Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswald's sack in the Sniper's nest.  (Read 76176 times)

Offline John Iacoletti

Re: Oswald's sack in the Sniper's nest.
« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2020, 06:37:09 PM »
Advertisement

His statement was prefaced with:

"It's about Oswald's frame of mind."

That implies that the following statement is what he thinks Oswald's frame of mind was.

But what followed the preface was not a statement of fact, but rather a question.

Consider the following analogy:

"Bernie Sanders' state of mind is that he does not think he can beat Trump"

vs.

"It's all about Bernie Sanders' state of mind.  Does he think he can beat Trump?  I doubt it."

One is a statement of fact, and the other is a statement of opinion.  The second statement does not claim to know what Sanders' state of mind is.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2020, 06:37:09 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »

You wrote your post before I finished mine... Go back and read it again

Yours was written 22 minutes before mine. Go back and read it again yourself...

Look at the last edit time... only 6 minutes before you posted

And btw... when I say "I seriously doubt it" it means that I seriously doubt it. It doesn't mean that I claim to know anything with certainty. I just have doubts about it. So, stop reading something that isn't there!

I never implied that you knew anything with certainty. Stop reading something that isn't there yourself. Just acknowledge that you started the conversation in this direction as I indicated before. And that you are being hypocritical when you tell us what you doubt about Oswald's frame of mind, then turn right around and tell Walt that any attempt to crawl inside Oswald's mind is futile.

It has become obvious that any attempt to have a reasonable conversation with you is futile...

So for you having doubts about somebody's alleged frame of mind (as claimed by others) is the same as crawling into somebody's mind?

With that kind of superficial "logic" it is indeed impossible to have a reasonable conversation!

Besides, what you call a "reasonable conversation" means that you will twist and turn in every which way possible to push your predetermind opinion, just like you did with the whole "rifle wrapped in a blanket and concealed in a duffelbag with a part sticking out" theory, which you later tried to pass of a Ruth Paine's conjecture, when it was clearly your own. Once you've got your mind made up, it seems to become fact to you and nothing anybody can say will convince you otherwise.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2020, 07:13:56 PM »

His statement was prefaced with:

"It's about Oswald's frame of mind."

That implies that the following statement is what he thinks Oswald's frame of mind was. It appears to be based on what he would have done (or not done), not on the actual actions of LHO. At least what I opined was based on reality (LHO's actions).

That implies that the following statement is what he thinks Oswald's frame of mind was.

No it doesn't. You made a claim about what Oswald would or could have done (i.e. take the rifle to New Orleans, wrapped in a blanket and place in a duffelbag, with a part sticking out) and I asked if you had taken Oswald's frame of mind (as in consiousness of guilt) into account. I never claimed or even implied to know what Oswald's frame of mind was, but it seems logical to me that people will act differently when they get paranoid after doing something bad.

At least what I opined was based on reality (LHO's actions).

Nope.. what you opined was based upon what you believed to be reality and even then it was based on one instance. That's a far cry from being actually based on LHO's actions.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2020, 07:13:56 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2020, 07:23:27 PM »
But what followed the preface was not a statement of fact, but rather a question.

vs.

"It's all about Bernie Sanders' state of mind.  Does he think he can beat Trump?  I doubt it."

One is a statement of fact, and the other is a statement of opinion.  The second statement does not claim to know what Sanders' state of mind is.

No, it was a question followed by an answer to the question. Together they form a statement. In Martin's case it is an opinion.

vs.

Yes, just what I said above, a statement of opinion. And I said to Martin earlier, I didn't say he claimed to know anything with certainty.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #212 on: March 05, 2020, 07:44:32 PM »
No, it was a question followed by an answer to the question.

"I doubt it" is not an answer.  Or a claim.

I guess you really don't get the difference then.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #212 on: March 05, 2020, 07:44:32 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #213 on: March 05, 2020, 07:49:18 PM »

No, it was a question followed by an answer to the question. Together they form a statement. In Martin's case it is an opinion.

Oh boy.... What does it take to get through to you?

Let's try again, shall we? Here's the quote you refer to;

You are missing the point. Sure, many people travel with firearms, but how many of those have just used that weapon to shoot somebody? It's about Oswald's frame of mind. Having just tried to kill a man with that rifle, would he risk transporting it in a duffelbag with the barrel sticking out? I seriously doubt it....

1. I made the comment that it was about Oswald's frame of mind, because you missed the point I had made.
2. I asked a question
3. I stated my opinion that I seriously doubted it.

My opinion is not an answer to the question, nor does it indicate that I know anything about Oswald's frame of mind. It's merely an expression of doubt.

The question and my opinion combined do not constitute a statement of any kind and it most certainly does not, as you claimed about one hour ago, imply that I somehow think I know what Oswald's frame of mind was.

I did not claim that Oswald would never have carried the rifle the way you described. I merely stated that I doubted it!

If you don't understand the difference, than I don't know what else there is I, or anybody else, can tell you to make you understand.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 07:51:21 PM by Martin Weidmann »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #214 on: March 05, 2020, 07:53:09 PM »

So for you having doubts about somebody's alleged frame of mind (as claimed by others) is the same as crawling into somebody's mind?

With that kind of superficial "logic" it is indeed impossible to have a reasonable conversation!

Besides, what you call a "reasonable conversation" means that you will twist and turn in every which way possible to push your predetermind opinion, just like you did with the whole "rifle wrapped in a blanket and concealed in a duffelbag with a part sticking out" theory, which you later tried to pass of a Ruth Paine's conjecture, when it was clearly your own. Once you've got your mind made up, it seems to become fact to you and nothing anybody can say will convince you otherwise.

No matter, it was still before, and what I was responding to.

You were the first to bring up LHO's frame of mind. I responded to your opinion. Therefore your stated "doubt" was about the scenario you included in your own question. And since you answered your own question, you did make a statement about what you thought LHO's frame of mind should have been.

The rifle in the duffel bag was Ruth Paine's conjecture. I expanded upon it with some conjecture of my own. I have already acknowledged this. What is your problem? No one said you have to agree with any of it.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #214 on: March 05, 2020, 07:53:09 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #215 on: March 05, 2020, 08:10:14 PM »

I guess you really don't get the difference then.

It is a statement of opinion (as a response to the question). Therefore it is an answer. Here is the definition for you: a thing said, written, or done to deal with or as a reaction to a question, statement, or situation.

Got it yet?!