Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The First Shot  (Read 122083 times)

Offline Jerry Organ

Re: The First Shot
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2020, 03:33:25 AM »
Advertisement
In his testimony, Altgens was only sure of two shots, but guessed there could have been a third shot that fitted in between the shot he heard before he took the photo at Z255 and the head shot. Mason places his LN second shot (it narrowly misses Kennedy, going on to strike Connally) about Z271.

In 1985, "Ike" Altgens told Richard B. trask:

"My first instinct was ‘well, they’re shooting firecrackers up there,’
     or some kind of celebration on behalf of the President. And then
     I hear it again as the car comes on down."

So here Altgens claims he heard "firecrackers up there" (or "some kind of celebration", presumably referring to the sound of a shot -- though Altgens didn't know at that moment it was gunfire -- when the car was on upper Elm), then heard it again as the "car comes on down" which I believe would be when he took his picture.

Therefore there could have been two shots fired before Altgens took his photograph at Z255.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2020, 03:33:25 AM »

Offline John Tonkovich

« Reply #153 on: November 03, 2020, 04:33:24 AM »
In his testimony, Altgens was only sure of two shots, but guessed there could have been a third shot that fitted in between the shot he heard before he took the photo at Z255 and the head shot. Mason places his LN second shot (it narrowly misses Kennedy, going on to strike Connally) about Z271.

In 1985, "Ike" Altgens told Richard B. trask:

"My first instinct was ‘well, they’re shooting firecrackers up there,’
     or some kind of celebration on behalf of the President. And then
     I hear it again as the car comes on down."

So here Altgens claims he heard "firecrackers up there" (or "some kind of celebration", presumably referring to the sound of a shot -- though Altgens didn't know at that moment it was gunfire -- when the car was on upper Elm), then heard it again as the "car comes on down" which I believe would be when he took his picture.

Therefore there could have been two shots fired before Altgens took his photograph at Z255.
Who is this "Mason " you mention?
Also, there could have been 129 shots fired, with s suppressor, before Z255.
Thankfully, the SS and FBI helped us out by commissioning two separate surveys, which placed only three shots (and hits) including a final shot at 4 + 95.
The West surveys, presented by the late Thomas Purvis, are a great read.

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »
Who is this "Mason " you mention?

This really shows how much you read through the thread before posting  ::)

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2020, 11:54:02 AM »
Betzner said the shot he heard after taking his picture was followed by the head shot. Here's my earlier reply:

As Betzner goes out of the Zapruder film in frame 207, he
     continues to lower his camera and is not looking down.
     So Betzner winding his camera as he hears a shot isn't
     proof of your first shot at ca.Z200.

Assuming he winds his camera shortly thereafter (post-Z207),
     it might be that the shot he heard while winding the camera
     was the proposed shot in the early-Z220s.

Betzner's WC testimony:

"I took another picture as the President's car was going down the hill on Elm Street. I started to wind my film again and I heard a loud noise. I thought that this noise was either a firecracker or a car had backfired. I looked up and it seemed like there was another loud noise in the matter of a few seconds. I looked down the street and I could see the President's car and another one and they looked like the cars were stopped. Then I saw a flash of pink like someone standing up and then sitting back down in the car."

Here he is describing taking Betzner#3 (as the President's car was going down the hill) roughly equivalent to z186. After taking this picture he states that he had "started to wind my film again and I heard a loud noise". This 'loud noise' is presumably the first audible shot but there is no clear measure of the time between the taking of Betzner#3 and the first shot. The only reason to bring Betzner into things is to demonstrate that there wasn't a first shot before z186. His testimony provides a very rough 'timestamp' as to when the first shot occurred. Nothing more.

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2020, 03:38:41 PM »
Betzner's WC testimony:

"I took another picture as the President's car was going down the hill on Elm Street. I started to wind my film again and I heard a loud noise. I thought that this noise was either a firecracker or a car had backfired. I looked up and it seemed like there was another loud noise in the matter of a few seconds. I looked down the street and I could see the President's car and another one and they looked like the cars were stopped. Then I saw a flash of pink like someone standing up and then sitting back down in the car."

Here he is describing taking Betzner#3 (as the President's car was going down the hill) roughly equivalent to z186. After taking this picture he states that he had "started to wind my film again and I heard a loud noise". This 'loud noise' is presumably the first audible shot but there is no clear measure of the time between the taking of Betzner#3 and the first shot. The only reason to bring Betzner into things is to demonstrate that there wasn't a first shot before z186. His testimony provides a very rough 'timestamp' as to when the first shot occurred. Nothing more.

Betzner said he could recall there being two shots ("I heard at least two shots fired") though he appeared to suggest there could have been more. If he heard a third shot (that didn't cause him any concern or appear to strike anyone in the car), it could just as well be before he snapped his picture.

As I see it, the Connallys, Mrs. Kennedy and John Ready said the first shot caused them to turn their heads rightward (this occurs in the Z160s and Z170s). Phil Willis said the first shot caused Mrs. Kennedy to turn her head from his side of the street to the opposite. In his Z202 slide, she has already done this, meaning the shot occurred some time before Willis took his picture.

Yes, other witnesses said they turned their heads instantaneously (and the film shows otherwise); who knows why they knowingly or unknowingly later reconstructed what they thought they did. I believe they honestly thought they did react instantaneously though I think they might have just been processing in their mind the danger.

There is a "buffet" of evidence in the JFK assassination that allows people with various theories to pick and isolate witness statements and impressions that support their case. Some of the theories are quite impressive; the Mason Theory presented an ingenious pathway.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2020, 03:38:41 PM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2020, 03:57:31 PM »
There is a "buffet" of evidence in the JFK assassination that allows people with various theories to pick and isolate witness statements and impressions that support their case. Some of the theories are quite impressive; the Mason Theory presented an ingenious pathway.

;D
I think that's really well put, a "buffet" of evidence.

What's striking is that it seems possible to pick several differing 'narratives' and have a range of supporting evidence for each.

The lack of any reaction from Landis, Hickey and Ready I don't think is so easily brushed away. Ready says he immediately turned to his "right rear". We don't see this in Zapruder but we do see this in Altgens6. Ready is obviously recalling the moment accurately as we see it confirmed in Altgens6 and I find it difficult to accept that these specially trained SS agents would take two to three seconds to react to an "explosive noise".
But, as you say, there's more to the case than this point. That's just the particular part of the "buffet" I am selecting from.

Online Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2020, 04:16:04 PM »
To return to Rosemary Willis: She (for me) is clearly reacting, as shown below, much earlier than Z200 to "something" (assuming the clip below is synchronized with the frames correctly). She completely stops at around Z190 but is looking away from the limo while jogging after roughly Z160. In several interviews she said she was reacting to the sound of a gun shot (she never testified to the WC).

One "problem" is that everyone around her appears not to be reacting at all. It's amazing really. Something got her attention (it couldn't have been her father calling her; he's still taking a photo) but no one else?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 05:28:20 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2020, 04:16:04 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2020, 05:44:59 PM »
;D
I think that's really well put, a "buffet" of evidence.

What's striking is that it seems possible to pick several differing 'narratives' and have a range of supporting evidence for each.

The lack of any reaction from Landis, Hickey and Ready I don't think is so easily brushed away. Ready says he immediately turned to his "right rear". We don't see this in Zapruder but we do see this in Altgens6. Ready is obviously recalling the moment accurately as we see it confirmed in Altgens6 and I find it difficult to accept that these specially trained SS agents would take two to three seconds to react to an "explosive noise".
But, as you say, there's more to the case than this point. That's just the particular part of the "buffet" I am selecting from.

I'd go with 'smorgasbord' over 'buffet'. Just seems more vivid, far-reaching, somehow. Well, at least somewhat more stylish. And what's wrong with a little flair, eh wot?

But I guess it depends on which side one's bread is buttered..

;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 05:52:43 PM by Bill Chapman »