JFK Assassination Discussion & Debate > JFK Assassination Discussion & Debate

Sixty one years ago today

(1/1)

Charles Collins:
On October 22, 1962 JFK spoke to the American public (and the world) and announced the presence of offensive nuclear missiles being installed by the Soviet Union on the island of Cuba. I was nine years old but do remember his speech on TV. Here is a snip out of “The Kennedy Detail” by Gerald Blaine that demonstrates to me some of what JFK was thinking during the crises. This took place immediately after the televised Cuban Missile speech:

Inside the Situation Room, where the red phone with a direct line to Moscow sat conspicuously beneath the projected map of Cuba, the ExComm members stood as President Kennedy walked into the room. Blaine closed the door and waited outside, where all he could hear was the sound of muffled voices.
 The briefing was short, and when the president walked out a few minutes later, Blaine again followed him into the elevator.
 As soon as the doors closed, President Kennedy turned to Blaine and said, “You know, Jerry, we’re in a bit of a pickle.”
 Blaine didn’t know what to say. The world was on the verge of nuclear war. What could you say to the man who held the balance in his hands?
 “Yes, sir,” Blaine replied. “I know.”
 “Now, you know that if anything happens, you’re coming with me.”
 “Yes, Mr. President. Of course.” If it appeared that the Soviets were going to fire the nuclear missiles, Blaine and the rest of the Kennedy Detail agents would move swiftly with the president to a safe and undisclosed location. That was understood. Blaine didn’t understand what Kennedy was getting at.
Kennedy looked directly into Blaine’s eyes. There was intensity, yet concern, in the president’s gaze. Blaine had never communicated with the president on a matter of state with such dire implications.
 “Have you thought about what your family will do?” President Kennedy asked. “You need to be prepared.”
 The elevator stopped, and in the moment before the doors slid open, Blaine realized what President Kennedy was trying to tell him. “Thank you, sir. I understand.”
 At home that night, Jerry slept fitfully as he wrestled over the very real possibility that he would be in a safe bunker with the president while Joyce and one-year-old Kelly could be exposed to a nuclear attack. He wanted desperately to talk to Joyce about it, but he couldn’t. To divulge something of this magnitude would be breaking the Secret Service code.

It would please me if this year, the sixtieth anniversary of the assassination, we could have some discussions about JFK and what he meant to the people of the world. The unforgettable televised coverage of his funeral that took place in Washington DC stands out to me as being quite a statement of the world’s sense of loss and grief.

Michael Walton:
Kennedy was the "hope for the future." Young, rich, a hot wife. Very well spoken, articulate. Then, just like that, it was all over - the funeral and so on. And then the U.S. took a turn for the worst with Vietnam, MLK and RFK's murders, and Watergate.

Michael Welch:
President Kennedy had the world on the path to peace. His use of words was the best out of all the presidents including Lincoln. Sincerely yours, Michael
credit: David Von Pein's site
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTu_TL9INUI

Charles Collins:

--- Quote from: Michael Welch on October 28, 2023, 07:21:06 PM ---President Kennedy had the world on the path to peace. His use of words was the best out of all the presidents including Lincoln. Sincerely yours, Michael
credit: David Von Pein's site
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTu_TL9INUI
--- End quote ---

JFK was a genuinely good person who loved others (as we all should aspire to be). Here’s a passage from “The Kennedy Detail” by Gerald Blaine that touched me. It concerns one of the SS agents (Andy Berger):

Andy took a deep breath and looked around the lobby. He remembered the last time he had been in a hospital, in September, when his son Andrew was born. Andy was in Hyannis Port with the president when his wife, Dolly, went into early labor, in New York. Their son was born with the same respiratory ailment that had caused the death of the president’s newborn son a month earlier. The heartbreaking memories of the president sobbing heavily on the day of Patrick’s burial at Brookline Cemetery were still fresh in Agent Berger’s mind when Dolly had called him. Her cries were painful to hear over the phone. As with Patrick, the chances for Andrew’s survival were slim. When President Kennedy was told about the situation, he immediately arranged for a military aircraft to fly Andy to New York to be with his wife and son at the hospital. By the time Andy arrived, the baby’s condition had improved, and miraculously, Andrew survived. A few weeks later, while working the 4:00 to midnight shift at the White House, Andy was informed that the president wanted to see him. “My son didn’t make it,” President Kennedy said to Andy, “but your son did.” He handed Andy an etching of the White House that was engraved for his son: “Andrew Paul Berger from the President and Mrs. Kennedy.” Now Andy thought about Caroline and John-John growing up without their dad. It was too much. He fought to hold back the tears.

Michael Welch:

--- Quote from: Charles Collins on October 28, 2023, 08:38:02 PM ---JFK was a genuinely good person who loved others (as we all should aspire to be). Here’s a passage from “The Kennedy Detail” by Gerald Blaine that touched me. It concerns one of the SS agents (Andy Berger):

Andy took a deep breath and looked around the lobby. He remembered the last time he had been in a hospital, in September, when his son Andrew was born. Andy was in Hyannis Port with the president when his wife, Dolly, went into early labor, in New York. Their son was born with the same respiratory ailment that had caused the death of the president’s newborn son a month earlier. The heartbreaking memories of the president sobbing heavily on the day of Patrick’s burial at Brookline Cemetery were still fresh in Agent Berger’s mind when Dolly had called him. Her cries were painful to hear over the phone. As with Patrick, the chances for Andrew’s survival were slim. When President Kennedy was told about the situation, he immediately arranged for a military aircraft to fly Andy to New York to be with his wife and son at the hospital. By the time Andy arrived, the baby’s condition had improved, and miraculously, Andrew survived. A few weeks later, while working the 4:00 to midnight shift at the White House, Andy was informed that the president wanted to see him. “My son didn’t make it,” President Kennedy said to Andy, “but your son did.” He handed Andy an etching of the White House that was engraved for his son: “Andrew Paul Berger from the President and Mrs. Kennedy.” Now Andy thought about Caroline and John-John growing up without their dad. It was too much. He fought to hold back the tears.

--- End quote ---

Hi Charles, I hope that you are doing well! There are countless stories of President Kennedy talking to some young person and really influencing their entire life, and not only with the Peace Corps. He was an amazing person! Thank you for everything! Sincerely yours, Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version