Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Roger Craig  (Read 16584 times)

Offline John Iacoletti

Re: Roger Craig
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2023, 03:15:46 PM »
Advertisement
??
They were in the room with the rifle.
I am unaware that those who made the initial claim about a Mauser had examined the rifle properly.

No, but those who are squinting at poor quality film footage are declaring things like "the rifle Day pulls up from the boxes is no doubt a Mannlicher Carcano".

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2023, 03:15:46 PM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2023, 05:33:39 PM »
No, but those who are squinting at poor quality film footage are declaring things like "the rifle Day pulls up from the boxes is no doubt a Mannlicher Carcano".

Not this bullsh%t again?  ::)
Here's some close-ups of the rifle in the Alyea film courtesy of DVP.
Your bizarre implication, that there is not enough detail in the imagery to be certain whether it's an MC or not, is just that - bizarre.
Get squinting -

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2023, 08:30:26 PM »
Not this bullsh%t again.

How do these "closeups" tell you that this is "no doubt" a Mannlicher Carcano?  I mean, beyond you think it looks like one?

I mean, Weitzman thought it looked like a Mauser.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 08:32:33 PM by John Iacoletti »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2023, 08:30:26 PM »

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2023, 01:35:33 AM »
Not this bullsh%t again.

How do these "closeups" tell you that this is "no doubt" a Mannlicher Carcano?  I mean, beyond you think it looks like one?

You can tell that the Alyea rifle is a Carcano just by the magazine housing extending underneath the forestock. Carcanos are one of the few bolt action rifles where the magazine housing and trigger guard are integrated into a single visible unit. Carcanos are easily distinguished from other rifles with that same feature by the profile of the magazine housing. The Aylea film rifle has just that profile. In the film, you can also see the funky thumb-tab  for the  odd push-push safety that is unique to Salvatore Carcano designs. If you take the time to learn about vintage rifles, there's no question as to what it is.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2023, 03:50:04 AM »
Thanks.  Just so we're clear though:  "one of the few" means there are others, right?  Like the Nagant, or Enfield, or M95, or 35M.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2023, 03:50:04 AM »

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2023, 04:17:51 AM »
Thanks.  Just so we're clear though:  "one of the few" means there are others, right?  Like the Nagant, or Enfield, or M95, or 35M.
Lee Enfields have a box magazine that's separate from the trigger guard. Nagants have vertical ridges that run up the side of the magazine housing, plus there's a noticeable step from the side of the magazine housing to the side of the trigger guard. Steyr-Mannlicher M95s have a pronounced rebated curve between the bottom of the magazine proper and the trigger guard.  Der Gewehr 88 "commission rifle" is probably the closest (and probably not by accident), but has a different, more tapered profile, and there are very pronounced flanges that run along the bottom of the magazine housing. 

Offline Jack Nessan

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2023, 06:00:32 AM »
Do not forget the 1891 Argentine Mauser which very closely resembles the 1891 Carcano. The Argentine Mauser is a 7.65 caliber vs the 6.5 caliber Carcano. The 6.5 vs 7.65 stampings is maybe what caught his eye.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2023, 06:00:32 AM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2023, 10:10:52 AM »
Not this bullsh%t again.

Note the deceptive shift in emphasis.
Originally the problem was the quality of the film - "those who are squinting at poor quality film footage".
So, I posted clear images from the Alyea film and all of a sudden the problem is with "closeups".
That constant slipping and sliding I know so well.

Rather than your constant snide and baseless comments that never really go anywhere why not post a picture of a rifle that isn't a Carcano but which is indistinguishable from the rifle in the Alyea footage.
Why don't you actually demonstrate that the quality of the film isn't good enough to make such a comparison.
{I Love doing this to you because I know you will do f^ck all about it other than try a sneak out of it}

How sneaky you are.
I shouldn't have to point out that Weitzman thought it looked like a Mauser "in a glance" but we get to examine clear pictures, from various angles, of the rifle discovered on the sixth floor. We get to examine it for as long as we wish and in as much detail as we wish.
I know you know the difference but you just can't help yourself, can you?

Below is a picture of a 7.65 Mauser. It's the closest version to the Carcano I can find. If anyone can dig out a closer match please do.
The differences between the two rifles are too many to get into. They are clearly not the same rifle and any claims that the Alyea footage is not clear enough to make such a comparison are bogus.

You're a very slippery customer, John, but you forget how many times I've already dealt with you.