Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: CBS News Inquiry 1967 - Warren Report (Dan Rather carries a rifle package)  (Read 12852 times)

Offline Bill Chapman

Advertisement
Why can’t you just accept what Frazier said?

Oh but I do... I take all his statements over the past decades in consideration and not just what he said once in what must have been a highly stressfull situation for him.

You on the other hand seem to pick one statement and ignore the rest..... some might call that cherry picking.

Yep, Frazier sticks with his story all right; making sure to keep his stated estimation of the package Oswald brought to work shorter than even a broken-down rifle. Do I have to spell this out?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 04:03:54 PM by Bill Chapman »

JFK Assassination Forum

Online Charles Collins

So, all testimony given under oath is always complete and 100% correct.... Is that your position?

No, not at all. My point is that you appear to be discounting his WC testimony and suggesting that he has said something contrary in the years since then. All I am saying is that he isn't under oath to tell the truth in the typical interviews, etc he has done since the WC testimony.

Offline Jerry Organ

The circumference of the paper bag is about 16" (folded bag laid flat was about 8" across). The paper bag in the 3D depiction is well within the circumference.

This is some dispute as to which jacket Oswald wore to work, so a generic jacket-collar was used (the default white color doesn't mean I think he was wearing that color of jacket).

The area visible between the right armpit and right hand would have been totally filled with the paper bag color. According to the WCR, 34.8" is the length of the wooden stock.

I was able to get the end of the barrel through the detached front band, which rests at the bottom of the bag.

I have allowed room for the trigger assembly but have not drawn it yet on my Carcano model.

The oversized numerals are as they appear in SketchUp.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 03:38:57 AM by Jerry Organ »

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Michael Clark

Well done. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:50:46 AM by Michael Clark »

Online Charles Collins

The circumference of the paper bag is about 16" (folded bag laid flat was about 8" across). The paper bag in the 3D depiction is well within the circumference.

This is some dispute as to which jacket Oswald wore to work, so a generic jacket-collar was used (the default white color doesn't mean I think he was wearing that color of jacket).

The area visible between the right armpit and right hand would have been totally filled with the paper bag color. According to the WCR, 34.8" is the length of the wooden stock.

I was able to get the end of the barrel through the detached front band, which rests at the bottom of the bag. I have allowed room for the trigger assembly but have not drawn it yet on my Carcano model.

Nice work. The only thing that I think you might want to consider is the testimony of Frazier that concerns what he calls the big sleeves of the jacket. I think that he made the point (a couple of times) that the oversized (baggy?) sleeves blocked the view (from behind) of most of the package.

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Colin Crow

I was able to get the end of the barrel through the detached front band, which rests at the bottom of the bag.

I have allowed room for the trigger assembly but have not drawn it yet on my Carcano model.

Well done Jerry. How was the top of the bag sealed? Square fold over or taped like Dan Rather's example?

Offline John Mytton

Square fold over or taped like Dan Rather's example?

Ruth Paine testified that the blanket was secured by a number of parallel strings and it follows that Oswald after inserting his rifle into his open ended sack would use his same methodology to secure the top, why change an established winning formula?

As Jerry's graphic shows, only the top few inches needs to be tightly secured and it appears that in the following photo taken outside the Depository just a couple of hours later that the amount of scrunching on the end of Oswald's actual bag fits the bill perfectly. Case Closed. Time to get a life!

Mr. BALL. I have one question, Mr. Chief Justice. You used an expression there, that the bag appeared heavy.
Mrs. RANDLE. Yes, sir.
Mr. BALL. You meant that there was some weight appeared to--
Mrs. RANDLE. To the bottom.
Mr. BALL. To the bottom?
Mrs. RANDLE. Yes. It tapered like this as he hugged it in his hand. It was more bulky toward the bottom than it was this way.
Mr. BELIN. Toward the top? More bulky toward the bottom than toward the top?
Mrs. RANDLE. That is right.

JohnM

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:51:21 AM by John Mytton »

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Colin Crow

Ruth Paine testified that the blanket was secured by a number of parallel strings and it follows that Oswald after inserting his rifle into his open ended sack would use his same methodology to secure the top, why change an established winning formula?

As Jerry's graphic shows, only the top few inches needs to be tightly secured and it appears that in the following photo taken outside the Depository just a couple of hours later that the amount of scrunching on the end of Oswald's actual bag fits the bill perfectly. Case Closed. Time to get a life!

Mr. BALL. I have one question, Mr. Chief Justice. You used an expression there, that the bag appeared heavy.
Mrs. RANDLE. Yes, sir.
Mr. BALL. You meant that there was some weight appeared to--
Mrs. RANDLE. To the bottom.
Mr. BALL. To the bottom?
Mrs. RANDLE. Yes. It tapered like this as he hugged it in his hand. It was more bulky toward the bottom than it was this way.
Mr. BELIN. Toward the top? More bulky toward the bottom than toward the top?
Mrs. RANDLE. That is right.

JohnM

So secured in some fashion. No need to cut with scissors as you previously speculated? Are you now going with disassembled? String or tape or just gravity? You don’t have a life John?