Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
Howard Gee, Bill Chapman, Mitch Todd and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.

Author Topic: Why did Oswald go to the movies?  (Read 25508 times)

Offline John Iacoletti

Re: Why did Oswald go to the movies?
« Reply #430 on: September 05, 2018, 12:16:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't agree Paul. Oswald was emboldened by the fact that he fired at General Walker (and missed) in April 1963 and the Dallas Police never had a clue (literally) who was the shooter.

Lee Oswald probably estimated he could kill President Kennedy with one shot. In that event, nobody may have witnessed the shooter and his location. Unexpectedly he took three. Keep in mind that Oswald hurried down the back stairs of the TSBD... presumably intending to go out the back door near the loading dock. It may seem logical to you and me that we'd have no chance of escape after killing the President in broad daylight: Not Oswald. After he shot and killed Officer J.D. Tippit he muttered: "Poor dumb cop". An arrogant individual like Lee Harvey Oswald would likely think: "I'll get away with the crime of the century". Alternately, I'll lead the cops on a merry chase until they catch me. He was "playing it by ear" up to and until he went into the Texas Theater.

To answer the question posed by the subject of this debate: Oswald did not go to the movies (an entertainment). Oswald went to the theater (a building) to hide from his pursuers.

It's fascinating the way people make up a narrative, attach the word "probably" to it and act like that's what actually happened.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #430 on: September 05, 2018, 12:16:11 AM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #431 on: September 05, 2018, 12:18:30 AM »
`You lot`... who would that be? Be precise!

That's Chapman's way of arguing with you about something that you didn't actually say.

Online Ross Lidell

• JFK : Profile In Courage
« Reply #432 on: September 05, 2018, 12:47:10 AM »
A more interesting question. Two questions actually... now that I think about it:

-- Why didn't Oswald go directly to the movies (Texas Theater) after leaving the TSBD rather than going home first?

-- Why did Oswald take a revolver to the movies (Texas Theater)?

Offline Anthony Clayden

« Reply #433 on: September 05, 2018, 01:09:32 AM »

-- Why didn't Oswald go directly to the movies (Texas Theater) after leaving the TSBD rather than going home first?

Obvious answer based on his actual actions is that he wanted to get changed out of dusty\dirty work clothes into more casual clothes. He went to the boarding house got changed and then went out, seems like a normal set of actions.

LN Answer - As the shooter, he wanted to use it to avoid arrest, like he did at the Tippet scene.
CT Answer - 1) He had worked out that he had been set up, and was scared or 2) He was just being a lad and carrying a gun made him feel more macho. or 3) It wasn't his

I've always wondered why not take it in the morning, when he was going to do the actual shooting.

Online Bill Chapman

« Reply #434 on: September 05, 2018, 01:22:52 AM »
`You lot`... who would that be? Be precise!

I thought you lot said he was going to a movie

Some people do indeed say that.

Guess he thought the theatre was on a 'go nowhere' street

I imagine the same people who say Oswald went to a movie also say he was not at 10th/Patton.

But okay, sure, Martin... he was just 'out for a walk'

Since he had no obvious purpose to be at 10th street, do you have any idea what he was doing there?

It seems a pretty silly thing to do, walking down a 'go nowhere' street just after having killed the President, don't you think?

Actually, only some people claim he want to see a movie. Others believe he went there for a meeting with his CIA handler

He had a CIA handler?
Oh, yeah a lot of people say that, don't they Martin...

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #434 on: September 05, 2018, 01:22:52 AM »

Online Ross Lidell

« Reply #435 on: September 05, 2018, 01:51:52 AM »

Obvious answer based on his actual actions is that he wanted to get changed out of dusty\dirty work clothes into more casual clothes. He went to the boarding house got changed and then went out, seems like a normal set of actions.

LN Answer - As the shooter, he wanted to use it to avoid arrest, like he did at the Tippet scene.
CT Answer - 1) He had worked out that he had been set up, and was scared or 2) He was just being a lad and carrying a gun made him feel more macho. or 3) It wasn't his

I've always wondered why not take it in the morning, when he was going to do the actual shooting.

Perhaps Lee Harvey Oswald considered the possibility of law-enforcement checking everyone who entered the TSBD. Lee would not like to be found to have a rifle "and" a hand-gun in a building on the President's motorcade route?

Oswald could have contemplated the possibility of being stopped from leaving the TSBD after he shot President Kennedy. If not for Truly vouching for Oswald, Officer Baker would have searched him.

It seems to me that Oswald carrying a revolver in the TSBD Friday morning would have been risky. He was shrewd enough to know that.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #436 on: September 05, 2018, 02:05:15 AM »
Perhaps Lee Harvey Oswald considered the possibility of law-enforcement checking everyone who entered the TSBD. Lee would not like to be found to have a rifle "and" a hand-gun in a building on the President's motorcade route?

Oswald could have contemplated the possibility of being stopped from leaving the TSBD after he shot President Kennedy. If not for Truly vouching for Oswald, Officer Baker would have searched him.

It seems to me that Oswald carrying a revolver in the TSBD Friday morning would have been risky. He was shrewd enough to know that.

So it wouldn't have mattered to Oswald if he was checked carrying only a rifle. It would only be a problem if he had a rifle and a revolver. Is that really what you are saying?

How in the world would you even know what Baker would have done without the intervention of Truly?

And your logic seems contradictory. The purpose for carrying the revolver would be to defend himself against arrest, right? Yet you seem to claim that he didn't take the revolver to the TSBD because of the possibility of being stopped from leaving the TSBD. But isn't possibly being stopped the main reason for taking a revolver to aid him to get away?

It seems to me that Oswald carrying a revolver in the TSBD Friday morning would have been risky.

More risky than carrying a rifle?

He was shrewd enough to know that.

How do you know this? Did you know him personally?

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #437 on: September 05, 2018, 02:06:21 AM »

He had a CIA handler?
Oh, yeah a lot of people say that, don't they Martin...

Yes... a lot of people probably say that

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #437 on: September 05, 2018, 02:06:21 AM »

Online Ross Lidell

« Reply #438 on: September 05, 2018, 02:14:28 AM »
It's fascinating the way people make up a narrative, attach the word "probably" to it and act like that's what actually happened.
John,

I (or anyone else) cannot read Oswald's mind with certainty. It's a possibility that Oswald (or any other shooter) might plan to shoot President Kennedy with one shot. Criminals are by nature optimistic about committing crimes successfully and not being apprehended.

I was conveying to Paul May my opinion; not making up a narrative to deceive. It's more honest to say "probably" than not. Perhaps you should use that "adverb" occasionally, John.

Online Howard Gee

« Reply #439 on: September 05, 2018, 02:21:50 AM »
Saint Patsy went to the movies because there was nothing of interest occurring that day.

He was bored and had a sudden craving for a bucket of buttered popcorn.

Throw in the added benefit of being able to window shop for shoes en route to the theater and it's a no-brainer.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #439 on: September 05, 2018, 02:21:50 AM »