Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswald's sack in the Sniper's nest.  (Read 76176 times)

Offline John Iacoletti

Re: Oswald's sack in the Sniper's nest.
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2020, 04:29:29 AM »
Advertisement
Were his prints found on it? We have the word of an FBI expert, and a police expert supposedly working from photos that were later published and didn't show much more than blobs. I have numerous books on fingerprinting, going back to the forties. These books show readily identifiable prints and matches. The matches presented in the WC's volumes, on the other hand, are little more than blobs. They show nothing. The government has had more than fifty years, moreover, to publish proper photos of the latents, alongside Oswald's prints, and has failed to do so. And the FBI has refused to releases its photos of the trigger guard. So, no, the fingerprint evidence is not a done deal, far from it. Every print connecting Oswald to the sniper's nest or rifle is suspect.

On top of that, the prints allegedly found on the bag were destroyed by the silver nitrate darkening over time, so there isn’t even any way to verify or repeat the analysis.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:30:08 AM by John Iacoletti »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2020, 04:29:29 AM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2020, 05:07:39 AM »
Now, this, of course, supports that Day hadn't actually seen the bag where he claims it was found, and that others were, in fact, responsible for its collection in the depository.
Is this your comment Pat? If so, please explain your logic in making the claim that Day hadn’t actually seen the bag. Thanks.

J C Day said as much in his testimony---
Mr. BELIN. I'm going to hand you what has been marked as Commission Exhibit 729 and ask you to state if you know what this is.
Mr. DAY. 729 is a photograph of the inside wall, south and east walls, right at the corner of the building at the sixth floor of the Texas Book Depository.
Mr. BELIN. I notice some pipes on the right portion of this picture as you face it, and I also notice a box. I will first ask you to state if this picture was taken before or after anything was removed from the area.
Mr. DAY. The sack had been removed.
Mr. BELIN. You mean between--you said the sack.
Mr. DAY. I mean the pipe. The sack was between the pipe and the wall at the top of the picture.
Mr. BELIN. That wall at the top of the picture would be the east wall, would it not?
Mr. DAY. Yes, sir; laying parallel to the south wall.
Mr. BELIN. Did the sack--was it folded over in any way or just lying flat, if you remember?
Mr. DAY. It was folded over with the fold next to the pipe, to the best of my knowledge.
"To the best of my knowledge" basically means he was told what to say ;)

Offline Pat Speer

« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2020, 06:22:05 AM »

Now, this, of course, supports that Day hadn't actually seen the bag where he claims it was found, and that others were, in fact, responsible for its collection in the depository.

Is this your comment Pat? If so, please explain your logic in making the claim that Day hadn’t actually seen the bag. Thanks.

When one studies the statements of those involved in the collection of the bag, it's clear Day wasn't there when it was "collected." Montgomery, Johnson, and Studebaker never once mentioned Day in connection with the finding and dusting of the bag. Johnson makes clear, moreover, that it was "found" after Studebaker had dusted the pop bottle--which he did after he'd photographed the rifle. Day makes clear, moreover, that once the rifle was found he worked on the rifle on the west end of the building and then took it to the crime lab. He didn't come back till 3 or so. The bag was removed from the building at 3. Now, granted, this leaves a small window whereby Day could have been shown the bag when he returned, but the idea pushed in the WR that Day signed the bag upon its discovery in the sniper's nest is a flat-out lie.

And probably by design. Consider...

The FBI created a memo claiming Day found the bag and that the DPD had not shown it to anyone. Neither of these statements were true.
Montgomery and Johnson claimed Montgomery had found the bag, and Capt. Fritz's records on the assassination support their claim.
Lt. Day failed to even mention the discovery of the bag in his only report written on the crime scene.
Montgomery, Johnson and Studebaker all testified in Dallas, None of them mentioned Day in connection to the bag. And none of them were shown the bag during their testimony.
David Belin then flew Lt. Day to Washington, and put words into his mouth that suggested Day had found the bag.
Belin's chapter in the WR mentions Day and Day alone in connection to the bag.
When the FBI was asked to bring the evidence to Dallas and get those who'd discovered the evidence to confirm the evidence in possession of the FBI and WC was the original evidence,the bag was shown to Day and Day alone, even though the FBI's original evidence photo for the palm print showed Montgomery, Johnson and Studebaker's initials by the palm print, and not Day's.
When asked about the bag in his final Oral History, Day claimed the bag was picked up when he was gone. Well, let's recall that once he went to work on the rifle he did not return to the SN for 90 minutes or so, and that Montgomery and Johnson had taken the bag from the building near the end or at the end of that 90 minutes.

So this leaves the possibility Day saw the bag in the sniper's nest upon his first arrival, and that he thought he'd get back to it upon his return from the crime lab. But this fails the smell test, seeing as none of those arriving at the sniper's nest before Day's arrival had any recollection of a gun case/bag sitting on the floor of the sniper's nest, and no pictures were taken of it in the sniper's nest, and neither Montgomery nor Day (the two possible finders of the bag) could tell a consistent story regarding where the bag was "discovered."

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2020, 06:22:05 AM »

Offline Jack Nessan

« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »
When one studies the statements of those involved in the collection of the bag, it's clear Day wasn't there when it was "collected." Montgomery, Johnson, and Studebaker never once mentioned Day in connection with the finding and dusting of the bag. Johnson makes clear, moreover, that it was "found" after Studebaker had dusted the pop bottle--which he did after he'd photographed the rifle. Day makes clear, moreover, that once the rifle was found he worked on the rifle on the west end of the building and then took it to the crime lab. He didn't come back till 3 or so. The bag was removed from the building at 3. Now, granted, this leaves a small window whereby Day could have been shown the bag when he returned, but the idea pushed in the WR that Day signed the bag upon its discovery in the sniper's nest is a flat-out lie.

The FBI created a memo claiming Day found the bag and that the DPD had not shown it to anyone. Neither of these statements were true.
Montgomery and Johnson claimed Montgomery had found the bag, and Capt. Fritz's records on the assassination support their claim.
Lt. Day failed to even mention the discovery of the bag in his only report written on the crime scene.
Montgomery, Johnson and Studebaker all testified in Dallas, None of them mentioned Day in connection to the bag. And none of them were shown the bag during their testimony.
David Belin then flew Lt. Day to Washington, and put words into his mouth that suggested Day had found the bag.
When the FBI was asked to bring the evidence to Dallas and get those who'd discovered the evidence to confirm the evidence in possession of the FBI and WC was the original evidence,the bag was shown to Day and Day alone, even though the FBI's original evidence photo for the palm print showed Montgomery, Johnson and Studebaker's initials by the palm print, and not Day's.
When asked about the bag in his final Oral History, Day claimed the bag was picked up when he was gone. Well, let's recall that once he went to work on the rifle he did not return to the SN for 90 minutes or so, and that Montgomery and Johnson had taken the bag from the building near the end or at the end of that 90 minutes.

So this leaves the possibility Day saw the bag in the sniper's nest upon his first arrival, and that he thought he'd get back to it upon his return from the crime lab. But this fails the smell test, seeing as none of those arriving at the sniper's nest before Day's arrival had any recollection of a gun case/bag sitting on the floor of the sniper's nest, and no pictures were taken of it in the sniper's nest, and neither Montgomery nor Day (the two possible finders of the bag) could tell a consistent story regarding where the bag was "discovered."

News reporter Kent Biffle states the bag was discovered before the rifle was located. He mentions "We", this can only be assumed to be the various detectives,

Taken from Biffle's notes  page 6 and 7:

It didn't take the policemen long to find the cartridges by the ambush window. We all stood around staring at the brown wrapping paper found nearby. It was a reasonable conclusion that it held the rifle.
An officer in the northwest corner of the room yelled: "Over here!"

I ran over, dodging down narrow alleys in the stacks of packing crates. I was secure in the knowledge that my theory was materializing. They'd found the body of the gunman, I guessed.
I was let down when the policeman pointed among a jumble of boxes at the hidden rifle. The muzzle and the steel butt plate were barely visible.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2020, 11:09:34 AM »
J C Day said as much in his testimony---"To the best of my knowledge" basically means he was told what to say ;)

No he didn’t say any such thing. And who taught you English vocabulary? I suggest you consult a dictionary.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2020, 11:09:34 AM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2020, 11:31:32 AM »

Thanks Pat. So you are acknowledging that:

“So this leaves the possibility Day saw the bag in the sniper's nest upon his first arrival, and that he thought he'd get back to it upon his return from the crime lab.”

Instead of saying “...Day hadn’t actually seen the bag...”

By the way I purchased the video of Day’s last oral history from the Sixth Floor Museum a while back. He was ninety something. And during the conversation he was looking at photos taken at the crime scene. He was having difficulty orienting things. It is apparent to me that his memory was somewhat faded. In 1996, he says that he hasn’t read any of the conspiracy books. So it is understandable that he might have remembered incorrectly and thought that the east wall was the north wall. The diagram he made shows where he saw the bag. “To the best of his knowledge” simply implies that he cannot be sure that it wasn’t moved before he got there and saw it in the corner.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »

News reporter Kent Biffle states the bag was discovered before the rifle was located. He mentions "We", this can only be assumed to be the various detectives,

Taken from Biffle's notes  page 6 and 7:

It didn't take the policemen long to find the cartridges by the ambush window. We all stood around staring at the brown wrapping paper found nearby. It was a reasonable conclusion that it held the rifle.
An officer in the northwest corner of the room yelled: "Over here!"

I ran over, dodging down narrow alleys in the stacks of packing crates. I was secure in the knowledge that my theory was materializing. They'd found the body of the gunman, I guessed.
I was let down when the policeman pointed among a jumble of boxes at the hidden rifle. The muzzle and the steel butt plate were barely visible.

Good post Jack. The interruption by the discovery of the rifle is at the heart of the confusion.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2020, 01:01:43 PM »
Trask didn't have access to the digitized copies of the bag in front of the building now available. As first noticed by the late great researcher John Hunt, and presented on the Lancer Forum, if I recall, Montgomery's watch was fairly clear in one of the photos. Here is a close-up of that watch.

Thanks Pat. Also consider the time recorded on the evidence sheet on the stuff Montgomery and Johnson took to the crime lab. I believe it was 3.20pm from memory.

Day never saw the bag on the 6th floor. Maybe he saw it on the first floor wrapping table just before 2pm though.