Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: SS Agent Paul Landis speaks out... finally, about Magic Bullet.  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Jake Maxwell

SS Agent Paul Landis speaks out... finally, about Magic Bullet.
« on: September 12, 2023, 07:34:19 PM »
Advertisement
Paul Landis, an 88-year-old former Secret Service agent, was just a few feet away from when President Kennedy was shot and killed in Dallas, Texas. At the time, he was assigned to protect Jackie Kennedy, the former first lady.

Mr. Landis, in a recent interview with the New York Times, cast doubt on the government-backed Warren Commission's finding that a "magic bullet" struck and exited the president before it struck then-Texas Gov. John Connally Jr., a theory that has been the subject of criticism for decades and has helped fuel a range alternative theories about the former president's assassination. Officially, the U.S. government and Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has maintained that a lone gunman—Lee Harvey Oswald—was the sole perpetrator.....

In the interview with the paper, published on Sept. 9, Mr. Landis recalled hearing multiple gunshots at Dealy Plaza in Dallas as he went behind President Kennedy's limousine, seeing the president moving forward after being shot in the head. After the assassination, Mr. Landis recalled picking up what he called a near-perfect-condition bullet from the back seat of President Kennedy's limousine, near where the president had been sitting.

The former agent then transported the bullet to the hospital where President Kennedy was taken and put on a stretcher to be examined. The reason why he took it is because he believed someone might pocket the bullet, which he did not describe in detail, as a keepsake....

Explaining why he hasn't spoken out for 60 years, the former agent said, “I didn’t want to talk about it." He left the Secret Service months after the assassination. “I was afraid. I started to think, did I do something wrong? There was a fear that I might have done something wrong and I shouldn’t talk about it," he said.

Historian James Robenalt, who helped work on Mr. Landis's forthcoming memoir, said his eyewitness account raised the possibility of there being more than one gunman.

“If the bullet we know as the magic or pristine bullet stopped in President Kennedy’s back, it means that the central thesis of the Warren Report, the single-bullet theory, is wrong," he told the NY Times....

“The FBI recreation suggests that Oswald would not have had enough time to get off two separate shots so quickly as to hit Connally after wounding the president in the back," he wrote. Mr. Oswald, according to officials, had used a bolt-action Carcano Model 38 infantry carbine.

Referring to his memoir, meanwhile, Mr. Landis said that "there’s no goal at this point. I just think it had been long enough that I needed to tell my story."

[From The Epoch Times]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 07:40:54 PM by Jake Maxwell »

JFK Assassination Forum

SS Agent Paul Landis speaks out... finally, about Magic Bullet.
« on: September 12, 2023, 07:34:19 PM »

Offline Steve Barber

Re: SS Agent Paul Landis speaks out... finally, about Magic Bullet.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 02:44:15 PM »

Only a fool would believe what Paul Landis claims he found in the SS-100-X.   He found nothing of the sort.  He has a book to sell, and since he did nothing remarkable that day--not even attempting to save the life of President Kennedy--he pulls a stunt like this to try to sell his book. 

Online Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 03:28:01 PM »

Only a fool would believe what Paul Landis claims he found in the SS-100-X.   He found nothing of the sort.  He has a book to sell, and since he did nothing remarkable that day--not even attempting to save the life of President Kennedy--he pulls a stunt like this to try to sell his book.
Landis did a 6th Floor Museum interview as recently as 2016. He said this about his acts at Parkland:

"....and there was a little delay there because we had to [get] Governor Connally out. I was not aware that he had been shot at that time, and Mrs. Connally, and then the President, and then finally Clint walked through with Mrs. Kennedy and  I had stepped into the limo also and I saw there was a bloody cigarette lighter on the seat and a bouquet of roses and her hat. And I picked up her hat and the lighter and we left the limo, and I followed them to the hospital."

Not a thing about a bullet, a bullet fragment or anything related to a bullet.

The full interview is here: https://emuseum.jfk.org/objects/47223/paul-landis-oral-history

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 03:28:01 PM »

Offline Andrew Mason

• SPMLaw
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 06:20:46 PM »

It is conceivable that he found CE399 and recalled placing it on a stretcher.  But it is not conceivable that the bullet he claims he found was a bullet other than CE399.  His description fits CE399 but the wounds, including Tague's, and car damage do not permit two bullets looking like CE399.  If a separate bullet struck JBC in the back it would have been moving too fast to show no nose damage and come out looking anything like CE399.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 06:37:34 PM »
Landis did a 6th Floor Museum interview as recently as 2016. He said this about his acts at Parkland:

"....and there was a little delay there because we had to [get] Governor Connally out. I was not aware that he had been shot at that time, and Mrs. Connally, and then the President, and then finally Clint walked through with Mrs. Kennedy and  I had stepped into the limo also and I saw there was a bloody cigarette lighter on the seat and a bouquet of roses and her hat. And I picked up her hat and the lighter and we left the limo, and I followed them to the hospital."

Not a thing about a bullet, a bullet fragment or anything related to a bullet.

The full interview is here: https://emuseum.jfk.org/objects/47223/paul-landis-oral-history

Thanks for the link to the Landis interview. That is one of the best ones I have seen. It answers my question about whether or not Landis ever entered trauma room one. He said he did but left after a doctor asked for people who were not needed for medical reasons to leave the room. Stephen Fagin is a very good interviewer. Thanks to him and the Sixth Floor Museum for all that they do.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 06:37:34 PM »

Online Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 06:42:59 PM »

Thanks for the link to the Landis interview. That is one of the best ones I have seen. It answers my question about whether or not Landis ever entered trauma room one. He said he did but left after a doctor asked for people who were not needed for medical reasons to leave the room. Stephen Fagin is a very good interviewer. Thanks to him and the Sixth Floor Museum for all that they do.
Given the behavior of the other agents - FBI, DPD and SS - it's not entirely inconceivable that he would put the bullet back on the stretcher. But "not entirely" covers a lot of ground. However, if we combine this supposed act with the 60 years of him, in several interviews where he details what he did, not mentioning it, it's essentially for me a worthless claim.

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 07:07:29 PM »
Given the behavior of the other agents - FBI, DPD and SS - it's not entirely inconceivable that he would put the bullet back on the stretcher. But "not entirely" covers a lot of ground. However, if we combine this supposed act with the 60 years of him, in several interviews where he details what he did, not mentioning it, it's essentially for me a worthless claim.

Landis first mentioned finding a "bullet fragment" on the rear seat of the limo to the AP in 1983, 40 years ago:

"Landis said that when he got to the Kennedy limousine outside the hospital, the president had already been taken inside, but he helped Mrs. Kennedy out. He said there was a bullet fragment on the top of the back seat that he picked up and gave to somebody."

...in 2014, after reading Josiah “Tink” Thompson’s 1967 book, Six Seconds in Dallas, and seeing for the first time the “official” explanation that a whole bullet had been found on Connally’s stretcher, he realized that, no, that was actually the bullet he had found in Kennedy’s limousine, and that he shouldn’t remain silent any longer.

https://whowhatwhy.org/culture/newest-jfk-twist-agents-explosive-story-conflicts-with-forgotten-earlier-one/

The guy who helped him write his memoir says Landis was misquoted the previous times that his account of a "bullet fragment" was mentioned.

I expect that a Secret Service agent should know the difference between a bullet and a bullet fragment. So if he wasn't misquoted, that's a problem.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 07:13:17 PM by Jon Banks »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 07:07:29 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 07:10:12 PM »

Even if someone could somehow begin to believe his claim (I cannot), the physics (ballistics, etc) of how it ended up on top of the back seat of the limo would need to be explained. Along with an explanation as to how the bullet got flattened on one side near the base…