Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Can anybody provide proof of a successful reenactment of Oswald's feat?  (Read 50889 times)

Offline Bruce Backlund

Re: Can anybody provide proof of a successful reenactment of Oswald's feat?
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2018, 10:17:12 PM »
Advertisement
I'm sure you know that the scope was not only mounted askew it was mounted high and on the left of the barrel ....Not at all comfortable and conducive to fast accurate shooting....

The scope was nothing but a cheap  piece of junk that was hastily and clumsily mounted for sales appeal to help Kleins unload those cheap junky rifles..... 

Unwitting and gullible reporters latched onto the idea that the DPD was peddling, Which was the BS that the scope made the rifle a deadly accurate sniper's rifle.    The gullible reporters sold that BS to schocked ad grieving gullible public....  The Idea that that Carcano was the murder weapon is utterly absurd!!!

Walt,
That reminds me when I watched the old CBS 4 day TV special in 1967 on the assassination, and they had a man trying to duplicate Oswald's shooting. The guy was more interested in getting three shots off than taking time to aim. Where was the holding of your breath and squeezing the trigger? Basic marksmanship 101! Almost comical. The public bought it because many have no firearms experience! Who knows, perhaps Oswald had a little help from his friends. ;D

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2018, 10:17:12 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2018, 10:19:34 PM »
Walt
A  semi-automatic weapon, with the best scope money can buy, and the proper ammo, one man would be capable of pulling off a couple of rounds accurately. A stiff, 20 year old bolt action rifle with 20 year old Western Cartridge ammo, a scope out of alignment at a moving target at that distance, in that time limit, with at least 2 hits and probably one miss? I don't buy it. I also qualified as a marksmen. Not that good. Tens of thousands of guys better than me. So what we have is a least one known round fired from behind. I don't think anyone questions a shot or more from behind. Many witnesses heard three shots, and it happens three spent shell casings, along with a rifle were found on the sixth floor of the TSBD. Open and shut case for the Dallas PD it seems. Scopes are for snipers, and are very effective for their purpose, but under these time constraints using a bolt action rifle, Oswald would have to be an expert with that particular rifle and extremely lucky. As I said, many unanswered questions.
BB

So conspirators set the apparently crappy shot Oswald as a patsy, yet give him crappy ammo and rifle.. and then expect the public to believe him as the shooter.

Great plan!

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
So conspirators set the apparently crappy shot Oswald as a patsy, yet give him crappy ammo and rifle.. and then expect the public to believe him as the shooter.

Great plan!

Good enough to convince you apparently.  What conspirators though?  Bruce didn't say anything about conspirators.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2018, 02:33:40 AM »
Good enough to convince you apparently.  What conspirators though?  Bruce didn't say anything about conspirators.

LOL

Show me what CTer doesn't believe Oswald a patsy, doesn't think him a crappy shot with crappy ammo & rifle. And did it alone. Pretty sure BB dissed the rifle, ammo and minimized the 'marksman' marine level.

Offline Bruce Backlund

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2018, 04:04:46 AM »
LOL

Show me what CTer doesn't believe Oswald a patsy, doesn't think him a crappy shot with crappy ammo & rifle. And did it alone. Pretty sure BB dissed the rifle, ammo and minimized the 'marksman' marine level.

In no way am I being disrespectful to any man or woman in the USMC who attain a marksman level during qualifications. You have to achieve a marksman level of at least 190, or else you go back to rifle instruction and won't graduate with your platoon. My understanding was Oswald was a marksmen. Never achieved sharpshooter or expert that requires a 210 or better out of a possible 250. That being said, there are a hell of a lot of recruits who do achieve sharpshooter or expert in qualifications. Don't make Oswald something he wasn't. Like I said there are tens of thousands sharpshooters and experts. Even back in 1963, fake news would like you to believe Oswald was some expert which he never was. Average recruit, nothing more. Anyone in the business would buy an M1 Gerand or M1 carbine back in those days. Not some piece of garbage like a Carcano with a BB gun telescopic sight. Also remember Oswald was discharged as a hardship case, later changed to a dishonorable discharge. No help forthcoming from Gov. Connally to reverse it. I wonder sometimes if Kennedy was his intended victim. In any event, I take the middle road. Not a LN or CT in this case.
BB
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:15:41 AM by Bruce Backlund »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2018, 04:04:46 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »
In no way am I being disrespectful to any man or woman in the USMC who attain a marksman level during qualifications. You have to achieve a marksman level of at least 190, or else you go back to rifle instruction and won't graduate with your platoon. My understanding was Oswald was a marksmen. Never achieved sharpshooter or expert that requires a 210 or better out of a possible 250. That being said, there are a hell of a lot of recruits who do achieve sharpshooter or expert in qualifications. Don't make Oswald something he wasn't. Like I said there are tens of thousands sharpshooters and experts. Even back in 1963, fake news would like you to believe Oswald was some expert which he never was. Average recruit, nothing more. Anyone in the business would buy an M1 Gerand or M1 carbine back in those days. Not some piece of garbage like a Carcano with a BB gun telescopic sight. Also remember Oswald was discharged as a hardship case, later changed to a dishonorable discharge. No help forthcoming from Gov. Connally to reverse it. I wonder sometimes if Kennedy was his intended victim. In any event, I take the middle road. Not a LN or CT in this case.
BB

fake news would like you to believe Oswald was some expert which he never was. Average recruit, nothing more.

Right on the Bullseye!......  And as you well know Bruce.....The M-1 Garand was a totally different (and superior) rifle when compared to the old bolt action Carcano.  Simply because a GI qualified as Marksman with an excellent rifle ( the Garand) in no way means that he was equally qualified with any other rifle.

The government (LBJ  & Hoover) generated fake news, lead suckers like Chappy into believing that a tale that is as absurd as believing that  pigs can fly....     
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 02:59:49 PM by Walt Cakebread »

Offline Tim Nickerson

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
My understanding was Oswald was a marksmen. Never achieved sharpshooter or expert that requires a 210 or better out of a possible 250.

Your understanding was wrong.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2018, 06:05:48 PM »
Matt,
Who can prove Oswald was even using that cheap 4x18 scope mounted on the Carano rifle? There is no reason why he could not have used the rifle's iron sights. Faster performance and certainly capable of the accuracy at that distance. I used the same powered scope many times and it's cumbersome and time consuming to use. Now, if Oswald was a shooter on the sixth floor, and did use the scope, you usually have to zero in the scope by making the first shot a test shot to see where the bullet goes. Hence, the tree limb, the overhead sign post, or the concrete curbing on the south side of Elm Street. You don't buy a scoped mail order rifle and commence firing it with that accuracy as shown with General Walker and then Kennedy. He would have to had used and practiced with it once in a while somewhere. I recall his USMC qualification was only marksmen. Could it have been done? Sure. But I don't think we know the full facts, and never will.
BB

The Marines had three qualifications for rifle proficiency: Marksman (190 to 209 points), Sharpshooter (210 to 219 points) and Expert (220 to 250 points). In December of 1956, Oswald scored 212 points on a test...two points over the "Sharpshooter" minimum and eight points short of "expert." In earning that score, he hit 48 of 50, then 49 of 50, in shots taken at a target 200 yards away. Later, in 1959, he qualified as a "Marksman."

---------------------------------------

Would you be willing to take JFK's seat in a reenactment with an Oswald- level shooter firing live rounds at you?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:13:10 PM by Bill Chapman »