Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Succession  (Read 7739 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: Succession
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2022, 09:54:56 PM »
Advertisement
Perhaps I read. in another book that LBJ thought that Mc Cormack was planning to be sworn in, and that had him soiling his skivvies..... But I thought it was in The Death Of A President....

Probably another book. But if I encounter anything like that I will let you know.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2022, 09:54:56 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2022, 10:33:08 PM »
Enlighten me by quoting your source instead of playing a thousand questions.  I didn't see anything in the OP to support what you have suggested

Meanwhile, six months later, we're still waiting on a single iota of evidence for "Richard's" claim that Oswald was on the sixth floor at 12:30 and went down the northwest staircases in 75 seconds without being seen or heard by at least 12 people along the way.

A. Single. Iota.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 10:34:42 PM by John Iacoletti »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2022, 07:18:21 PM »
 ::)

Oswald saw them first. Duh.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2022, 07:18:21 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2022, 11:22:46 PM »
::)

Oswald saw them first. Duh.

And there weren't twelve people eye-locked on the backstairs, with all that was still happening outside (sirens, people ducking).

I think they went to the Micheal Griffith School of Histrionics.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2022, 06:27:15 AM »
At least they didn’t go to the Jerry Organ school of “it could have happened, therefore it did happen”.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2022, 06:27:15 AM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2022, 09:45:22 AM »
And there weren't twelve people eye-locked on the backstairs, with all that was still happening outside (sirens, people ducking).

I think they went to the Micheal Griffith School of Histrionics.

Who were 'The12' (shoutout to Killing Eve btw). Surely they made noise as did Oswald, except he had good reason to be quiet on those stairs, while the others might just as well have been mannequins. By the way tests show 'the First 48' (seconds) could have been a factor while 'the First 59' (years) seem to be still too soon. Oswald Arse Kissers better back those chuckwagons up if they're fixin' to claim some sort of truth on mere estimations. No stopwatches, no evidence. Yet Garner's 'if he had been there I would have seen him' draws no fire from our Atheist friends.

Garner claims utter chaos, people running everywhere. By comparison, read any CTer and you'd think Oswald was in a freakin' library.
One's eyebrows remain raised.

Bill Chapman
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 09:54:25 AM by Bill Chapman »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2022, 04:58:52 PM »

12:36 P.M. is when LBJ entered Parkland Hospital. Manchester is mainly referring to LBJ’s actions (and lack of actions) while at the hospital. The so called “wink” was supposedly at LBJ, not by LBJ.

I was referring to LBJs action's after he commandeered the President's airplane (AF-1).... And incidentally it makes no difference what John Mc Cormack was actually doing.....  LBJ THOUGHT that Mc Cormack was preparing to be sworn in as the acting President, and he was desperate.  I believe that LBJ placed a call to RFK to inform Bobby that his brother had been murdered and tell him that he was going to be sworn in as the new President.      You may recall that RFK had previously told LBJ that The Speaker of the House John Mc Cormack was to assume the duties of the office of the President until a new man could be elected to don the cloak of the President.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2022, 04:58:52 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2022, 05:39:11 PM »
I was referring to LBJs action's after he commandeered the President's airplane (AF-1).... And incidentally it makes no difference what John Mc Cormack was actually doing.....  LBJ THOUGHT that Mc Cormack was preparing to be sworn in as the acting President, and he was desperate.  I believe that LBJ placed a call to RFK to inform Bobby that his brother had been murdered and tell him that he was going to be sworn in as the new President.      You may recall that RFK had previously told LBJ that The Speaker of the House John Mc Cormack was to assume the duties of the office of the President until a new man could be elected to don the cloak of the President.

I disagree with:

1. LBJ thought McCormack was preparing to be sworn in as president.

How the heck would LBJ know anything of the sort? I do remember that the AP (I believe it was) reported that LBJ had also been shot. If LBJ happened to see that on the TV in Air Force One (I haven’t seen anything that leads me to believe that he did though…) he would know it wasn’t true. And LBJ would also know that any swearing in of McCormack would have no legal consequences because the constitution spells out the order of succession.

2.  I believe that LBJ placed a call to RFK to inform Bobby that his brother had been murdered and tell him that he was going to be sworn in as the new President.

RFK was already aware of the death of JFK by the time he talked to LBJ. Here’s another snip from “The Death of a President” by William Manchester:

…he accordingly placed a call to Robert Kennedy in Virginia, and moments later the white phone at the shallow end of Hickory Hill’s swimming pool rang.

Johnson was not J. Edgar Hoover. He was a man of tact and sensitivity. He began by expressing his condolences. But he had just become the busiest man in the world, and after a few compassionate sentences he plunged into business. The murder, he said, “might be part of a world-wide plot.” In Johnson’s statement to the Warren Commission seven and a half months later he suggested that the Attorney General had agreed with this interpretation and had “discussed the practical problems at hand—problems of special urgency because we did not at that time have any information as to the motivation of the assassination or its possible implications.” In fact, Kennedy was unresponsive. He was not among those who suspected a grand conspiracy, and he didn’t understand what Johnson was talking about.

“A lot of people down here think I should be sworn in right away,” said the new President, moving closer to the point. “Do you have any objection to that?”

Kennedy was taken aback. It was scarcely an hour and a quarter since he had first heard of the shooting, less than an hour since he had learned that the wound had been fatal. As Attorney General he couldn’t understand the need for a rush, and on a personal level he preferred that any investiture be deferred until his brother’s body had been brought home.

“Congressman Albert Thomas thinks I should take the oath here,” said Johnson, citing support. There was no answer, and he pressed on. “A lot of other people feel the same way.” The phone by the pool remained silent. Kennedy did not dissent; he said nothing. Changing to another tack, Johnson again referred to the plot, and then he requested information. According to Youngblood he asked “questions about who, when, and how he should take the Presidential oath.” Kennedy heard, “Who could swear me in?”

“I’ll be glad to find out and call you back,” he answered.

He depressed his receiver and asked the operator for Nick Katzenbach. It was 3 P.M. in Washington, according to Katzenbach’s secretary’s log, when, for the first time since the assassination, Robert Kennedy talked to his Deputy Attorney General. According to Katzenbach, Kennedy’s voice was “matter-of-fact, flat.” He told Nick, “Lyndon wants to be sworn in in Texas and wants to know who can administer the oath.”

Katzenbach said, “Bob, I’m absolutely stunned.” There was no reply. He said, “My recollection is that anyone can administer the oath who administers oaths under federal or state laws. Do you want to hold on while I check?”

Bob did, and using another Justice line Nick called Harold Reis in the Department’s Office of Legal Counsel.

“That’s right,” said Reis. He reminded Katzenbach that Coolidge had been sworn in by his own father, a justice of the peace, and he added, “Of course, the oath’s in the Constitution.”

He was the man Johnson should have been talking to. Telling the Deputy Attorney General was not necessary, but telling the new President was. What was required was someone with a gift for explaining the obvious. Actually, it wasn’t as obvious as it appeared to be; a great many eminent attorneys, Robert Kennedy among them, were so shaken that they had forgotten where they could lay their hands on the oath. Reis’s instincts were better than he knew. It may have been like pointing out to the Washington Redskins that they were entitled to four downs, but if the Redskin quarterback forgot, somebody would have to come to his rescue. No one had come to Johnson’s, and waiting for the Attorney General to phone back he was using other lines in an attempt to find out what was in any copy of The World Almanac.

3.    You may recall that RFK had previously told LBJ that The Speaker of the House John Mc Cormack was to assume the duties of the office of the President until a new man could be elected to don the cloak of the President

Sorry, but I don’t recall anything of the sort. And I think that your idea is (as usual) not based in reality.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 05:42:33 PM by Charles Collins »