Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Time for Truth  (Read 34450 times)

Offline Alan Ford

Re: Time for Truth
« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2023, 11:38:31 PM »
Advertisement
Dale Myers book.  He interviewed Hamby.

From With Malice:

"Hamby’s choice of clothing that day — a gray sweater and gray slacks — was about to propel the young student into a near fatal encounter."

And there we have it. Mr. Hamby's clothing being close enough to the suspect description was what gave Patrolman Walker due cause to think he was the man.

And boy were they sure:

Dispatcher:           221.
221 [Summers]:   Might can give you some additional information, I got an eyeball witness to the getaway man that — ah — suspect in this shooting. He’s a
                                white male, 27, 5 feet 11, 165, black wavy hair, fair complected, wearing a light gray Eisenhower-type jacket, dark trousers and a
                                white shirt. And — ah — about — last seen — ah — running on the north side of the street from — ah —
                                Patton, on Jefferson, on East Jefferson. And he was apparently armed with a 32 dark finish automatic — ah — pistol, which he had in his right
                                hand.
Dispatcher:           10-4. For your information, 221, they have the the suspect cornered in the library at Marsalis and Jefferson.
221:                     10-4. This man can positively identify him if — they need him.
Dispatcher:            Well, they do have the suspect under arrest now.

Which brings us back to the problem with Mr. Brewer's story. A man in a brown shirt was way off the suspect description ("white shirt"). And yet we're supposed to believe there was due cause for the police to conclude that "the suspect" was in the Texas Theatre.

Doesn't wash.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 12:03:57 AM by Alan Ford »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2023, 11:38:31 PM »

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2023, 11:57:11 PM »
An interesting dispatch:

"There is nothing to this Marsalis [library] here. Let's go back up to the place and work to north Jefferson. We got a witness that saw him shed his jacket and check towards Tyler."

Who was this witness?

Alternative transcript of what Captain Westbrook said:

"We got a witness that seen him going north after he shed his jacket. And check from that vicinity towards Tyler."

Who was this witness?

It kind of matters because this witness will have seen what the suspect looked like after shedding his jacket. This witness would have seen the suspect with no upper garment on other than his shirt.

Now if the suspect were indeed Mr. Oswald, then we would expect Captain Westbrook to say the following:

'Suspect wearing a brown shirt."

I mean, he'd be anxious to update the description from what he now must know was an erroneous "white shirt" description. Right?

But no. As you were. Keep on looking out for a man in a white shirt.

It wasn't Mr. Oswald.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 12:13:31 AM by Alan Ford »

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2023, 03:37:52 PM »
Alternative transcript of what Captain Westbrook said:

"We got a witness that seen him going north after he shed his jacket. And check from that vicinity towards Tyler."

Who was this witness?

Mr. B. M. Patterson?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2023, 03:37:52 PM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2023, 06:39:34 PM »
I disagree. Literally nothing and nobody corroborates the early radio broadcast of the police shooting, the man in front of the shoe shop looking “funny”, or anybody turning the corner into the recessed area of the theater. Maybe if the mysterious “IBM men” could be found…
There's some confusion here which is my bad as I should have phrased it differently.
When I wrote:

"That's all I've been getting at - that there is a general trustworthiness regarding Brewer's account as it is corroborated by multiple witness accounts."

I was not trying to claim that witnesses had corroborated Brewer's account of seeing the man ducking into his store or hearing the radio broadcast or watching the man turn into the recessed area of the Texas Theater.
It was a reference to my earlier post, Reply#263, which begins:

"Brewer's basic story of seeing a man acting suspiciously on the street who he saw go into the Texas Theater and who he followed, is confirmed by a number of eye-witnesses he told this story to before Oswald was arrested."

In this post I list multiple witnesses who confirm that Brewer was telling his story of the suspicious looking man who ducked into his store and who he followed into the Texas Theater. And that he was telling this story before Oswald was arrested. So, Brewer was either telling the truth  or he had fabricated this story before he interacted with Postal, which would put Brewer at the heart of a conspiracy to frame Oswald. A conspiracy that would have Brewer having foreknowledge of the Tippit murder and the general direction the shooter would leave the scene of the shooting.

I have no problem with that.

There is Brewer's account of pointing out Oswald to police officers, confirmed by the accounts of some of the officers involved.
There can be little doubt as to Brewer's fundamental role in the capture and arrest of Oswald.
This is not to say that the suspicious looking man Brewer followed was Oswald, it may have just been a staggering coincidence that the man Brewer pointed out was also the prime suspect in the assassination of JFK.

An assumption, nonetheless. By the way, like the Burroughs account being belated, the story about having sold Oswald shoes doesn’t appear in Brewer’s affidavit or testimony.

It is strange that you say Brewer's story about having sold shoes to Oswald doesn't appear in Brewer's testimony and then a few posts later you write:

Mr. BELIN - Why did you happen to watch this particular man?
Mr. BREWER - He just looked funny to me. Well, in the first place, I had seen him some place before. I think he had been in my store before. And when you wait on somebody, you recognize them, and he just seemed funny. His hair was sort of messed up and looked like he had been running, and he looked scared, and he looked funny.

Brewer recognised Oswald as a past customer. In the inventory of Oswald's possessions there is listed a pair of shoes "John Hardy brand".
Brewer recognised the man who ducked into his store and recognised the man he pointed out to police in the cinema.
It was the same man and that man was Oswald.

Despite the fact that the description that Postal said she gave the dispatcher was nothing like the description of the guy at the Tippit scene that was broadcast. Go figure.

Postal didn’t mention any of this to the police dispatcher either.

I take it this is a tacit agreement of the point I was making - that the sole reason the police descended on the Texas Theater was Postal's call to the police. Without this call they would never have known where to find Oswald in order to frame him, if that's what happened. In her description of Oswald's suspicious behavior to the police she is obviously quoting Brewer's story about Oswald ducking into his store in order to avoid the police. This would place either Brewer or Postal or both at the heart of some convoluted conspiracy to capture Oswald. A conspiracy that would have Oswald conveniently placing himself in a location in the direction the shooter was seen fleeing the scene of the crime.

Perhaps and perhaps not. Either way, there was no probable cause to arrest Oswald for murder. The police overstepped. Not Brewer’s or Postal’s fault, but even Brewer admitted that he thought “what am I doing here?” as he approached the theater.

There can be very little doubt as to Brewer's involvement in Oswald's capture and arrest. It's not really open to question.
I do agree that there was no probable cause to arrest Oswald for murder and the police most certainly "overstepped".
There are two things that need to be addressed here.
Firstly, Oswald wasn't being arrested when McDonald went up to him, he was being checked out, just like the boy in the library was being checked out. Obviously, when he attacked the officer and pulled out a revolver (if he did), they were confident they had their man. In fact, it must be said that there seems to have been a very strange, immediate confidence among many in law enforcement that Oswald had not only killed Tippit but was also involved in the assassination.
Secondly, many people seem to find it suspicious that so many officers descended on the Texas Theater because someone had entered without buying a ticket. But it seems to me that as soon as Tippit's murder came over the radio a lot of officers dropped what they were doing and headed out to Oak Cliff. They weren't really waiting to be dispatched. When the call came in about a suspect at the library, many officers raced straight there without waiting for orders to do so.
I get the impression there was some kind of "posse" mentality going on and any report of suspicious activity was going to get the full treatment.
The people in the library were ordered out at the end of a shotgun and came out with their hands up. Where's the probable cause for that? When Brewer opened the back door he was grabbed at gunpoint and questioned. Where's the probable cause for that?
This was a posse, searching houses and alleyways, cruising the streets and responding to the slightest sign of suspicious behavior en masse.

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #324 on: September 10, 2023, 07:02:49 PM »
LOL
LOL, indeed.

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. Don't you agree?

You pushed out the "a throw-down gun that McDonald brought" without any supporting evidence. LOL

You then followed up with "Not any more LOL-worthy than “Oswald brought CE143 into the theater." Also thrown up without evidence. Also LOL

Sauce for the Goose.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #324 on: September 10, 2023, 07:02:49 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #325 on: September 10, 2023, 07:53:45 PM »
You pushed out the "a throw-down gun that McDonald brought" without any supporting evidence. LOL

I didn’t “push” it out. It’s no less plausible than the evidence-less official claim about the revolver. Which was the whole point.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #326 on: September 10, 2023, 08:17:47 PM »
I was not trying to claim that witnesses had corroborated Brewer's account of seeing the man ducking into his store or hearing the radio broadcast or watching the man turn into the recessed area of the Texas Theater.
It was a reference to my earlier post, Reply#263, which begins:

"Brewer's basic story of seeing a man acting suspiciously on the street who he saw go into the Texas Theater and who he followed, is confirmed by a number of eye-witnesses he told this story to before Oswald was arrested."

In this post I list multiple witnesses who confirm that Brewer was telling his story of the suspicious looking man who ducked into his store and who he followed into the Texas Theater. And that he was telling this story before Oswald was arrested. So, Brewer was either telling the truth  or he had fabricated this story before he interacted with Postal, which would put Brewer at the heart of a conspiracy to frame Oswald. A conspiracy that would have Brewer having foreknowledge of the Tippit murder and the general direction the shooter would leave the scene of the shooting.

Fair enough. But nobody is suggesting that Brewer fabricated the story about seeing a guy in front of his shop. That however doesn’t necessarily make the man Oswald.

This is not to say that the suspicious looking man Brewer followed was Oswald, it may have just been a staggering coincidence that the man Brewer pointed out was also the prime suspect in the assassination of JFK.

Not really. There was nothing that made him “the prime suspect” at the time. Some would say still to this day.

It is strange that you say Brewer's story about having sold shoes to Oswald doesn't appear in Brewer's testimony and then a few posts later you write:

My bad. It went from “I think he had been in my store before” in his testimony to certainty about it and the exact shoes he brought by the time Brewer talked to Griggs. Speaking of cases of improved memory…

I take it this is a tacit agreement of the point I was making - that the sole reason the police descended on the Texas Theater was Postal's call to the police. Without this call they would never have known where to find Oswald in order to frame him, if that's what happened.

I’m certainly not claiming that the police decided to frame Oswald before Postal’s call.

In her description of Oswald's suspicious behavior to the police she is obviously quoting Brewer's story about Oswald ducking into his store in order to avoid the police.

There’s nothing at all obvious about that. All we know about this call is what she said in her testimony and what went out over the police radio, neither of which mention “Oswald ducking into Brewer’s store to avoid the police”.

I do agree that there was no probable cause to arrest Oswald for murder and the police most certainly "overstepped".

Thumb1:

There are two things that need to be addressed here.
Firstly, Oswald wasn't being arrested when McDonald went up to him, he was being checked out, just like the boy in the library was being checked out.

But a search required probable cause too.

Obviously, when he attacked the officer and pulled out a revolver (if he did), they were confident they had their man. In fact, it must be said that there seems to have been a very strange, immediate confidence among many in law enforcement that Oswald had not only killed Tippit but was also involved in the assassination.

Exactly. Based on what? They didn’t even know who he was, supposedly.

I get the impression there was some kind of "posse" mentality going on and any report of suspicious activity was going to get the full treatment. The people in the library were ordered out at the end of a shotgun and came out with their hands up. Where's the probable cause for that? When Brewer opened the back door he was grabbed at gunpoint and questioned. Where's the probable cause for that?
This was a posse, searching houses and alleyways, cruising the streets and responding to the slightest sign of suspicious behavior en masse.

Agreed, there was none. The misconduct was rampant that day. I would argue that it wasn’t just that day or with that event, and that this sort of thing was business as usual for the Dallas PD. And for the DA’s office.

In fact, it’s typical of police in general. Once they decide who did it, they figure out a way to make the evidence “fit”. Even if they have to bring their own.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #326 on: September 10, 2023, 08:17:47 PM »

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #327 on: September 10, 2023, 09:51:33 PM »

Mr. BELIN - Why did you happen to watch this particular man?
Mr. BREWER - He just looked funny to me. Well, in the first place, I had seen him some place before. I think he had been in my store before. And when you wait on somebody, you recognize them, and he just seemed funny. His hair was sort of messed up and looked like he had been running, and he looked scared, and he looked funny.

Brewer recognised Oswald as a past customer.

No--------"I had seen him some place before" is much vaguer than "I had seen him in my store before".

From Mr. Brewer's 1996 interview with Mr. Ian Griggs:

As he looked at the man in the lobby of his shoe store, Mr. Brewer did NOT recognize him as a past customer.