Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Who Killed J.D. Tippit?  (Read 47884 times)

Offline Bill Brown

Re: Who Killed J.D. Tippit?
« Reply #296 on: June 08, 2023, 10:52:56 PM »
Advertisement
Yes, I agree. Westbrook is a highly dubious individual, IMO. He was not only involved in the wallet issue, but also the white/gray jacket farce.

So, you believe that Barrett was part of the investigation, despite the fact that the FBI had no jurisdiction? I'm not dismissing anything. You expect that Barrett wrote a report and it should have included the question being asked? Really? Have you read Barrett's report on what happened at the Tippit crime scene?

It was more than being asked only "a simple question".

Asking somebody if he knows a couple of names is not "a simple question"? Why?

I think you're dismissing the point that Barrett would have mentioned such an important item in his report.

So, in your opinion, Barrett, an observer, should have been so much aware it was an important item that he would have put it in his report? But the same doesn't apply to Bentley, Hill, Carroll and Westbrook, who were actually involved in the investigation?

Nice assumptions. First you assume that Barrett had reason to report about what happened at the Tippit scene and secondly you assume that Barrett knew about Oswald's name and that he was aware of the fact that Hidell was a fake alias used by Oswald. Thirdly, you assume that Barrett could have stated what the content of the wallet was, when in fact he never held it or examined it.

All he really knew was (1) there was a wallet and (2) Westbrook asked him if he knew a guy named Oswald or a guy named Hidell. And you expect him to write this in a report?

Barrett writes his report (which he did do)

I have actually never seen Barrett's report for 11/22/63. Can you point me to where I can find it?

I have actually never seen Barrett's report for 11/22/63. Can you point me to where I can find it?

I'll try to find it.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #296 on: June 08, 2023, 10:52:56 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #297 on: June 08, 2023, 11:32:08 PM »

I'll try to find it.

Thanks, I'll keep looking as well

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #298 on: June 09, 2023, 12:13:54 AM »
According to James Hosty, on page 67 of his book “Assignment Oswald”, an ID with the name A.J. Hidell was found in LHO’s wallet when he was arrested in New Orleans in 1963. Is there any supporting evidence of this in the files of either the New Orleans Police Department or the FBI?

When Quigley sat down across from Lee, Oswald made a number of self-serving statements about his activities with the Fair Play for Cuba Committee, telling Quigley it was his patriotic duty as an American to distribute the flyers because Americans needed to back off Cuba. It soon became apparent to Quigley that Oswald was holding back: he refused to answer many of Quigley’s questions about the pro-Castro committee, and was increasingly evasive about the identification found in his wallet for one A. J. Hidell. Because Quigley was unfamiliar with Oswald, the interview was completely unproductive. The following week, when he wrote up his report, he noticed that his office had an active file on Lee Oswald, so he routed his report to that file.

If there is supporting evidence that LHO was carrying an A.J. Hidell I.D in his wallet when he was arrested in New Orleans, I think that it would tend to support the DPD officers’ testimony that LHO was carrying one in his wallet when he was arrested in Dallas on 11/22/63.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #298 on: June 09, 2023, 12:13:54 AM »

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #299 on: June 09, 2023, 03:09:05 AM »
Thanks, I'll keep looking as well

On a tip from Dale Myers...
CD 5, pages 84-85.  Try the Mary Ferrell site.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #300 on: June 09, 2023, 07:13:41 PM »
On a tip from Dale Myers...
CD 5, pages 84-85.  Try the Mary Ferrell site.

Found it. He doesn't go into great detail beyond his movements and observations.

I found something else as well; in a memo written to Mr. Conrad and several other high ranking FBI officials, W.D. Griffith writes that ASAC Dallas Kyle G. Clark has learned from the DPD that they forgot to photograph Oswald's wallet and it's content. They (the DPD) request that they be furnished with photographs of those items.

According to the memo, the wallet contained photographs of Oswald, his wife and a baby, as well as various Civil Service, Social Security and other identification cards. What isn't mentioned is a fake Hidell ID card.

There is a photograph of the photographs and ID cards that were in the wallet;

Guess what's missing?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:47:50 PM by Martin Weidmann »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #300 on: June 09, 2023, 07:13:41 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #301 on: June 10, 2023, 12:36:32 AM »
Very interesting, Martin. Thanks!

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #302 on: June 14, 2023, 12:06:33 AM »
Bentley wrote: "I turned his identification over to Lt. Baker. I then went to Captain Westbrook's Office to make a report of the arrest." "Identification" is, of course, much more specific than "information."

Bla bla bla... your desperate need to score a minor point is duly noted.

"Turned over" implies a physical transfer. The only physical identification that Bentley could have turned over is what he took from Oswald,

Sure, and what exactly did Bentley turn over? He said it himself; "his identification", meaning of course Oswald's. Not a word about Hidell. Now, isn't that strange? Not a word about there being ID's in two different names and not knowing which one is the correct name. Nothing, nada, zero.... 

I didn't imagine that FBI agent Barrett said there was a wallet at the Tippit scene and that Westbrook asked him about Oswald and Hidell, did I? I also didn't imagine that Ron Reiland said it was a wallet (which he mistakenly believed belonged to Tippit), did I?

Did I imagine that none of the four officers who were with Oswald in the car said anything about a Hidell ID being in Oswald's wallet and that there is no DPD report that mentions finding such a vital piece of evidence?

Did I imagine that only Hill and Carroll made very vague comments about the Hidell ID in their WC testimony, some six months later, and that the WC didn't even call Bentley (the man who actually inspected the wallet) to testify about finding the Hidell ID? That would be the same Hill, btw, who also screwed up the chain of custody for the revolver, but that's another issue.

There is no evidentiary case to show that the Hidell ID was in the wallet Bentley took from Oswald, but there most certainly is a circumstantial case (not a very strong one, I'll grant you that) that there was indeed a wallet found at the Tippit scene which contained Oswald's ID and the fake Hidell ID.

So, given this, yes I do think you should at least try to prove me wrong with something a bit more than assumptions about what was in the wallet Bentley gave to Baker and when he gave it to him.

Who? Oh you mean Bentley.... sure he knew better what he did that day than I do. He just failed miserably in communicating what he did and when he did it.

No, I'm simply saying that there are police procedures about how to handle evidence. There should at least be a conclusive chain of custody, starting with the person who actually found the item and there should be at least one report about the circumstances of the discovery. But wait, I just realized who I am talking to... now you are going to try to turn this into a pages long go nowhere discussion about police procedures, right? Well don't...because I am not going to go there.

Yes I do know that. It makes no difference. Your quote from Bentley's report made it clear that he turned over "his identification" to Lt. Baker and then he went to Captain Westbrook's Office to make a report of the arrest. In other words, he gave the "identification" to Baker when he left the Homicide bureau, where Gus Rose, at that time, was already talking to Oswald!

The crux of your position is summarized by two statements. The first is:

No, I'm simply saying that there are police procedures about how to handle evidence. There should at least be a conclusive chain of custody, starting with the person who actually found the item and there should be at least one report about the circumstances of the discovery.

The problem is, the existence of any particular procedure that you presume to exist in this particular matter is liable to be just that: nothing more than your own presumption. I don't really know what level of detail period-correct DPD police officers would have been expected to give in their reports. I don't thiyou do, either.

You then fall back on the ole standby: appeal to chain of custody, witch you habitually repeat as mantra at the scantest hint of ambiguity. Just like any other 2nd rate prison lawyer. Here too, I keep getting the feeling that you don't actually know how that part really worked, either.

Your second statement is:

Your quote from Bentley's report made it clear that he turned over "his identification" to Lt. Baker and then he went to Captain Westbrook's Office to make a report of the arrest. In other words, he gave the "identification" to Baker when he left the Homicide bureau, where Gus Rose, at that time, was already talking to Oswald!

Bentley's account on this point is pretty terse:

I turned his identification over to Lt. Baker. I then went to Captain Westbrook's Office to make a report of the arrest.

We only know that Bentley gave Baker the IDs (in whatever form) at some point before proceeding to Westbrook's office, but don't don't know how much time passed between Bentley showing up at the Robbery and Homicide office, Bentley handing over the ID, and Bentley leaving. Further, there is nothing in Bentley's report that directly relates when Oswald was turned over to when the ID was turned over. Bentley arrived with Oswald, Hill, Carrol, McDonald, and Walker. Like Bentley, Hill, Carrol, McDonald, and Walker brought Oswald to the Robbery and Homicide Bureau office. Walker stayed in Fritz's office with Oswald, McDonald left to have his injuries checked, while Hill and Carrol proceeded to Westbrook's office to do some report writing.

Hill's and Carrol's trajectory through City Hall matched Bentley's, and that the three arrived together in the first place. The implication should be clear: Bentley arrived in the Homicide office with Oswald, and turned over Oswald's ID's at the same time as their owner's

In short, the idea that Bentley cold not have turned over the ID's before Gus Rose got them from the unnamed officer is simply a fantasy.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #302 on: June 14, 2023, 12:06:33 AM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #303 on: June 14, 2023, 12:43:30 AM »
The crux of your position is summarized by two statements. The first is:

No, I'm simply saying that there are police procedures about how to handle evidence. There should at least be a conclusive chain of custody, starting with the person who actually found the item and there should be at least one report about the circumstances of the discovery.

The problem is, the existence of any particular procedure that you presume to exist in this particular matter is liable to be just that: nothing more than your own presumption. I don't really know what level of detail period-correct DPD police officers would have been expected to give in their reports. I don't thiyou do, either.

You then fall back on the ole standby: appeal to chain of custody, witch you habitually repeat as mantra at the scantest hint of ambiguity. Just like any other 2nd rate prison lawyer. Here too, I keep getting the feeling that you don't actually know how that part really worked, either.

Your second statement is:

Your quote from Bentley's report made it clear that he turned over "his identification" to Lt. Baker and then he went to Captain Westbrook's Office to make a report of the arrest. In other words, he gave the "identification" to Baker when he left the Homicide bureau, where Gus Rose, at that time, was already talking to Oswald!

Bentley's account on this point is pretty terse:

I turned his identification over to Lt. Baker. I then went to Captain Westbrook's Office to make a report of the arrest.

We only know that Bentley gave Baker the IDs (in whatever form) at some point before proceeding to Westbrook's office, but don't don't know how much time passed between Bentley showing up at the Robbery and Homicide office, Bentley handing over the ID, and Bentley leaving. Further, there is nothing in Bentley's report that directly relates when Oswald was turned over to when the ID was turned over. Bentley arrived with Oswald, Hill, Carrol, McDonald, and Walker. Like Bentley, Hill, Carrol, McDonald, and Walker brought Oswald to the Robbery and Homicide Bureau office. Walker stayed in Fritz's office with Oswald, McDonald left to have his injuries checked, while Hill and Carrol proceeded to Westbrook's office to do some report writing.

Hill's and Carrol's trajectory through City Hall matched Bentley's, and that the three arrived together in the first place. The implication should be clear: Bentley arrived in the Homicide office with Oswald, and turned over Oswald's ID's at the same time as their owner's

In short, the idea that Bentley cold not have turned over the ID's before Gus Rose got them from the unnamed officer is simply a fantasy.

I'll give you a bit of time to correct all your spelling mistakes and will only make this comment for now;

The sequence of events is pretty easy; Oswald is brought into the Homicide bureau, where Gus Rose is already waiting for him, having just arrived moments earlier. As soon as Oswald is brought in Rose talked to him;

Mr. BALL. Where did you go to work?
Mr. ROSE. I reported to the homicide office. It's room 317 at the city hall.
Mr. BALL. Where did you go then?
Mr. ROSE. There were some people in the office from the Book Depository and we talked to a few of them and then in just a few minutes they brought in Lee Oswald and I talked to him for a few minutes?

During that conversation Rose already had the wallet with two ID's in them;

Mr. ROSE. No; he didn't, not right then--he did later. In a minute--I found two cards--I found a card that said "A. Hidell." And I found another card that said "Lee Oswald" on it, and I asked him which of the two was his correct name. He wouldn't tell me at the time, he just said, "You find out."

And Rose got the billfold containing the two ID's from "someone";

Mr. BALL. Did you search him?
Mr. ROSE. He had already been searched and someone had his billfold. I don't know whether it was the patrolman who brought him in that had it or not.
Mr. BALL. And the contents of the billfold supposedly were before you?
Mr. ROSE. Yes.

If that somebody had been Baker he would have recognized him.

So, now you try to fit in the "Bentley giving Baker the billfold" narrative....

This should be fun!