Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Lee Oswald The Cop Killer  (Read 353255 times)

Offline Tim Nickerson

Re: Lee Oswald The Cop Killer
« Reply #824 on: January 04, 2019, 07:32:30 AM »
Advertisement
I find it odd that 'Oswald's rifle' and 'Oswald's revolver,' although allegedly ordered months apart, were shipped on the exact same date.

Were they really ordered months apart though? How do you know? We know when the order coupon for the rifle was mailed because we have the photocopy of the envelope that it was mailed in. Do we have the similar for the revolver order? I don't believe we do. All we have is the date of 1/27 written on the order coupon. That's it.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #824 on: January 04, 2019, 07:32:30 AM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #825 on: January 16, 2019, 08:46:44 PM »
I can't make out if the "paid" you have underlined on the invoice is for the full amount or just for the deposit of $10,00.

"Paid" is written on the line that says "excise tax".  Who knows what that means?  Michaelis wasn't even working at Seaport Traders when this order was allegedly processed.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #826 on: January 16, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »
Note how Michaelis exhibit 3 (which is purported by Michaelis to be a carbon copy of exhibit 2) is identical, except it is missing the handwritten "paid", and the handwritten serial number of the gun.

The question is, when were these things handwritten in?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #826 on: January 16, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #827 on: January 20, 2019, 08:26:15 PM »
This is a long winded way of presenting speculation whilst not answering my basic question. In his testimony, Michaelis concluded that payment of the C.O.D. amount had been received because two documents were attached to eachother. That's it.... not a word about a draft (which would leave a paper trail) being issued or any further explanation about what was on the document. Now, what Michaelis said may well be true, but it doesn't explain - and that was my question - how Seaport Trading would know which payments were actually received and which documents should be attached to eachother. Your answer, as it is, doesn't explain that either.
I told you it was kinda long winded. Anyway, I figure that Michaelis knows what's what regarding this issue more than you or I could. And, as I've already noted, careful inspection --or even not-quite-so-careful-inspection-- shows that DL-30/Ex 5 was designed to track the COD payment all the way back to the shipper,  inform the shipper that REA had received the COD money and forwarded it to the shipper. Seaport Traders' possession of the completed document is demonstration that the item had indeed been paid for by the consignee. That is exactly the sort of thing you said you were looking for, I recall.

You can have a funny feeling as much as you like but in this case you would be wrong. It's really very simple. For a piece of physical evidence, such as a revolver taken from Oswald, there must be a credible chain of custody, which is a way designed by law to ensure that evidence is authentic and not tampered with. In this case, for the revolver there isn't such a chain of custody. Instead what you've got is some police officers being in the department's lunchroom, when Hill walks in (some two hours or so after Oswald's arrest) and he puts a revolver in front of them to be initialed, telling them this is the revolver that was taken from Oswald. They believe him but in truth they really have no way of knowing if what he said was true. It could of course be true, but it most certainly isn't protocol and it leaves the door wide open for a claim of possible evidence tampering. Now, if you are being kind to Hill, you could simply say he screwed up but there was no malice but that would be an opinion based on nothing at all. Now, if this was the only time when there was a problem with timelines and chains of custody you might just accept it as a good faith mistake, but in this case there are similar problems with evidence everywhere you look. And when that happens you can't just ignore it.... at least I can't. Perhaps you can?. with enough bias!

I have this other funny feeling that the chain-of-custody thing doesn't work quite the way that you think it does.

"Chain of custody need not be demonstrated for every piece of tangible evidence that is accepted into the trial court's record. Physical evidence that is readily identifiable by the witness might not need to be supported by chain-of-custody proof. For example, no chain-of-custody foundation is required for items that are imprinted with a serial number or inscribed with initials by an officer who collected the evidence."

(https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/chain+of+custody)

Or, as a law firm's website explains:

"Chain of custody issues do not apply to every piece of evidence.  Establishing a proper chain of custody is only required for fungible evidence.  Put simply, fungible evidence is evidence that has the capability of mutation, substitution, or degradation.  For example, drugs and blood have been considered to be fungible evidence.  A crack pipe, however, is ?a distinct and recognizable physical object,? and therefore, can be admissible without a proper showing of the chain of custody."

(https://bixonlaw.com/evidence-chain-custody/)

I read through those, and a number of other commentaries on the subject from sources that I would expect to be knowledgeable of the matter, and they all followed along the lines of what I've quoted. I can't find one that would require the sort of behavior you claim as the standard. 

As it is, we have a chain of custody, as established by the testimonies of the principals. McDonald grabbed the gun from Oswald. Carroll took the gun from McDonald's hand. Carroll gave the gun to Hill when they got in the car to take Oswald to the Dallas municipal building. Once there, Hill, McDonald, and Carroll took Oswald to an interrogation room in the Homicide Bureau's office on the third floor.  After leaving Oswald there, they decamped to the Personnel office, wrote reports, then marked the pistol with their initials.

But let me put this question to you; how do you propose to prove that the revolver now in the National Archives is in fact the same revolver that was taken from Oswald at the Texas Theater?
Well, so far, we have:

For establishing the authenticity of the gun: the testimonies of McDonald, Hill, and Carroll, and their recognition of their initials scratched into the metal of the gun.

Against establishing the authenticity of the gun: nothing.

It's not a hard choice. Unless you don't want to make it.

Nobody said anything about when the fiscal year starts.... between the purchase of the revolver and the murders there was only 8 months. Companies are required to keep the records intact for much longer. Your reply simply exposes your willingness to overlook anything that sheds a bad light on the investigation.
Companies are required to keep certain records, but not necessarily everything. That being said,  the problem is that you have yet to show that there is a bad light on the investigation here. The best you can do is insinuate that Hill might have done something with the weapon taken from Oswald, but you have no evidence whatsoever to support the supposition. Without such evidence, you instead try to assert some strict standard behavior regarding chain of possession, but a little digging appears to show that no such standard actually exist. You also continue to ignore the meaning of the REA COD brief, but it's exactly what you were asking for in the first place.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #828 on: January 20, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »
I told you it was kinda long winded. Anyway, I figure that Michaelis knows what's what regarding this issue more than you or I could. And, as I've already noted, careful inspection --or even not-quite-so-careful-inspection-- shows that DL-30/Ex 5 was designed to track the COD payment all the way back to the shipper,  inform the shipper that REA had received the COD money and forwarded it to the shipper. Seaport Traders' possession of the completed document is demonstration that the item had indeed been paid for by the consignee. That is exactly the sort of thing you said you were looking for, I recall.

Anyway, I figure that Michaelis knows what's what regarding this issue more than you or I could.

You can figure that as much as you like but as Michaelis wasn't even working for Seaport (he was a manager for Merchanteers Inc who supervised Seaport Trading) when the order was processed, I wouldn't be so sure about his level of intimate knowledge of their procedures as you want to be. In any event, your comment is nothing more than a weak and flawed "because he said so" appeal to authority. 

inform the shipper that REA had received the COD money and forwarded it to the shipper

And how do you think they forwarded the money? Did they send somebody from Dallas to California with the cash perhaps?

Seaport Traders' possession of the completed document is demonstration that the item had indeed been paid for by the consignee.

Really? So, you claim that somehow the invoice was returned to Seaport in addition to the COD money?

I have this other funny feeling that the chain-of-custody thing doesn't work quite the way that you think it does.

That would indeed be a funny feeling. Actually it would be a laughable one.

"Chain of custody need not be demonstrated for every piece of tangible evidence that is accepted into the trial court's record. Physical evidence that is readily identifiable by the witness might not need to be supported by chain-of-custody proof. For example, no chain-of-custody foundation is required for items that are imprinted with a serial number or inscribed with initials by an officer who collected the evidence."

(https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/chain+of+custody)

So, you get you "knowledge" from an on line dictionary? Wow! By it self what the dictionary says is true, but the problem here is that there is no witness who could identify the revolver by an easily identifiable feature like the serial number, because nobody really saw the revolver up close until Hill produced it at the police station. So, what you would be left with is the identification by initials inscribed in the item by the officer who collected it. This of course is again a massive problem because, until Hill produced the revolver at the lunchroom of the police station some two hours after Oswald was arrested, nobody had placed any initials on it. And, if memory serves, some of the initials on the revolver are from officers who actually never handled the revolver at all.

This kinda brings you back to square one; a chain of custody exists to prevent and/or eliminate, as much as possible, the possibility of tampering with the evidence. Due to the two hour gap between Oswald's arrest and the initialling of the revolver at the police station's lunchroom nobody has any way of knowing if the revolver Hill produced was indeed the same one as the one taken from Oswald at the Texas Theater.

Or, as a law firm's website explains:

"Chain of custody issues do not apply to every piece of evidence.  Establishing a proper chain of custody is only required for fungible evidence.  Put simply, fungible evidence is evidence that has the capability of mutation, substitution, or degradation.  For example, drugs and blood have been considered to be fungible evidence.  A crack pipe, however, is ?a distinct and recognizable physical object,? and therefore, can be admissible without a proper showing of the chain of custody."

(https://bixonlaw.com/evidence-chain-custody/)

You destroy your own argument as a revolver is in fact a piece of fungible evidence as it can be substituted!

I read through those, and a number of other commentaries on the subject from sources that I would expect to be knowledgeable of the matter, and they all followed along the lines of what I've quoted. I can't find one that would require the sort of behavior you claim as the standard. 

Your quotes are ok. They just work against you.

As it is, we have a chain of custody, as established by the testimonies of the principals. McDonald grabbed the gun from Oswald. Carroll took the gun from McDonald's hand. Carroll gave the gun to Hill when they got in the car to take Oswald to the Dallas municipal building.

So far so good. It would be fair to conclude that what Hill received was in fact the revolver taken from Oswald

But then, this happened;

Once there, Hill, McDonald, and Carroll took Oswald to an interrogation room in the Homicide Bureau's office on the third floor.  After leaving Oswald there, they decamped to the Personnel office, wrote reports, then marked the pistol with their initials.

Which is exactly where the problem lies; None of the officers who initialed the revolver Hill gave them had any way of knowing that this was in fact the revolver taken from Oswald. All they knew is that Hill told them it was, but even Hill had no evidence for that!

Well, so far, we have:

For establishing the authenticity of the gun: the testimonies of McDonald, Hill, and Carroll, and their recognition of their initials scratched into the metal of the gun.

Against establishing the authenticity of the gun: nothing.

It's not a hard choice. Unless you don't want to make it.

I have already explained how wrong you are. I can't explain it any better, but I'll give it one more try by asking you a simple question;

We agree that Hill took possession of the revolver taken from Oswald at the Texas Theater. And we also agree that the DPD officers initialled the revolver now in evidence some two hours later in the DPD lunchroom after Hill showed the weapon to them.

So, here is the question; How do we know with any kind of certainty that the revolver initialed by the DPD officers is in fact the same revolver as the one taken from Oswald some two hours earlier?

And, when you answer bare in mind that a chain of custody authethication of evidence just about always comes up when the word of a law enforcement officer about that evidence is questioned or challenged.

So, please try to answer the question with something else than "because Hill told us so"! Can you do that?

Companies are required to keep certain records, but not necessarily everything. That being said,  the problem is that you have yet to show that there is a bad light on the investigation here. The best you can do is insinuate that Hill might have done something with the weapon taken from Oswald, but you have no evidence whatsoever to support the supposition. Without such evidence, you instead try to assert some strict standard behavior regarding chain of possession, but a little digging appears to show that no such standard actually exist. You also continue to ignore the meaning of the REA COD brief, but it's exactly what you were asking for in the first place.

That being said,  the problem is that you have yet to show that there is a bad light on the investigation here.

Classic LN reversed burden of proof BS. The claim is that the revolver is authentic. That needs to be proven!

The best you can do is insinuate that Hill might have done something with the weapon taken from Oswald, but you have no evidence whatsoever to support the supposition.

I do not insinuate anything nor do I need evidence. The law says that evidence has to be authenticated in order to prevent tampering by law enforcement (which, and this might come as a shock to you, does indeed happen from time to time). One of the ways to do so is by producing a sound chain of custody!

Without such evidence, you instead try to assert some strict standard behavior regarding chain of possession, but a little digging appears to show that no such standard actually exist.

Actually what seems not to exist is an ability on your part to understand what is written.

You also continue to ignore the meaning of the REA COD brief, but it's exactly what you were asking for in the first place.

No it isn't and you seem to be unable to explain it would be. Apart, that is, from attaching an incorrect meaning to the document.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:56:28 PM by Martin Weidmann »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #828 on: January 20, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #829 on: January 21, 2019, 05:04:57 AM »
I got another trip coming up this week, but I want to dispose of this particular claim right now:

You destroy your own argument as a revolver is in fact a piece of fungible evidence as it can be substituted!

As far as the legal system is concerned, a gun is non-fungible. For example, from a 2005 SC supreme court decision:

"While the chain of custody requirement is strict where fungible evidence is involved, where the issue is the admissibility of non-fungible evidence- - that is, evidence that is unique and identifiable- - the establishment of a strict chain of custody is not required:
If the offered item possesses characteristics which are fairly unique and readily identifiable, and if the substance of which the item is composed is relatively impervious to change, the trial court is viewed as having broad discretion to admit merely on the basis of testimony that the item is the one in question and is in a substantially unchanged condition.  State v. Glenn, 328 S.C. 300, 305-306, 492 S.E.2d 393, 395 (Ct. App. 1997).

"Given the serial number and markings on the gun, and the fact that a gun is a non-fungible item, we find the chain of custody established by the state in this case was sufficient."

https://judicial.state.sc.us/opinions/displayOpinion.cfm?caseNo=26042

You also saw the statement in the previous quote about a crack pipe also being considered 'non-fungible'?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:56:18 AM by Mitch Todd »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #830 on: January 21, 2019, 10:29:49 AM »
I got another trip coming up this week, but I want to dispose of this particular claim right now:

As far as the legal system is concerned, a gun is non-fungible. For example, from a 2005 SC supreme court decision:

"While the chain of custody requirement is strict where fungible evidence is involved, where the issue is the admissibility of non-fungible evidence- - that is, evidence that is unique and identifiable- - the establishment of a strict chain of custody is not required:
If the offered item possesses characteristics which are fairly unique and readily identifiable, and if the substance of which the item is composed is relatively impervious to change, the trial court is viewed as having broad discretion to admit merely on the basis of testimony that the item is the one in question and is in a substantially unchanged condition.  State v. Glenn, 328 S.C. 300, 305-306, 492 S.E.2d 393, 395 (Ct. App. 1997).

"Given the serial number and markings on the gun, and the fact that a gun is a non-fungible item, we find the chain of custody established by the state in this case was sufficient."

https://judicial.state.sc.us/opinions/displayOpinion.cfm?caseNo=26042

You also saw the statement in the previous quote about a crack pipe also being considered 'non-fungible'?

Let me begin with correcting my error. I should have written; You destroy your own argument as a revolver without easily recognizable characteristics is, until it enters a chain of custody correctly by being marked, a piece of fungible evidence as it can be substituted.

That said, you are still missing the point and you clearly do not know much about how the legal system works. The Supreme Court gives an opinion about a particular case which does not automatically apply to all other cases. If it did every planted drop piece would be automatically accepted as authentic by the courts as well!

The court considers an item to be non-fungible "if the offered item possesses characteristics which are fairly unique and readily identifiable, and if the substance of which the item is composed is relatively impervious to change"

The revolver now in evidence does indeed have a serial number and thus, being easily identifiable and impervious to change, qualifies of course as non-fungible and does in fact even have a resemblance of a valid chain of custody, but, as that chain of custody doesn't trace all the way back to the Texas Theater, nobody is talking about that. In this case the problem is that we simply do not know if this is indeed the revolver taken from Oswald because nobody noted the serial number and/or special markings on Oswald's revolver, at the time it was taken from him at the Texas Theater.

The point that you are missing is that the chain of custody for the revolver now in evidence started in the police lunchroom some two hours after Oswald's arrest when it should have started at the Texas Theater!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:46:47 PM by Martin Weidmann »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #830 on: January 21, 2019, 10:29:49 AM »

Offline Rob Caprio

« Reply #831 on: January 21, 2019, 11:13:21 PM »
Can any WC endorser show that a 2" Commando is the *same* as a Special?