JFK Assassination Forum 
Logo
HomeThe Robin Unger JFK Assassination GalleryYoutube JFK Assassination Video ChannelSearchNotepadLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 23, 2017, 12:15:53 PM
News: Posts and threads containing swear words, personal insults or crudities, content considered by Admin to be spamming, when reported or observed, may be edited or deleted.
The perpetrator of any offense may receive a posting suspension of a period to be determined by Admin in relation to the considered severity of the offense.
Questions relating to deletions or edits will not be answered by Admin via any communication method here or elsewhere.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
VINCENT BUGLIOSI'S "RECLAIMING HISTORY": WHAT ARE PEOPLE REALLY SAYING ABOUT IT?  (Read 6988 times)

ANOTHER MYTH STARTED BY CONSPIRACY THEORISTS:

VINCENT BUGLIOSI'S "RECLAIMING HISTORY" -- WHAT ARE MOST PEOPLE REALLY SAYING ABOUT IT?

========================================

In my second rebuttal of James DiEugenio's April 2010 article entitled As a guest, you are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I mentioned the fact that Vincent Bugliosi's 2007 book, "Reclaiming History", had received far more positive reviews at Amazon.com than it had negative reviews. And I thought I'd repeat that same Amazon information (and I've added several more interesting "RH" statistics) in this new thread, to isolate it from the other stuff in this rebuttal article below:

As a guest, you are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

--------------------------

During his appearance on "Black Op Radio" on April 15, 2010 [linked As a guest, you are not allowed to view links. Register or Login], conspiracy theorist James DiEugenio couldn't help but take a few more verbal swings at author Vincent Bugliosi and Vince's 2007 book, "Reclaiming History".

Near the end of the program, DiEugenio said this about Bugliosi's book:

"The only person who believed it ["Reclaiming History"] was Tom Hanks." -- Jim DiEugenio; 4/15/10

Well, Jim, let's just take a minute or two and examine the review statistics currently at Amazon.com for Mr. Bugliosi's "Reclaiming History":

As of this moment [on April 29, 2010], the book has received 187 customer reviews -- including my own (which, naturally, included a deserved 5-Star rating, and can be seen at the link below):

The average "star" rating at Amazon.com, as of this writing on 4/29/10, is 3.63 stars (679 total stars, divided by 187 reviews at Amazon's USA website).

And out of those 187 reviews, 99 of them are 5-Star (maximum) reviews, while another 18 people gave the book a 4-Star rating, and another 16 people have given it a 3-Star ranking:

So, when doing the math, this means (based on Amazon's current crop of reviews) that 133 out of 187 people have given "Reclaiming History" a BETTER-THAN-AVERAGE rating (3 stars or higher). That figures to 71.1% of the reviews.

So, almost 3 out of every 4 reviewers at Amazon.com are essentially saying "Thumbs Up" to Vincent Bugliosi's JFK book. Only 28.9% of the reviewers have given the book a poor rating of 2 stars or 1 star. And 52.9% of the reviewers (99 of 187) think the book deserves a PERFECT 5-Star rating.

Now, considering all of the built-in things that Vince's book had going against it from the get-go in 2007 -- such as the fact it's absolutely enormous (2800+ pages, including the CD-ROM disc), and the fact it has a high retail price ($49.95), and the sad-but-true fact that 75% of the American public (per the 2003 Gallup Poll) believe in a conspiracy in the JFK case -- I'd say that those stats for Bugliosi's book at Amazon are remarkably good.

Now, let's check out some other Internet sites which are selling "Reclaiming History" and see how the book's ratings shape up at those locations:

At Amazon's Canadian website (Amazon.ca), as of April 29, 2010, Bugliosi's JFK book has received 13 total reviews (note: there are never nearly as many customer reviews listed at any of the foreign-country Amazon websites when compared with the USA site), and 61.5% of those thirteen reviewers have given "Reclaiming History" a very good "star" rating -- 7 perfect "5-Star" ratings and 1 four-star endorsement. 5 people (38.5%) thought the book was a total bust, giving it one star:

So, at Amazon's Canadian site, the average rating is currently 3.38 stars. Not too bad for a book that most conspiracy theorists at the various Internet forums think is nothing but a steaming pile of B.S.

Now let's take a look at the "RH" data at Amazon's United Kingdom site (Amazon.co.uk):

There are currently 9 total reviews listed at Amazon.co.uk for "Reclaiming History", and 67% of those reviewers have given the book a 5-Star score. Here's the breakdown:

5 Stars -- 6.
4 Stars -- 1.
3 Stars -- 0.
2 Stars -- 1.
1 Star --- 1.

Average Rating -- 4.11 out of 5 stars.

Just for fun, let's also have a gander at Amazon's site in France (Amazon.fr):

There's just one review for Vince Bugliosi's masterpiece at the French site, and it is a perfect 5-Star review. (It was written, btw, by Francois Carlier, who sometimes posts at JFK newsgroups.)

We now move on to Barnes & Noble booksellers:

At B&N, as of this date, there have been 25 "ratings" posted for the book "Reclaiming History" (18 of these "ratings" are written reviews, while the remaining 7 are apparently ratings from other people who have created an account at B&N but did not elect to write a full review for the book).

The average B&N rating is currently 4 stars (out of 5). And 9 of the 18 people (50%) who wrote reviews for the book have given it the maximum of 5 stars:

And then there's a place called "Powell's Books", which at the present time has two reviews listed for "Reclaiming History", and both of those reviewers have given Bugliosi's tome a perfect 5-Star rating:

So, Mr. DiEugenio, what was that you were saying about only Tom Hanks believing the things written in "Reclaiming History"?

David Von Pein
April 16, 2010
Revised April 29, 2010

-------------------------
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:26:23 AM by David Von Pein »

ReplyReply

BORING PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME...... sleepy2

ReplyReply

BORING PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

Well, geez, you could at least have possessed the decency to tell me that BEFORE I did all that work with those "RH" statistics, which are statistics that prove that conspiracy theorists like Jim DiEugenio don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about when they (he) say stupid things like this:

"The only person who believed it ["Reclaiming History"] was Tom Hanks." -- James DiEugenio

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:52:20 AM by David Von Pein »

ReplyReply

Hey David,

I don't need to read these reviews from book sellers on "Reclaiming History".
Why should I?
Down here, the Los Angeles Library system had it available
very quickly to check out.
So, in hopes of finding something new to read I opened it up without
any expectations. It put me to sleep.....literally put me to sleep.

I would say it was the Warren Report meets commercial literature.
Who cares about 2 pathetic reviews from Powell's Books?
 Barnes and Noble? or E-Bay????
Do you really think it deserves even one damn  star????
and what is a silly "star" anyways????
I can only give you one persons' review....BORING !!!![/b]

ReplyReply

I don't need to read these reviews from book sellers on "Reclaiming History". Why should I?

Oh, I don't need to read the reviews either. In fact, I read none of them.

But that's not the point of my thread-starting post. The point was this:

When CTers say things like "The only person who believed it ["Reclaiming History"] was Tom Hanks" [DiEugenio; 4/15/10], it showcases their lack of knowledge about what the "mainstream" reviewers (aka: the majority of regular people who buy books and write reviews for them at Amazon and elsewhere) are saying about Bugliosi's book.

I certainly don't need to read the reviews to debunk the above silly quote uttered by Jim DiEugenio. All I needed to do is exactly what I did tonight -- search the Internet book sites and check out what the ratings are for "Reclaiming History".

And when you do that, you'll find that the VAST MAJORITY of people who have chosen to write reviews for Vincent Bugliosi's JFK book have given a healthy "THUMBS UP" to that book (at least as of this writing on April 29th, 2010).

Simple as that. (Much to the chagrin of Mr. DiEugenio, I would surmise.)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:55:19 AM by David Von Pein »

ReplyReply

I can only give you one person's review....[Vincent Bugliosi's "Reclaiming History" is] BORING!!!!

LOL. Yeah, the LN truth probably is considered "boring" to most conspiracy-happy, fantasy-craving individuals of Planet Earth.

OTOH, it's quite remarkable (to me anyway) that some people who obviously have a great deal of interest in the way JFK died in 1963 (otherwise, why the heck sign up to post messages on a "JFK Forum" like this one?) can actually read Vince Bugliosi's masterpiece of logic, common sense, and REAL EVIDENCE and then say they were "bored" by it all.

That's absolutely incredible. (And absolutely silly, too.)

Just one man's opinion, you understand.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:59:34 AM by David Von Pein »

ReplyReply

David,

If your point is what James DiEugenio's is saying.....
why do you care?...judging by his article title,
using your name in it....there is some sort of vendetta goin' down.
Who cares about the booksellars  "star"system ........and
James DiWhogivesadamn????
Rise above it Dave....re-arranging your sock drawer would be a
better use of time.

ReplyReply

If your point is what James DiEugenio's is saying.....why do you care?

Zoooommmm! My previous post goes flying straight over the head of Martin Covax! As a guest, you are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, which will answer your last question.

Judging by his [DiEugenio's] article title, using your name in it....there is some sort of vendetta goin' down.

Sort of looks like it, doesn't it?

I just wonder why DiEugenio cares what a nobody like me thinks.

~shrug~

He obviously does care though. And he gets almost everything wrong (about both me and the JFK case in general), which is obvious by the fact that he believes Oswald shot no one on 11/22/63. And that's way below the Mendoza line of .200. Jim's batting .000 in the "How Many People Did Oswald Kill On November 22?" department.

Of course, Jim's not alone with that triple-zero batting average. Many CTers on the Internet share the same miserable average. Casey Stengel would be appalled.

Who cares about the booksellers' "star" system and James DiWhogivesadamn???? Rise above it Dave. Re-arranging your sock drawer would be a better use of time.

There's never a need for that, Martin. My sock drawer is always neat as a pin. In fact, I call it my "Roger Craig Sock Drawer" -- each pair of socks is always facing the same direction and is never more than an inch away from the pair beside it.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:46:41 AM by David Von Pein »

ReplyReply
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Jump to:  

JFK Assassination Forum Assassination of JFK discussion and debate surrounding the assassination of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy In Dealey Plaza Texas on November 22nd 1963

JFK Assassination Photographs Gallery

JFK Assassination Forum Assassination of JFK discussion and debate surrounding the assassination of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy In Dealey Plaza Texas on November 22nd 1963