Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Lee Oswald The Cop Killer  (Read 348906 times)

Offline Bill Brown

Re: Lee Oswald The Cop Killer
« Reply #2632 on: May 18, 2022, 06:07:36 AM »
Advertisement
I don’t think we can. Benavides said he sat in his truck for a few minutes.

The problem is that there is no known time standard by which to calibrate any of these specific times that were  given.

Benavides also said that he watched the killer go around the corner and then sat in his truck "for a second or two" before getting out.

It's completely foolish to believe Benavides actually sat cowering down in his truck for three or four minutes while Tippit's body was lying in the street and others had begin to gather around.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2632 on: May 18, 2022, 06:07:36 AM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #2633 on: May 18, 2022, 06:26:53 AM »
It’s completely foolish to pretend you know what Benavides did with more certainty than Benavides.

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #2634 on: May 18, 2022, 06:29:00 AM »
It’s completely foolish to pretend you know what Benavides did with more certainty than Benavides.

Benavides said he watched the killer go around the corner and then sat in his truck "for a second or two" before getting out.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2634 on: May 18, 2022, 06:29:00 AM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #2635 on: May 18, 2022, 06:31:03 AM »
Yeah, but your cherry-pick was 3 years later. You don’t know which is more accurate.

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #2636 on: May 18, 2022, 07:35:11 AM »
I don’t think we can. Benavides said he sat in his truck for a few minutes.

Benavides also said that he watched the killer go around the corner and then sat in his truck "for a second or two" before getting out.

It's completely foolish to believe Benavides actually sat cowering down in his truck for three or four minutes while Tippit's body was lying in the street and others had begin to gather around.

Benavides said he watched the killer go around the corner and then sat in his truck "for a second or two" before getting out.

Yeah, but your cherry-pick was 3 years later. You don’t know which is more accurate.

Neither do you, of course.

It's up to each of us to determine for ourselves if it is foolish to believe Benavides sat in his truck for a few minutes while Tippit's body was lying in the street and others were already gathering around... or if Benavides sat in his truck for a second or two once the killer went around the corner.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 07:38:19 AM by Bill Brown »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2636 on: May 18, 2022, 07:35:11 AM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #2637 on: May 18, 2022, 09:29:39 AM »

It's up to each of us to determine for ourselves if it is foolish to believe Benavides sat in his truck for a few minutes while Tippit's body was lying in the street and others were already gathering around... or if Benavides sat in his truck for a second or two once the killer went around the corner.

Actually, on this one I agree with Bill.

And there is a way to make a determination of sorts about which of the two statements made by Benavides is more probable.

Callaway only had roughly 2/3 of one block to run to the scene, which would have taken him less than a minute. He started his "good hard run" after watching a man with a revolver running towards him on Patton and turning onto Jefferson. That man's run would have taken no more than a minute either. And we know from one of Bill Brown's YouTube video's that it took about 30 seconds to walk from Tippit's car to the corner of 10th and Patton. Add it all up, and the most probable conclusion must be that Callaway arrived at the scene roughly 3 minutes after the shots.

When he arrived, Bowley had already made his call, which lasted 48 seconds. In other words, Benavides had no more than roughly two minutes after the shots, to get out of his car, check on Tippit and try to call the dispatcher before handing over the mic to Bowley, which in turn means that his estimate that he waited in his car for several minutes can not be correct.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 01:23:39 PM by Martin Weidmann »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #2638 on: May 18, 2022, 11:14:07 PM »

Of course. I never claimed to, but you did. All I said was that we can’t just assume that the shooting occurred approximately one minute before he calls in.

At least admit that all you are doing is speculating.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2638 on: May 18, 2022, 11:14:07 PM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #2639 on: May 19, 2022, 12:04:46 AM »
Between 1:11pm and 1:12pm "tape time", Sawyer makes the following call:

On the 3rd floor of this book company down here, we found empty rifle hulls and it looked like the man had been here for some time. We are checking it out now.

It is clearly a reference to the shells found on the 6th floor but something got lost in translation.
This call must be a result of information given to Sawyer by Hill, who had just come stright down after the discovery of the SN. In his testimony Hill makes the point:

"I was talking to Inspector Sawyer, telling him what we found..."

According to Hill he meets Day arriving at the TSBD, sees the fire truck pulling up then goes to Sawyer and tells him what he found.
Presumably Sawyer then makes his call to dispatch between 1:11 and 1:12pm.
Carl Day is very specific about when he arrives at the TSBD:

Mr. Day: Yes, sir; I went out of my office almost straight up 1 o'clock. I arrived at the location on Elm about 1:12.

I'm assuming Day is going by his watch, if so we have some kind of synchronisation between "real" time and "tape" time.
Obviously there are issues with the accuracy of Day's timekeeping and the dispatcher clocks but it's a start.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 12:06:12 AM by Dan O'meara »