Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The "smirk"  (Read 26425 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: The "smirk"
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2019, 03:40:25 PM »
Advertisement
Getting back to the point of this thread - how Oswald's smirk *somehow* in some way signifies his guilt when he:

Went to work that day
Said, "Oh..." when a co-worker explained what all of the commotion was about in DP
Hid a gun
Built a nest
Put the gun together but didn't fire the gun to test the scope
Fired 3 shots
Hid the gun
Went down and bought a Coca Cola
Left the building
Walked down the street
Caught a bus
Got off the bus and walked over to a cab stand
Took a cab
Got out away from his destination and walked back
Changed clothes and got his pistol
Walked down the street
Shot a cop
Ejected his shells
Threw his coat down on the ground
Snuck into a theater
Fought with police and was arrested
Said, "The only reason why this happened was because I lived in Russia. I'm a patsy."
Reminded his wife to buy his daughter new shoes
Told police he was down on the first floor to watch the P. Parade.
Was murdered

Further, Oswald's mouth shape was narrow with kind of an overbite. Like this guy's mouth. Cover up this guy's face except for the mouth and you can't tell them apart. I have yet to hear if this guy has been arrested because of his smirk - LOL

I don’t believe that I have indicated that the “smirk” implied guilt. I thought that it was interesting that some of the witness comments included seeing the perpetrator smile or grin, etc. And I asked if anyone knew of other such witness comments. One of the two that I bought up in the first post, from Ms Davis, tends to suggest that the “smile” of the  Tippit murderer, that she saw  running away from the scene, could have been Oswald’s infamous “smirk.” And makes the suggestion that the murderer was someone else less likely to be true.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2019, 03:40:25 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2019, 06:30:46 PM »
Not sure if it is entirely true but I had heard that Elvis had been watching TV when they had brought Oswald out and Mr Presley saw that smirk and put a bullet into the television ...freaking out his manager and others who were watching with him.

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2019, 06:35:59 PM »
No, Oswald's smirk ONLY proves he had a smirk
Now stop crying
Huh? Your senility may be fast approaching.. old man :-\

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2019, 06:35:59 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2019, 09:06:45 PM »
Not sure if it is entirely true but I had heard that Elvis had been watching TV when they had brought Oswald out and Mr Presley saw that smirk and put a bullet into the television ...freaking out his manager and others who were watching with him.

There was a lot emotional reactions to the assassination. Ruby’s emotional reaction to shoot Oswald wasn’t from out in left field somewhere. Here are words written by Wes Wise (from “When the News Went Live”) describing the scene outside the Dallas County Jail. They were awaiting the arrival of LHO being transferred there on 11/24/63:

““Ladies and gentlemen,” the sheriff announced, “Lee Harvey Oswald has been shot and is on his way to Parkland Hospital.” Like an explosion, a blood-curdling cheer and resounding applause erupted from the crowd. All the pent-up emotions of Dallas, Texas, seemed to emerge at that moment: hurt, confusion, fear, disgust and, most of all, indescribable sadness and sorrow for a fallen president, for his lovely wife and two beautiful children. I stood there in the middle of the street, dead microphone in hand, shaking my head.”

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:10:35 PM by Charles Collins »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2019, 09:50:03 PM »

Could have been a crowd response to a yahoo doing a rebel-yell and waving his Stetson Texas-style when the news was heard. Could be some didn't hear the radio at all and didn't known at first what it was about.

Sort of like the media getting wrong the "mocking" of Trump at the NATO celebration.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2019, 09:50:03 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2019, 11:33:07 PM »

Could have been a crowd response to a yahoo doing a rebel-yell and waving his Stetson Texas-style when the news was heard. Could be some didn't hear the radio at all and didn't known at first what it was about.

Sort of like the media getting wrong the "mocking" of Trump at the NATO celebration.

Here’s Wes Wise’s words that precede what I posted above:

“Something’s happened!” someone shouted from The Blue Goose. [The Blue Goose was the nickname of their remote broadcast truck] “Stand by!” As often happens at a time like this, the reporter on the scene knows less than the crew behind the scene. Slowly, agonizingly, it trickled down to me that Oswald had been seriously wounded in the basement of the city jail. Sheriff Decker walked out and confirmed the startling news. The crowd, observing the confusion on the street, could not comprehend. “We don’t know yet who did it,” the sheriff mumbled. “I guess I better tell these people.” He walked into the middle of the street and faced the crowd, now three or four deep along the curb. Then came one of the most memorable of all my experiences of that unbelievable weekend.”

So it appears that the crowd learned about it from Decker’s announcement and reacted to it as Wes Wise describes in my earlier post!

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2019, 05:50:52 AM »
So, going by my layman's memory of what I learned many years ago in school:

The U.S. Supreme Court, or any part of the judicial branch, does not create laws. It only interprets laws which are created by the legislative branch, and sometimes decides whether or not they violate the Constitution. Therefore, the Supreme Court rulings in 1961 or 1968, for example, did not change the law, they clarified the intent of the law. Based on this, it appears to me that the Terry stop (which had been common practice for a long time in 1963) was not illegal.

Here’s the thing. Even if you want to argue that a “Terry stop” was constitutional before the Supreme Court majority invented it, what the Dallas police did to Oswald did not qualify.

“We merely hold today that, where a police officer observes unusual conduct which leads him reasonably to conclude in light of his experience that criminal activity may be afoot and that the persons with whom he is dealing may be armed and presently dangerous, where, in the course of investigating this behavior, he identifies himself as a policeman and makes reasonable inquiries, and where nothing in the initial stages of the encounter serves to dispel his reasonable fear for his own or others' safety, he is entitled for the protection of himself and others in the area to conduct a carefully limited search of the outer clothing of such persons in an attempt to discover weapons which might be used to assault him.” — Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968), (emphasis mine).

No police officer observed Oswald or the other two men in the theater engaging in any unusual conduct prior to being detained and searched, nor did any police officer make reasonable inquiries first.

And in any case, probable cause was absolutely necessary to make an arrest for murder.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2019, 05:50:52 AM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2019, 12:23:11 PM »
Here’s the thing. Even if you want to argue that a “Terry stop” was constitutional before the Supreme Court majority invented it, what the Dallas police did to Oswald did not qualify.

“We merely hold today that, where a police officer observes unusual conduct which leads him reasonably to conclude in light of his experience that criminal activity may be afoot and that the persons with whom he is dealing may be armed and presently dangerous, where, in the course of investigating this behavior, he identifies himself as a policeman and makes reasonable inquiries, and where nothing in the initial stages of the encounter serves to dispel his reasonable fear for his own or others' safety, he is entitled for the protection of himself and others in the area to conduct a carefully limited search of the outer clothing of such persons in an attempt to discover weapons which might be used to assault him.” — Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968), (emphasis mine).

No police officer observed Oswald or the other two men in the theater engaging in any unusual conduct prior to being detained and searched, nor did any police officer make reasonable inquiries first.

And in any case, probable cause was absolutely necessary to make an arrest for murder.

I will come back to your argument. But first I would like to know if you think that the police acted “illegally” when they stopped Hamby before he sprinted across the library lawn. Just this part, I already know what you have said about what happened after this point in time.

Here is a quote from “With Malice” by Dale Myers:

Hamby swung his car south off
Jefferson onto Denver and nosed into a dirt parking area for library employees. As he climbed out of his car, Hamby noticed a crowd of policemen near the intersection of Jefferson and Marsalis. He thought there had been a car wreck on the corner. Suddenly, two plainclothesmen appeared out of nowhere and grabbed him. Adrian D. Hamby in 1963. Courtesy of Adrian Hamby “Sir, what are you doing in this area,” one of them demanded. “I work here at the library. I’m a page,” Hamby replied unsure if this was some kind of joke. “Well listen,” the man replied. “Someone just shot and killed a police officer in the vicinity and we think the suspect is loose. Do us a favor. Go into the library, get a hold of management, tell them to lock the doors and not let anyone inside until we secure the area.”