Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The Floor-Laying Crew  (Read 21079 times)

Offline Alan Ford

Re: The Floor-Laying Crew
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2023, 10:47:55 PM »
Advertisement
Some basic background:

The floor-laying project had been going on for some weeks by 11/22. First the fifth floor was done (a big job taking several weeks). Then, on Wednesday 11/20, the operation was moved up to the sixth floor.

For those working in the fourth-floor offices, the weeks of renovation of the fifth floor must have been a noisy nuisance!

Thumb1:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 10:48:25 PM by Alan Ford »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2023, 10:47:55 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2023, 11:49:10 PM »
Detail from Dillard photo, showing SW window of sixth floor just after the shooting-------------------------

Debunked ages ago. But Conspiracy Kooks keep falling for it.  :D

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2023, 12:26:44 AM »
I think Curry meant exactly what he said. "We don't have any proof that Oswald fired the rifle, and never did.”

Right. Curry clearly meant that they didn’t have enough evidence to prove that Oswald was on the Sixth floor shooting a rifle that day.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2023, 12:26:44 AM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2023, 12:45:55 AM »
Right. Curry clearly meant that they didn’t have enough evidence to prove that Oswald was on the Sixth floor shooting a rifle that day.

Neither did the Warren Commission. They just assumed he was there because, what they claimed was his rifle was there, but they couldn't even prove that it was his rifle. That was yet another assumption.

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2023, 01:43:26 PM »

Oswald was arrested and charged with the crime.  That would seemingly indicate that Curry believed they had enough evidence to prove the crime.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2023, 01:43:26 PM »

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2023, 03:18:26 PM »
Oswald was arrested and charged with the crime.  That would seemingly indicate that Curry believed they had enough evidence to prove the crime.
I don't think Curry had much if any say in the filing of the charges, right? That was Wade's decision along with his assistants. From his testimony it seems he wasn't consulted about the charges.

Representative FORD - What evidence did you have at that point [when the charges were made]?
Mr. CURRY - I couldn't tell you all the evidence. I think Captain Fritz can tell you better than I. Captain Fritz Just told me on Friday afternoon he said, "We have sufficient evidence to file a case on Oswald for the murder of Tippit." Later on that night, somewhere around midnight, I believe, he told me, he said, "We now have sufficient evidence to file on Lee Harvey Oswald for the assassination of President Kennedy." He told me he had talked it over with Henry Wade and with the assistant district attorney and they agreed we had enough evidence to file a case, and a decision was made then to file the case, which we did.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:08:53 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2023, 03:36:30 PM »
https://emuseum.jfk.org/objects/4507/harold-norman-oral-history?ctx=bf69a30fdada59d68a55ebc9592a3ff66ca46cff&idx=226

Thank you! Here are some of my impressions of the Sixth Floor Museum interview:

There is nothing in it that led me to believe there was an “outside crew” on the sixth floor.

Norman doesn’t remember seeing the 6’-2” worker on 11/22/63, (I believed that he was describing a coworker who he regularly discussed boxing with from listening to the tape).

Norman’s assertions that there was no coercion from any of the authorities who interviewed him, including the WC, to try to get him to testify to anything but the truth are some of the most important statements that he made. Another one is that Norman confirms that everything in his testimony transcripts is what he actually said at that time.

I don’t know who Mr. Glen Sample is, but in the excerpt of the 1993 interview that you posted in the first post of this thread, it appears to me that Sample is trying to put words in Norman’s mouth…
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 03:39:30 PM by Charles Collins »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2023, 03:36:30 PM »

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2023, 04:14:06 PM »

Thank you! Here are some of my impressions of the Sixth Floor Museum interview:

There is nothing in it that led me to believe there was an “outside crew” on the sixth floor.

Norman doesn’t remember seeing the 6’-2” worker on 11/22/63, (I believed that he was describing a coworker who he regularly discussed boxing with from listening to the tape).

Norman’s assertions that there was no coercion from any of the authorities who interviewed him, including the WC, to try to get him to testify to anything but the truth are some of the most important statements that he made. Another one is that Norman confirms that everything in his testimony transcripts is what he actually said at that time.

I don’t know who Mr. Glen Sample is, but in the excerpt of the 1993 interview that you posted in the first post of this thread, it appears to me that Sample is trying to put words in Norman’s mouth…
I haven't followed all of this but Williams said he cut wood for the floor. So if they had a separate/"outside" crew to do the floor would he have worked with them?

Mr. WILLIAMS: They called me up to help lay a floor on the fifth floor, they wanted more boards over it. As I say, business was slow, and they were trying to keep us on without laying us off at the time. So I was using the saw, helping cut wood and lay wood.
Mr. BALL. You were laying a wood floor over the old floor?
Mr. WILLIAMS. Yes, sir.

And Givens:
Mr. GIVENS. Well, I work on the first floor most of the time, like we fill orders. We like work out of the stock downstairs. We go upstairs. We have stock on three floors, fifth, sixth, and seventh.
Mr. BELIN. Well, do you fill orders for any particular publisher more than another, so that you might be on the fifth floor, or the sixth floor more than the seventh, or do you just spend as much time on any one of those top floors as you do on any other top floor?
Mr. GIVENS. That's right.
Mr. BELIN. Is that what you were doing on the 22d of November 1963, also?
Mr. GIVENS. No, sir.
Mr. BELIN. What were you doing on November 22?
Mr. GIVENS. We were fixing the floor, putting down some plywood on the floor.
Mr. BELIN. What floor would this have been on?
Mr. GIVENS. Sixth.
Mr. BELIN. What part of the sixth floor?
Mr. GIVENS. We were working. on the west end.

So Truly wanted to keep them employed at a down time so he had them lay floors (fifth and sixth). Why call them over to cut/lay a floor if there was an "outside" crew to do that? If there's a separate crew to do this then they wouldn't have been called over to do the job.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:20:28 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »