Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: David Lifton has died  (Read 7371 times)

Offline Paul May

David Lifton has died
« on: December 08, 2022, 09:54:37 PM »
Advertisement
David S. Lifton (born September 20, 1939 and died December 5, 2022) was an American author who wrote the 1981 bestseller Best Evidence: Disguise and Deception in the Assassination of John F. Kennedy, a work that puts forth evidence that the alteration of the President's body to create a false story about how he was murdered was a planned part of the conspiracy to assassinate John F. Kennedy.

I met David several times. We had dinner in LA in the late 80’s. David had called me and asked was I at anytime employed by CIA. It was a long conversation. We met for dinner. We remained distant friends. David had never married devoting his life to the JFK event. RIP David.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 01:10:00 AM by Paul May »

JFK Assassination Forum

David Lifton has died
« on: December 08, 2022, 09:54:37 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

Re: David Lifton has died
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 11:08:20 PM »
Lifton was one of the legendary First-Generation researchers. His 1967 Ramparts article was a real achievement.

In "Best Evidence", he said he kept aspects of his theory from the HSCA. A lost chance for vetting. Harrison Livingstone would later challenge the theory.

Lifton was a gentleman from a time when neighbors met for conversation and people dressed nice in public.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 11:23:41 PM by Jerry Organ »

Offline Paul May

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 11:18:57 PM »
Lifting was one of the legendary First-Generation researchers. His 1967 Ramparts article was a real achievement.

In "Best Evidence", he said he kept aspects of his theory from the HSCA. A lost chance for vetting. Harrison Livingstone would later challenge the theory.

Lifton was a gentleman from a time when neighbors met for conversation and people dressed nice in public.

David was very much a gentleman yet, he had another side to him as many people do. With the advent of the internet, he often went ballistic with researchers when his theories were challenged. I once suggested to him in a phone call that history is debated, not argued and he would be better served maintaining his composure. His response: “f—k you Paul”. That was David. He and I agreed on very little yet we had some laughs.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 11:18:57 PM »

Offline W. Tracy Parnell

• W. Tracy Parnell Debunking JFK Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 02:38:43 AM »

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 02:59:15 AM »

I met David several times. We had dinner in LA in the late 80’s. David had called me and asked was I at anytime employed by CIA. . . .

I hope you told him that you weren't sure if you were authorized to answer that question. And then 45 minutes after you two parted called him back to say that, no, you were never employed by the CIA.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 02:59:15 AM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 03:03:34 AM »
A brief tribute:

http://wtracyparnell.blogspot.com/2022/12/a-tribute-to-david-lifton.html

Wow. That's wonderful, Tracy. I feel there's a huge void with Lifton gone and hope his unpublished work makes it through. I read the powerful "Best Evidence" and was onboard for awhile.

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 01:49:28 PM »
Lifton was one of the legendary First-Generation researchers. His 1967 Ramparts article was a real achievement.

If you go outside in Toronto these days, may I suggest bullet-proofing your haberdashery
And stabbing seems all the rage there these days. And I don't mean just your Covid/flu shots.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 01:49:28 PM »

Online Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 03:05:19 PM »
Since this is a sort of remembrance post/thread I'll limit my comment to say I remain completely baffled that a obviously smart man like Mr. Lifton, a man who to his credit recognized early on and then openly denounced the abuses of the disgraceful Jim Garrison, could believe what he theorized. I exchanged a handful of posts with him over the years and he was gracious and formal; nothing over the top or ugly, no name calling.

To propose what he did - I'm sure everyone knows his theory - is...well, how can you begin to think that's possible? Based on the flimsiest of evidence he found? He correctly warned about "confirmation bias", something we all fall for. And yet this? It's a mystery.

Anyway, condolences to his friends and family as they and we shuffle on this mortal coil.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 07:59:12 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »