Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswald's Rifle Capability  (Read 20259 times)

Offline Jerry Freeman

Re: Oswald's Rifle Capability
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 10:44:19 PM »
Advertisement
The fact is that Marina witnessed Oswald working the bolt,
How is that a "fact"?
By her diligent and straight-forward honesty with everything she said

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 10:44:19 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 11:40:34 PM »
...except when did she even say that?

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 01:15:40 AM »
...except when did she even say that?
Oh...she 'heard it'--
Mr. RANKIN. You have described your husband's practicing on the hack porch at New Orleans with the telescopic scope and the rifle, saying he did that very regularly there.
Did you ever see him working the bolt, that action that opens the rifle, where you can put a shell in and push it back- during those times?
Mrs. OSWALD. I did not see it, because it was dark:D.. and I would be in the room at that time.
But I did hear the noise from it from time to time not often.
Mr. RANKIN. You have told us about his practicing with the rifle, the telescopic lens, on the back porch at New Orleans, and also his using the bolt action that you heard from time to time.
Will you describe that a little more fully to us, as best you remember?
Mrs. OSWALD. I cannot describe that in greater detail. I can only say that Lee would sit there with the rifle and open and close the bolt and clean it. No, he didn't clean it at that time. Yes--twice he did clean it.
Mr. RANKIN. And did he seem to be practicing with the telescopic lens, too, and sighting the gun on different objects?
Mrs. OSWALD. I don't know. The rifle was always with this. I don't know exactly how he practiced, because I was in the house, I was busy. I just knew that he sits there with his rifle. I was not interested in it.
Did Oswald name his rifle? Did he ever chant the Marine chant 'This is my rifle this is my gun this is for shooting this is for fun'? :P

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 01:15:40 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 01:48:05 AM »
Oh...she 'heard it'--Did Oswald name his rifle? Did he ever chant the Marine chant 'This is my rifle this is my gun this is for shooting this is for fun'? :P

Yes, he did ... And he thought Marina couldn't understand what he was chanting in English..... Until she  hit him on the head with a Russian Language dictionary...

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2019, 03:03:38 AM »
she 'heard it'--
http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/oswald_m1.htm
And then 15 years later... she didn't----
Mr. McDONALD. Can you recall overhearing the sound of Lee handling the rifle? In other words, do you recall when he would be sitting on the porch, do you recall loud sounds of what would be moving the bolt or the action on the rifle?
Mrs. PORTER. I do not recall right now.
Mr. McDONALD. If you think about it for a minute, do you recall that kind of sound, the sound of metal on metal, sort of a clacking sound?
Mrs. PORTER. Not that I remember it; no.
Mr. McDONALD. Did you ever see him move the action of the rifle?
Mrs. PORTER. I told you I did not pay attention to what he was doing that much, to give you the descriptions, if he changed the positions or was it any sounds, because I wasn't listening for it.
Mr. McDONALD. Do you know or do you remember any time when he would handle the rifle when it seemed like he would be shooting at something, an imaginary object?
Mrs. PORTER. No, I cannot.
Mr. McDONALD. Pulling the trigger?
Mrs. PORTER. No, I cannot tell you that.
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/m_j_russ/hscamar1.htm

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2019, 03:03:38 AM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2019, 06:09:04 AM »
How is that a "fact"?

Oswald's Rifle Practice Outside the Marines
Cite: NARA

During one of his leaves from the Marines, Oswald hunted with his brother Robert, using a .22 caliber bolt-action rifle belonging either to Robert or Robert's in-laws.785 After he left the Marines and before departing for Russia, Oswald, his brother, and a third companion went hunting for squirrels and rabbits.786 On that occasion Oswald again used a bolt-action .22 caliber rifle; and according to Robert, Lee Oswald exhibited an average amount of proficiency with that weapon.787 While in Russia, Oswald obtained a hunting license, joined a hunting club and went hunting about six times, as discussed more fully in chapter VI.788 Soon after Oswald returned from the Soviet Union he again went hunting with his brother, Robert, and used a borrowed .22 caliber bolt-action rifle.789 After Oswald purchased the Mannlicher-Carcano rifle, he told his wife that he practiced with it.790 Marina Oswald testified that on one occasion she saw him take the rifle, concealed in a raincoat, from the house on Neely Street. Oswald told her he was going to practice with it. 791 According to George De Mohrenschildt, Oswald said that he went target shooting with that rifle.792

Marina Oswald testified that in New Orleans in May of 1963, she observed Oswald sitting with the rifle on their screened porch at night, sighting with the telescopic lens and operating the bolt.798 Examination of the cartridge cases found on the sixth floor of the Depository
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:27:40 AM by Bill Chapman »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2019, 06:24:21 AM »
By her diligent and straight-forward honesty with everything she said

Yet you believe her HCSA testimony it seems. How convenient.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2019, 06:24:21 AM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2019, 07:04:53 AM »
Im going on the fact that the only way they could align the scope for elevation was to unsrew the mount itself and insert a shim and then rescrew the mount at a lsightly different angle.

IDK if you can physically damage a scope to only cause elevation mis alignment so bad that it requires adding a shim, but not cause any damage to horizontal alignment and do this in the 30 sec after the shooting, while also wiping prints off with a shirt or rag, and also while running with rifle acroos the floor at 10 ft per sec

If the scope became somehow misaligned before the shooting started, it doesn't make sense that any attempt would be made to use it. Some suggest that he found a way to use the iron sights.

And I don't see how anyone would know that Oswald would have been running with the rifle. Or even needed to. The time trials indicate a time of between 75-90 seconds, IMS. Brennan testified that the shooter paused after the last shot and didn't seem to be hurried.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 07:08:12 AM by Bill Chapman »