Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Roger Craig  (Read 16602 times)

Offline Duncan MacRae

• Administrator
    • JFK Assassination Photographs
Roger Craig
« on: October 26, 2023, 11:40:09 AM »
Advertisement

JFK Assassination Forum

Roger Craig
« on: October 26, 2023, 11:40:09 AM »

Online Dan O'meara

Re: Roger Craig
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 10:12:58 AM »
When I watch this interview I really want Craig to be telling the truth.
He seems like a completely decent, stand up, straight-talking guy.
A quiet type who gets on with things in an honest and humble way.
But then he starts talking about the discovery of the rifle. He describes in detail exactly what we see in the Tom Alyea film of the rifle's discovery - the rifle is photographed in situ, Day picks it up, hands it to Fritz who has hold of it by the strap.
In Alyea, the rifle is a Mannlicer Carcano, there is zero doubt about that. But Craig insists he sees "Mauser" stamped on the barrel. And that is impossible.
By the time of this interview he must surely be aware of the Alyea footage.
I just don't understand why he would lie about it.

Note - As Fritz steps into the enclosure at the beginning of the clip we can see Craig on the other side of the boxes, so we know he was really there at that moment.

Offline Michael Welch

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 11:25:01 PM »
When I watch this interview I really want Craig to be telling the truth.
He seems like a completely decent, stand up, straight-talking guy.
A quiet type who gets on with things in an honest and humble way.
But then he starts talking about the discovery of the rifle. He describes in detail exactly what we see in the Tom Alyea film of the rifle's discovery - the rifle is photographed in situ, Day picks it up, hands it to Fritz who has hold of it by the strap.
In Alyea, the rifle is a Mannlicer Carcano, there is zero doubt about that. But Craig insists he sees "Mauser" stamped on the barrel. And that is impossible.
By the time of this interview he must surely be aware of the Alyea footage.
I just don't understand why he would lie about it.

Note - As Fritz steps into the enclosure at the beginning of the clip we can see Craig on the other side of the boxes, so we know he was really there at that moment.

Hi Dan, You could also ask why did so many think it was a 7.65 Mauser? Thank you for everything! Sincerely yours, Michael

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 11:25:01 PM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 09:38:45 AM »
Hi Dan, You could also ask why did so many think it was a 7.65 Mauser? Thank you for everything! Sincerely yours, Michael

It was just a first impression made by guys who never examined the rifle properly.
The Tom Alyea film captures the moment the rifle is lifted from its hiding place. It's a Mannlicher Carcano, that's not up for dispute.
The rumour about the Mauser spread like wildfire because everyone was being constantly pressed for any kind of information.
The thing that I don't get is that Craig describes what we see in the Tom Alyea film in great detail.
There can be no doubt he is talking about the moment Alyea captured on film.
So why would he insist it was a Mauser when it was clearly a Mannlicher Carcano?
It would be interesting to hear some non-Tinfoil speculation on this.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 02:14:18 PM »
It was just a first impression made by guys who never examined the rifle properly.
The Tom Alyea film captures the moment the rifle is lifted from its hiding place. It's a Mannlicher Carcano, that's not up for dispute.
The rumour about the Mauser spread like wildfire because everyone was being constantly pressed for any kind of information.
The thing that I don't get is that Craig describes what we see in the Tom Alyea film in great detail.
So why would he insist it was a Mauser when it was clearly a Mannlicher Carcano?

Some people believe what they want to believe (despite the evidence that indicates otherwise). This phenomenon is not uncommon. There are a lot of people who believe there was a conspiracy (despite no credible evidence of one, after almost 60-years of trying to dream up some evidence).

”The deepest sin against the human mind is to believe things without evidence.”  Aldous Huxley

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 02:14:18 PM »

Online Royell Storing

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 03:35:30 PM »

Some people believe what they want to believe (despite the evidence that indicates otherwise). This phenomenon is not uncommon. There are a lot of people who believe there was a conspiracy (despite no credible evidence of one, after almost 60-years of trying to dream up some evidence).

”The deepest sin against the human mind is to believe things without evidence.”  Aldous Huxley

HSCA sealed the testimony of White House Photog Robert Knudsen and his seeing photo(s) of probes in the body of JFK running FRONT-TO-BACK. This was uncovered by the ARRB. That's Fact and Conspiracy after-the-fact. Stop with the  BS:

Offline Billy Carr

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 11:43:28 AM »
I have notes that say Craig died of a suicide, with a rifle shot to the chest.

Anyway, Alyea is an interesting witness, as is Roger Craig, which I will get to in a bit. Let's see what Alyea says about the rifle and shells.

Tom Alyea (WFAA-TV) claimed that he was the first one to discover the three shells "in an area that could have been covered by a bushel basket," and filmed them without being able to use his eyepiece due to the height of the box barricade. He then asked Capt. Fritz, standing beside him, to go behind the barricade and film. Instead, Capt. Fritz went inside the barricade, picked them up, and held them for Alyea to film. Fritz most likely pocketed the shells, which came in handy later.

"Over thirty minutes later, after the rifle was discovered and the crime lab arrived, Capt. Fritz reached into his pocket and handed the casings to Det. Studebaker to include in the photographs he would take of the sniper's nest crime scene. Studebaker never saw the original placement of the casings so he tossed them on the floor and photographed them."

Alyea further stated that all subsequent pictures of the shells and box positions were mock-ups. His testimony contradicts every officer on the scene in fact.

To wit:
  • Fritz handled the hulls before the official photographer arrived (backed up by Mooney), Alyea found the shells, and Lt. Day lifted prints from Oswald’s rifle (confirmed by Day).
    Fritz pocketed the live round he ejected (not Day and Sims), and his testimony about the chicken bones is astounding.
  • Alyea said that the chicken was not there and that the initial report was from WFAA-TV, and it was in error.
  • As for the rifle find, Alyea says that the sixth floor sniper’s nest and shells had been found, but nothing else there. So they all took an elevator on Fritz’s orders to the 7th floor and the roof.
  • Upon returning to the 6th, Alyea says that is when Dep. Boone found the rifle.
  • He says Dep. Mooney came to the floor after the discovery of the rifle.
For the photos of the shells, Alyea said: "Neither Lt. Day nor Det. Studebaker had seen the original placement, so they procured my film from the TV station to get it right. The high angle shot (shots) were made to show the original placement. Their reconstruction was close, but not exact. However, they did not bring the casings with them so they did not make the correction of the original placement of the shell casings."

Alyea’s first reel of footage of the scene containing the search and the discovery of the shells, was passed out of the front door of the TSBD to another reporter. A second reel was passed out a window to a waiting reporter, and it was developed and shown on WFAA-TV later that day. In the second reel, you can see a plainclothes detective wielding a "riot" shotgun or possibly a rifle, lots of people searching on top of boxes, the hidden Carcano rifle, and the moment Lt. Day extracts the rifle and shows it to Capt. Fritz.

Alyea claims that everyone waited 15 minutes for Lt. Day and Det. Studebaker to photograph and extract the weapon as of course the famous Alyea footage shows. He indicates that the discovery of the rifle was about an hour after the shells were found, and that they had just heard the news of the President’s death. Day immediately dusted the rifle and lifted some prints. Lt. Day went to the crime lab at City Hall, leaving Studebaker to take care of the photos of the shells and the dusting of the Dr Pepper bottle. (And subsequently, the paper sack.)

The Dr Pepper bottle and the chicken bones were brought up from the 5th floor. Alyea says that all of the reports of Lt. Day being on the 6th floor prior to the rifle discovery are lies (and collusion) to protect Capt. Fritz. He says that Day had to wait on the 1st floor until the 6th floor had been secured or the gunman found.

Alyea says that Lt. Day returned to the 6th floor after he had locked away the rifle to continue his evidence gathering. Alyea’s timeline covers the fact that flashlights were needed to conduct a thorough search of the poorly-lit book warehouse. He remembers Capt. Fritz being impatient, and that it was with the help of the flashlights that made discovery of the rifle possible a few minutes after they arrived in a place that had already been searched.

(See THE SNIPER'S NEST: INCARNATIONS AND IMPLICATIONS by Allan Eaglesham) https://manuscriptservice.com/SN/officialsn.htm

I am wondering how much of Alyea's yarn is believed? Like his film of the shells in Captain Fritz's hand and the original location of them, some of his testimony may end up on the cutting room floor.

One final thing. Rumor alert: I thought Alyea stated that the film of the extraction of the rifle was a re-enactment. I can't find the source of that right now.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 11:43:28 AM »

Offline Billy Carr

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 12:46:38 PM »

1. LN: The old dudes inspecting the rifle, as shown in the Alyea film, may have needed their reading glasses on, and made some wrong assessments. (Day & Fritz of course)
2. CT: The DPD was said to have "brought out rifles" from the homicide car "to assist them in securing the building." Quote from none other than Sheriff Bill Decker. But obviously no one has offered any way for this guarded rifle location to have been infiltrated by a rifle-switcher.
3. CT/Undecided: There are three witnesses of a Mauser 7.65 mm rifle. But ... they all seem to be relying on what appears to be questionable authority, with Craig being the outlier. Or, they are all untouched by the conspiracy/corruption of the DPD.

Mauser men:
1. Deputy Constable Seymour Weitzman (Dallas County Constable Robie Love office)
2. Deputy Eugene L. Boone (DCS). He testified that good ole' Capt. Fritz said it looked like a 7.65 mm Mauser. See #1, above above. (Fritz and Day vehemently denied this.)
3. Dep. Roger Craig (DCS) – partner of Ralph Walters (some researcher may have asked him at some point?)

See also, WH10 - Howard Price testimony.

Also, I don't think foil has been made of tin for the better part of a century.