Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: A time to receive and give (CE399)  (Read 24508 times)

Online Dan O'meara

Re: A time to receive and give (CE399)
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2023, 05:05:40 PM »
Advertisement
It depends on how reliable and accurate O.P. Wright's memory was in 1967.  It also depends on how reliable and accurate Josiah Thompson's account of his interaction with Wright was. 

What I am saying is that real evidence fits together and makes sense.
I am not sure how "unequivocal" he was in 1966. Thompson says "he seemed quite prepared to stick by his story" that the bullet he gave to Johnsen had a pointed tip. (Six Seconds in Dallas, p. 175).  I am also not sure how reliable we can expect Wright's memory of this to be 3 years after the fact. It wasn't very good 6 months after the fact (CE2011) because he couldn't recognize it when asked. But he also did not deny it like Thompson would have us believe he did in November 1966.

It's very difficult to take you seriously sometimes.
Wright is adamant CE399 is not the pointed bullet he gave to Johnsen. He couldn't be any more certain. From the outset of the interview with Thompson he states the bullet found that day had a pointed tip. He even produces such a bullet to demonstrate exactly what he's talking about - this is not the display of someone who is in any way unsure of what he's talking about:

According to Thompson, Wright was an ex-deputy Chief of Police, someone who "had an educated eye for bullets". Wright is then shown photos of CE399 and flatly denies that this is the pointed bullet he hands over to Johnsen. Wright then repeats this categorical denial in front of witnesses. Wright is unequivocal that CE399 is NOT the bullet he handed over to Johnsen.
You counter Wright's certainty by noting that he was "prepared to stick by his story"!!
How you imagine that Wright being prepared to stick by his story is a sign of uncertainty is beyond me. He will not be swayed from his denial of CE399 as the bullet he handed over to Johnsen, and you imagine that his refusal to be swayed is a sign of uncertainty!
You seem to be arguing that Wright's certainty is a sign of his uncertainty!!
You really are something else.
And then you come up with this gem:

I am also not sure how reliable we can expect Wright's memory of this to be 3 years after the fact. It wasn't very good 6 months after the fact (CE2011) because he couldn't recognize it when asked.

Unbelievably, you seem to be arguing that, because Wright refused to identify CE399 as the bullet Tomlinson discovered, he has a bad memory!!
Really??
Let me run you through the argument I've been presenting in my previous posts;
Tomlinson discovers a bullet on the ground floor of Parkland. Wright enters the same area and Tomlinson calls him over to check out the bullet. The bullet Wright sees has a pointed tip and this is the bullet he hands over to SA Johnsen. Wright is absolutely certain the bullet he handed over to Johnsen is NOT CE399. Sometime later Wright is shown CE399 and he refuses to identify it as the bullet he handled that day because it is NOT the bullet he handled that day. Tomlinson also refuses to identify CE399 as the bullet he handled that day because it is NOT the bullet he handled that day.
There is nothing wrong with Wright's memory and his decades spent as a cop give him a good idea about different types of bullet. And the bullet he handled that day is a completely different type of bullet to the one he is asked to identify.

Having said that, it is somewhat surprising that Arlen Specter did not show Tomlinson the bullet CE399 or at least a photo of it when he examined him under oath in March 1964 (6 H 128).  But I don't see any reason to think that Specter was trying to hide anything. The point in speaking with Tomlinson was not to identify CE399 but to identify where the bullet that he found came from.

The point in speaking with Tomlinson was not to identify CE399 but to identify where the bullet that he found came from.

As I've already stated in a previous post, at the beginning of Tomlinson's deposition, Specter makes it absolutely clear what the point of speaking to Tomlinson is:

"Mr. Tomlinson, the purpose of this deposition proceeding is to take your deposition in connection with an inquiry made by the President's Commission in connection with the Assassination of President Kennedy to determine from you all the facts, if any, which you know concerning the events surrounding the assassination of President Kennedy..."

The whole point of the deposition is to determine from Tomlinson "all the facts, if any, which you know concerning the events surrounding the assassination of President Kennedy."
"ALL THE FACTS."

But that's not what happens.
Tomlinson is called to testify because he is the man who discovered the bullet in Parkland.
It is not "somewhat surprising that Arlen Specter did not show Tomlinson the bullet CE399", it is a staggering failure of the purpose of the deposition.
Tomlinson is not asked a single question about the bullet he discovered!!
How is this determining "all the facts"??
Specter goes out of his way not to ask this question. He keeps asking Tomlinson about the positioning of the stretchers which Tomlinson answers:

"Mr. SPECTER. Now, Mr. Tomlinson, are you sure that it was stretcher "A" that you took out of the elevator and not stretcher "B"?
Mr. TOMLINSON. Well, really, I can't be positive, just to be perfectly honest about it, I can't be positive, because I really didn't pay that much attention to it..."

But Specter keeps asking him the same question over and over and Tomlinson keeps telling him he can't be sure.
And that's that!
Not a single question about the bullet.
Why not?
Surely it's because Specter knows that Tomlinson will not identify CE399 as the bullet he found that day. Worse, he might start describing the bullet with the pointed tip. This also feeds into the fact that Tomlinson is not brought before the WC to give his testimony, which is instead given at Parkland with only Specter and a court reporter in attendance. No awkward (or obvious) questions from anyone else.
The notion that Tomlinson was there to reveal "all the facts" about his discovery is a sick joke.

Secret Service agents are trained as law enforcement officers or investigators?  How do we know that?   It seems that no one wanted to take responsibility for it and kept passing it off until it eventually reached Todd who then turned it over to the FBI.

Your inference, that the Head of the Secret Service was unfamiliar with the concept of a chain of custody, is derisory.
There is a far more important point to be made here.
The last paragraph of the declassified Shanklin memo states the following:

"Obtain C1 (the original classification of CE399) from FBI laboratory and thereafter immediately exhibit to SA ROBERT E. JOHNSEN, Secret Service, who is attached to White House detail, and to JAMES ROWLEY, Chief, Secret Service, to have C1 identified."

Because both Johnsen and Rowley destroyed the chain of custody by not putting their initials on the bullet, it might be expected they would be more than willing to make amends when asked to identify the bullet they handled that day.
Both men refuse to identify CE399 as the bullet they handled that day!!
Both have destroyed the opportunity to have CE399 placed in the chain of custody, not once, but twice!
The only plausible explanation for this incredible refusal is that CE399 is not the bullet they handled that day. If they really couldn't remember it was the bullet (and let's remember both Todd and Frazier had no problem remembering the bullet), they could still have played along and agreed it was the bullet that Todd received from Rowley later in the evening of the day of the assassination.
Remember, it was Todd who was showing them the bullet - Todd, the man who received the bullet from Rowley, was asking Rowley to acknowledge that the bullet Todd was showing him was the bullet he gave him. Basically, it's as if Todd was telling him "this is the bullet you gave me that day. I am telling you this was the bullet you gave me. now, say you recognise it?"
But both Rowley and Johnsen refuse to identify CE399 as the bullet they handled that day. I can only imagine it was because the bullet they were being asked to identify (CE399), was so different from the bullet they handled, that they refused to identify it.
It's really extraordinary that Tomlinson, Wright, Johnsen and Rowley refuse to identify CE399.
It's really coincidental that the only men to put their initials on the bullet have no problem recognising it.

I actually agree with you on this.  CE399 did not go through JBC.  CE399 was the first shot.  There is no clear evidence as to where it went after passing through JFK.  JBC said he was hit in the back on the second shot.  He never felt the thigh shot.  It would not be surprising if the bullet stuck in his left thigh and came out of his thigh when they put him on the stretcher.  It might have been spinning rapidly after exiting JFK's neck (it came out under his tie), struck JBC's thigh and kept going - landing somehow on the outside of his clothing. It is not something that can be determined because we don't have evidence of anything except the general trajectory.

This paragraph is so mental, I don't know where to begin.
So I won't bother.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 05:12:01 PM by Dan O'meara »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2023, 05:05:40 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2023, 05:17:01 PM »
Wright is adamant CE399 is not the pointed bullet he gave to Johnsen. He couldn't be any more certain. From the outset of the interview with Thompson he states the bullet found that day had a pointed tip. He even produces such a bullet to demonstrate exactly what he's talking about - this is not the display of someone who is in any way unsure of what he's talking about:

According to Thompson, Wright was an ex-deputy Chief of Police, someone who "had an educated eye for bullets". Wright is then shown photos of CE399 and flatly denies that this is the pointed bullet he hands over to Johnsen. Wright then repeats this categorical denial in front of witnesses. Wright is unequivocal that CE399 is NOT the bullet he handed over to Johnsen.
You counter Wright's certainty by noting that he was "prepared to stick by his story"!!
How you imagine that Wright being prepared to stick by his story is a sign of uncertainty is beyond me. He will not be swayed from his denial of CE399 as the bullet he handed over to Johnsen, and you imagine that his refusal to be swayed is a sign of uncertainty!

I am also not sure how reliable we can expect Wright's memory of this to be 3 years after the fact. It wasn't very good 6 months after the fact (CE2011) because he couldn't recognize it when asked.

Unbelievably, you seem to be arguing that, because Wright refused to identify CE399 as the bullet Tomlinson discovered, he has a bad memory!!
Really??
Tomlinson discovers a bullet on the ground floor of Parkland. Wright enters the same area and Tomlinson calls him over to check out the bullet. The bullet Wright sees has a pointed tip and this is the bullet he hands over to SA Johnsen. Wright is absolutely certain the bullet he handed over to Johnsen is NOT CE399. Sometime later Wright is shown CE399 and he refuses to identify it as the bullet he handled that day because it is NOT the bullet he handled that day. Tomlinson also refuses to identify CE399 as the bullet he handled that day because it is NOT the bullet he handled that day.
There is nothing wrong with Wright's memory and his decades spent as a cop give him a good idea about different types of bullet. And the bullet he handled that day is a completely different type of bullet to the one he is asked to identify.

The point in speaking with Tomlinson was not to identify CE399 but to identify where the bullet that he found came from.

As I've already stated in a previous post, at the beginning of Tomlinson's deposition, Specter makes it absolutely clear what the point of speaking to Tomlinson is:

"Mr. Tomlinson, the purpose of this deposition proceeding is to take your deposition in connection with an inquiry made by the President's Commission in connection with the Assassination of President Kennedy to determine from you all the facts, if any, which you know concerning the events surrounding the assassination of President Kennedy..."

The whole point of the deposition is to determine from Tomlinson "all the facts, if any, which you know concerning the events surrounding the assassination of President Kennedy."
"ALL THE FACTS."

But that's not what happens.
Tomlinson is called to testify because he is the man who discovered the bullet in Parkland.
It is not "somewhat surprising that Arlen Specter did not show Tomlinson the bullet CE399", it is a staggering failure of the purpose of the deposition.
Specter goes out of his way not to ask this question. He keeps asking Tomlinson about the positioning of the stretchers which Tomlinson answers:

"Mr. SPECTER. Now, Mr. Tomlinson, are you sure that it was stretcher "A" that you took out of the elevator and not stretcher "B"?
Mr. TOMLINSON. Well, really, I can't be positive, just to be perfectly honest about it, I can't be positive, because I really didn't pay that much attention to it..."

But Specter keeps asking him the same question over and over and Tomlinson keeps telling him he can't be sure.
And that's that!
Why not?
Surely it's because Specter knows that Tomlinson will not identify CE399 as the bullet he found that day. Worse, he might start describing the bullet with the pointed tip. This also feeds into the fact that Tomlinson is not brought before the WC to give his testimony, which is instead given at Parkland with only Specter and a court reporter in attendance. No awkward (or obvious) questions from anyone else.
The notion that Tomlinson was there to reveal "all the facts" about his discovery is a sick joke.

Your inference, that the Head of the Secret Service was unfamiliar with the concept of a chain of custody, is derisory.
There is a far more important point to be made here.
The last paragraph of the declassified Shanklin memo states the following:

"Obtain C1 (the original classification of CE399) from FBI laboratory and thereafter immediately exhibit to SA ROBERT E. JOHNSEN, Secret Service, who is attached to White House detail, and to JAMES ROWLEY, Chief, Secret Service, to have C1 identified."

Because both Johnsen and Rowley destroyed the chain of custody by not putting their initials on the bullet, it might be expected they would be more than willing to make amends when asked to identify the bullet they handled that day.
Both have destroyed the opportunity to have CE399 placed in the chain of custody, not once, but twice!
The only plausible explanation for this incredible refusal is that CE399 is not the bullet they handled that day. If they really couldn't remember it was the bullet (and let's remember both Todd and Frazier had no problem remembering the bullet), they could still have played along and agreed it was the bullet that Todd received from Rowley later in the evening of the day of the assassination.
Remember, it was Todd who was showing them the bullet - Todd, the man who received the bullet from Rowley, was asking Rowley to acknowledge that the bullet Todd was showing him was the bullet he gave him. Basically, it's as if Todd was telling him "this is the bullet you gave me that day. I am telling you this was the bullet you gave me. now, say you recognise it?"
But both Rowley and Johnsen refuse to identify CE399 as the bullet they handled that day. I can only imagine it was because the bullet they were being asked to identify (CE399), was so different from the bullet they handled, that they refused to identify it.
It's really extraordinary that Tomlinson, Wright, Johnsen and Rowley refuse to identify CE399.
It's really coincidental that the only men to put their initials on the bullet have no problem recognising it.

This paragraph is so mental, I don't know where to begin.
So I won't bother.

What he said..... Thumb1:

Andrew is trying to marginalize the chain of custody and completely ignores that Arlen Specter introduced the bullet we now know as CE399 into evidence during Dr. Humes' testimony, subject to later proof that it is the bullet that was found at Parkland Hospital.
Obviously, that proof was never provided!

Not only that, but he also ignores that the WC asked the FBI for authentication of many pieces of evidence, including CE399, which would have been a strange thing to do if the chain of custody wasn't important.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 07:59:29 PM by Martin Weidmann »

Offline Andrew Mason

• SPMLaw
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2023, 11:51:02 PM »

Thompson also thought that it was unequivocal that Tomlinson had not found the bullet on Connally's stretcher. You want to rely on Thompson's description of Wright's answer to conclude that Wright was absolutely certain.

If Wright was absolutely certain, why would he ask Thompson if the Secret Service was saying that he had handed over a different bullet?  Does this sound like he was absolutely certain (Six Seconds, p. 175)?: 
  • "Sometime later he asked me if one of the pictures I had shown him was supposed
    to be the bullet found on the stretcher. I replied, "Yes," and he seemed quite prepared to stick by his story."

The degree of sureness of a witness that is less than 100% is often an indication that they are really not sure at all.  The fact that Wright asked Thompson whether the photographs showed the bullet that the Secret Service said was the one he had given them indicates he was not really sure.

Even if they feel sure, witnesses can be mistaken for many reasons. There are many reasons Wright may have remembered it as a pointy bullet - e.g. because that is the kind of bullet that he was familiar with.  The 6.5 mm. round tip bullet was not a typical or usual kind of bullet. No hand gun would use such a shaped bullet. It is not clear how familiar Wright was with rifle ammunition.

Really??
Six months after the assassination he could not recognize CE399 as the bullet.  According to CE2011 Wright did not say that CE399 was not the bullet he held.  So six months after he was uncertain.  But 3 years later he is absolutely certain?!.   Memories do not improve with age!
Tomlinson discovers a bullet on the ground floor of Parkland. Wright enters the same area and Tomlinson calls him over to check out the bullet. The bullet Wright sees has a pointed tip and this is the bullet he hands over to SA Johnsen.
When does Wright say he saw that it had a pointed tip? The first time that I am aware was in 1966. That is not seeing that the bullet had a pointed tip. That is thinking in 1966 that the bullet he saw in 1963 had a pointed tip. Big difference.

And that's that!
Why not?
As I said, it is a bit surprising. But I can understand it because no one was, at that time, suggesting that CE399 was not the bullet.  The issue was where it came from.  By suggesting that Specter was deliberately not asking him to identify CE399 because Tomlinson would say it was a different bullet you are suggesting that Specter was trying to prevent the Commission from concluding there was a conspiracy.  The evidence shows otherwise.  David Belin wrote in his book Final Disclosure that they were all trying to find evidence of a conspiracy.

If officers were expected to remember an object in evidence by what it looked like, they would not need to initial the object.  The very reason investigators put their initials on the exhibit is because they will likely be unable to identify the object from just its appearance.  So Tomlinson, Wright, Johnsen and Rowley's inability to identify it from appearance should not be surprising.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2023, 11:51:02 PM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2023, 12:38:19 AM »
What he said..... Thumb1:

Andrew is trying to marginalize the chain of custody and completely ignores that Arlen Specter introduced the bullet we now know as CE399 into evidence during Dr. Humes' testimony, subject to later proof that it is the bullet that was found at Parkland Hospital.
Obviously, that proof was never provided!

Not only that, but he also ignores that the WC asked the FBI for authentication of many pieces of evidence, including CE399, which would have been a strange thing to do if the chain of custody wasn't important.

At least Specter was qualifying CE399 as "subject to later proof". During Frazier's testimony, Eisenberg couldn't even be bothered with that nicety:

Mr. Eisenberg: Mr. Frazier, I now hand you Commission Exhibit 399, which, for the record, is a bullet, and also for the record, it is a bullet which was found in the Parkland Hospital following the assassination. Are you familiar with this exhibit?
Mr. Frazier: Yes, sir. This is a bullet which was delivered to me in the FBI laboratory on November 22, 1963 by Special Agent Elmer Todd of the FBI Washington Field Office.

Just in case you didn't know, Mr Frazier, this is the bullet which was found at Parkland (for the record)!!

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #212 on: March 15, 2023, 12:46:05 AM »
Thompson also thought that it was unequivocal that Tomlinson had not found the bullet on Connally's stretcher. You want to rely on Thompson's description of Wright's answer to conclude that Wright was absolutely certain.

If Wright was absolutely certain, why would he ask Thompson if the Secret Service was saying that he had handed over a different bullet?  Does this sound like he was absolutely certain (Six Seconds, p. 175)?: 
  • "Sometime later he asked me if one of the pictures I had shown him was supposed
    to be the bullet found on the stretcher. I replied, "Yes," and he seemed quite prepared to stick by his story."

The degree of sureness of a witness that is less than 100% is often an indication that they are really not sure at all.  The fact that Wright asked Thompson whether the photographs showed the bullet that the Secret Service said was the one he had given them indicates he was not really sure.

Even if they feel sure, witnesses can be mistaken for many reasons. There are many reasons Wright may have remembered it as a pointy bullet - e.g. because that is the kind of bullet that he was familiar with.  The 6.5 mm. round tip bullet was not a typical or usual kind of bullet. No hand gun would use such a shaped bullet. It is not clear how familiar Wright was with rifle ammunition.Six months after the assassination he could not recognize CE399 as the bullet.  According to CE2011 Wright did not say that CE399 was not the bullet he held.  So six months after he was uncertain.  But 3 years later he is absolutely certain?!.   Memories do not improve with age!When does Wright say he saw that it had a pointed tip? The first time that I am aware was in 1966. That is not seeing that the bullet had a pointed tip. That is thinking in 1966 that the bullet he saw in 1963 had a pointed tip. Big difference.As I said, it is a bit surprising. But I can understand it because no one was, at that time, suggesting that CE399 was not the bullet.  The issue was where it came from.  By suggesting that Specter was deliberately not asking him to identify CE399 because Tomlinson would say it was a different bullet you are suggesting that Specter was trying to prevent the Commission from concluding there was a conspiracy.  The evidence shows otherwise.  David Belin wrote in his book Final Disclosure that they were all trying to find evidence of a conspiracy.
If officers were expected to remember an object in evidence by what it looked like, they would not need to initial the object.  The very reason investigators put their initials on the exhibit is because they will likely be unable to identify the object from just its appearance.  So Tomlinson, Wright, Johnsen and Rowley's inability to identify it from appearance should not be surprising.

Every single sentence of your post is utter waffle, devoid of any content.
As usual, you have forgotten that these threads are a written record , any readers interested in the arguments presented can read through the last few pages and judge for themselves the strength of these arguments.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #212 on: March 15, 2023, 12:46:05 AM »

Offline Andrew Mason

• SPMLaw
« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2023, 01:10:35 AM »
Every single sentence of your post is utter waffle, devoid of any content.
It obviously has content. You just don't find it persuasive.
As usual, you have forgotten that these threads are a written record , any readers interested in the arguments presented can read through the last few pages and judge for themselves the strength of these arguments.
That is exactly what the forum is for!

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2023, 01:44:34 AM »

Even if they feel sure, witnesses can be mistaken for many reasons. There are many reasons Wright may have remembered it as a pointy bullet - e.g. because that is the kind of bullet that he was familiar with.  The 6.5 mm. round tip bullet was not a typical or usual kind of bullet. No hand gun would use such a shaped bullet. It is not clear how familiar Wright was with rifle ammunition.Six months after the assassination he could not recognize CE399 as the bullet.  According to CE2011 Wright did not say that CE399 was not the bullet he held.  So six months after he was uncertain.  But 3 years later he is absolutely certain?!.   Memories do not improve with age!When does Wright say he saw that it had a pointed tip? The first time that I am aware was in 1966. That is not seeing that the bullet had a pointed tip. That is thinking in 1966 that the bullet he saw in 1963 had a pointed tip. Big difference.As I said, it is a bit surprising. But I can understand it because no one was, at that time, suggesting that CE399 was not the bullet.  The issue was where it came from.  By suggesting that Specter was deliberately not asking him to identify CE399 because Tomlinson would say it was a different bullet you are suggesting that Specter was trying to prevent the Commission from concluding there was a conspiracy.  The evidence shows otherwise.  David Belin wrote in his book Final Disclosure that they were all trying to find evidence of a conspiracy.

According to CE2011 Wright did not say that CE399 was not the bullet he held.

You keep relying on CE2011 despite the fact that SA Odum is on record saying that he never showed CE399 to Tomlinson and Wright.

CE2011 also doesn't match with SAC Dallas Gorden Shanklin's airtel. CE2011 is a fabrication by the FBI!

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2023, 01:44:34 AM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #215 on: March 15, 2023, 01:48:04 AM »
This is not an area of the case I've given that much thought to in the past but my understanding of the evidence as it stands leads me to really suspect that CE399 was introduced into the evidence chain at some point.
As I don't believe Oswald actually took the shots that day I am, by default, a Conspiracy Theorist. For Lone Nutters it's plain sailing, your narrative has been provided for you, your thinking has been done for you and, although there may be small variations in specific details, the outcome is set in stone. As a Cter I am part of a spectrum of thinking that ranges from eminently sensible through to I'm-riding-a-unicorn-to-my-nearest-mothership.
I'm a minimalist, that is to say, things happened as per the official narrative except it wasn't Oswald who took the shots. Even this leads to massive, unprovable assumptions.
But now I find myself being dragged into a much larger conspiracy and I find I have to play Devil's Advocate against myself!
The arguments I've presented in the last few pages are leading me to suspect FBI agent Elmer Todd as the person who introduced CE399 into the chain of custody. This leads to a massive problem as far as a conspiracy is concerned:

If CE399 is introduced into the chain of custody at the FBI lab in Washington on the evening of the 22nd, how is this possible if the rifle this bullet was fired from didn't get to the same FBI lab until the morning of the 23rd?

It seems beyond unlikely that Todd had a slightly distorted bullet on his person that could be matched to the MC. As Andrew has already pointed out, it is the completely random discovery of a bullet at Parkland that has led to the possibility that CE399 could be introduced in the first place.
The idea that Todd had this slightly distorted bullet on him just in case someone found a random bullet at Parkland is a non-starter.

I've no doubt the Unicorn Crew will have an instant solution to this problem.
But I'm not in a position where I can say "Wow, that's such a difficult question to answer I might as well ignore what the evidence is actually saying."
Maybe Wright is wrong or lying when he says the bullet had a pointed tip.
Maybe Thompson misunderstood or lied about what Wright actually said.
Maybe Johnsen didn't know he was supposed to initial the bullet.
Maybe Rowley didn't know he was supposed to initial the bullet.
Maybe Tomlinson genuinely forgot what CE399 looked like.
Maybe Wright genuinely forgot what CE399 looked like.
Maybe Johnsen genuinely forgot what CE399 looked like.
Maybe Rowley genuinely forgot what CE399 looked like.
Maybe a bullet passing through two men, smashing bones on the way, doesn't leave a trace on the bullet.
Maybe a bullet can just fall out of a persons body.
Maybe Specter genuinely forgot to ask Tomlinson about the bullet.
Maybe, maybe, maybe...

On one hand, the evidence strongly suggests CE399 was introduced into the chain of custody, on the other, how could anyone have known that it needed to be introduced into the chain of custody.