Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Bobby Nolan's Bullet  (Read 10940 times)

Online Mitch Todd

Re: Bobby Nolan's Bullet
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 04:37:41 AM »
Advertisement

"The most curious discovery of all took place when they rolled me off the stretcher, and onto the examining table. A metal object fell to the floor, with a click no louder than a wedding band. The nurse picked it up and slipped it into her pocket. It was the bullet from my body, the one that passed through my back, chest and wrist and worked itself loose from my thigh.? [that's on page 18, BTW]

Looks like the it's stated in the third person, does it not?
[/quote

Maybe It still lends credibility that the event happened

Well, if the best credibility you can ascribe to it comes loaded with "maybe" and "lend," then there's not that much credibility to it in the first place.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 04:37:41 AM »

Offline Matt Grantham

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 05:31:33 AM »

Well, if the best credibility you can ascribe to it comes loaded with "maybe" and "lend," then there's not that much credibility to it in the first place.

It is true that I phrase certain types of claims, especially those regarding witness testimony, with less than absolute certainty however in the example you gave I do agree I went to far in being hedgy It would have been better to have said it without the maybe Thus it should have read

It still lends credibility that the event happened

I have ;little doubt if I wrote in terms of a greater level of certainty that would be worthy of criticism as well

No it is not stated in the third person It does not state another person told him these facts

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2018, 05:45:19 AM »
It is true that I phrase certain types of claims, especially those regarding witness testimony, with less than absolute certainty however in the example you gave I do agree I went to far in being hedgy It would have been better to have said it without the maybe Thus it should have read

It still lends credibility that the event happened

I have little doubt if I wrote in terms of a greater level of certainty that would be worthy of criticism as well

No it is not stated in the third person It does not state another person told him these facts

Here's the quote again:

"The most curious discovery of all took place when they rolled me off the stretcher, and onto the examining table. A metal object fell to the floor, with a click no louder than a wedding band. The nurse picked it up and slipped it into her pocket. It was the bullet from my body, the one that passed through my back, chest and wrist and worked itself loose from my thigh.?

How is it not stated in the third person active? The only time "me" or "I'" appears is as part of an adverbial phrase of a sentence who's subject is "discovery." Compare that to all the times he says things like "I see...", "I felt...", "I heard..." etc. 

With that out of the way, you are correct if you meant that Connally didn't specifically say that someone else told him the bullet falling story. But that's not important. He also didn't say that someone told him about the SS agents jumping from the Queen Mary and heading right for the TSBD, but we know that he didn't see that himself.  The important thing is, you can compare his earlier testimony to the different passages in the book. What he'd previously testified to is stated in the first person, while the things that are completely wrong, like the aforementioned SS assault on the TSBD front door, are stated in third person. 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2018, 05:45:19 AM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2018, 06:58:37 PM »
The question becomes, how can we filter what Connally directly remembers from what he divined from other sources?

And therein lies the problem with witness testimony.  You can ask the same question about any witness in the case.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2019, 08:35:06 PM »
I just watched the interview Bobby Nolan gave about the bullet (fragments) he was given by nurse Bell and which he passed on to Captain Fritz's office, despite several requests from FBI agents to hand it to them.

At around 17.48 in the interview (available on You tube) Nolan remarks that his initials are on the evidence envelope but they are upside down. Earlier he commented that he initialed the envelope when he left it on a desk in Captain Fritz's office.

What I find puzzling is Nolan's remark that he does not recall there being any kind of writing on the envelope when he initialed it. If true, it means that the information about the content was added later and thus could differ from the real content.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2019, 08:35:06 PM »

Offline Tim Nickerson

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
I just watched the interview Bobby Nolan gave about the bullet (fragments) he was given by nurse Bell and which he passed on to Captain Fritz's office, despite several requests from FBI agents to hand it to them.

At around 17.48 in the interview (available on You tube) Nolan remarks that his initials are on the evidence envelope but they are upside down. Earlier he commented that he initialed the envelope when he left it on a desk in Captain Fritz's office.

What I find puzzling is Nolan's remark that he does not recall there being any kind of writing on the envelope when he initialed it. If true, it means that the information about the content was added later and thus could differ from the real content.

https://www.maryferrell.org/audio/ARRB/ARRB_Bell_S1.mp3

Beginning at 43:28.

"Oh I know I filled it out.  I can tell it's my writing." --Audrey Bell

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2019, 09:09:44 PM »
https://www.maryferrell.org/audio/ARRB/ARRB_Bell_S1.mp3

Beginning at 43:28.

"Oh I know I filled it out.  I can tell it's my writing." --Audrey Bell

Thanks, Tim

Still not completely convinced?..

43:56

Perhaps a bit less sure; "It looks like, it really looks like my writing" -- Audrey Bell

44:29

"I didn't see my initial on that" -- Audrey Bell

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2019, 09:09:44 PM »

Offline Tim Nickerson

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2019, 09:12:18 PM »
Thanks, Tim

Still not completely convinced?..

43:56

Perhaps a bit less sure; "It looks like, it really looks like my writing" -- Audrey Bell

44:29

"I didn't see my initial on that" -- Audrey Bell

She didn't see her initials on it because she hadn't initialed it.