Rowland's background, as described in his and his wife's WC testimony doesn't exactly lend the ring of truth to the story.
Trouble with that is that Arnold said he was talking about the window at the South West of the building not the South East. So the info about the boxes is irrelevant.