Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswald's Motive  (Read 17337 times)

Offline Jon Banks

Re: Oswald's Motive
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2022, 02:39:36 AM »
Advertisement
LHO’s calmness while in police custody was enough out of character that both Marina and Robert Oswald thought it was significant. Here’s a snip from a Washington Post article that describes his out of character calmness before the assassination. I think that Mailer’s comparison to what some combat soldiers experience before combat is interesting.

Now, months later, after putting Junie to bed he asked Marina if he could help her wash the dinner dishes — again, out of character. In recounting the scene, Mailer wrote, “Oswald has reached that zone of serenity that some men attain before combat, when anxiety is deep enough to feel like quiet exaltation: You are finally going into an action that will be equal in dimension to the importance of your life.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/10/25/jfks-assassin-lee-harvey-oswalds-eerie-calm-the-day-before-he-pulled-the-trigger/

Lee Oswald was reportedly calm after his arrest in New Orleans in the summer of 1963 too.

Maybe the guy didn’t get rattled easily.

I think you’re reading too much into it…

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2022, 02:39:36 AM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2022, 11:25:46 AM »
Lee Oswald was reportedly calm after his arrest in New Orleans in the summer of 1963 too.

Maybe the guy didn’t get rattled easily.

I think you’re reading too much into it…

It isn’t just me, its the people who knew LHO. But if you consider that LHO spent time in the brig while he was in the USMC, it could be that he learned from that experience.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2022, 08:45:15 PM »
The mostly intact bullet, CE399, is not consistent with the number of bullet fragments found in Governor Connally (some fragments were removed from his wrist while he died with other fragments never being removed).

David Belin, “November 22, 1963: You Are The Jury”, pages 317-318:

There was much comment after the assassination about whether the nearly whole bullet could have caused all the damage to Governor Connally, because X-rays showed metallic fragments in the wrist, whereas the bullet itself, Exhibit 399, weighed only one and one-half to three grains less than an ordinary bullet. Dr Gregory put such speculation to rest with the following testimony:

Mr. Spector.  Will you describe as specifically as you can what those metallic fragments are by way of size and shape, sir?
Dr. Gregory.  I would identify these fragments as varying from five-tenths of a millimeter in diameter to approximately 2 millimeters in diameter, and each fragment is no more than a half millimeter in thickness.
They would represent in lay terms flakes, flakes of metal.
Mr. Spector.  What would your estimate be as to their weight in total?
Dr. Gregory.  I would estimate that they would be weighed in micrograms which is very small amount of weight. I don’t know how to reduce it to ordinary equivalents for you. It is the kind of weighing that requires a micro adjustable scale, which means that it is something less than the weight of a postage stamp.

I googled to find the average weight of a postage stamp and here is what I found:

A used average size US commemorative weighs 1.1 grains.

From the same Belin Book, page 322 (Dr. Shires is referring to Connally’s thigh wound):

Mr. Spector.  What would your best estimate be as to the size of that fragment?
Dr Shires.  One millimeter in diameter - one to two.
Mr. Spector.  Would you have any estimate as to how much that might weigh in grains?
Dr. Shires.  In grains - a fraction of a grain, maybe, a tenth of a grain - very small.

David Belin, “November 22, 1963: You Are The Jury”, page324:

Most important of all, the testimony of Dr. Gregory and Dr. Shires was unequivocal on the amount of bullet fragments that remained in Governor Connally’s wrist and in his thigh. The amount was infinitesimally small - a measurement in “micrograms,” which are thousandths of a grain - there are 7,000 grains in an ounce. However, to a third party inspecting X-rays, such as Dr. Shaw, the opaque showing on the X-rays would give the impression of a substantially larger amount of fragments. This is of crucial importance in determining whether the nearly whole bullet found at Parkland Memorial Hospital caused all the damage.

It appears to me that the two doctors tell us that the estimated total weight of all of the metallic fragments seen in Connally is something less than 1.2 grains. Whereas CE 399 lost an estimated total of 1.5 to 3 grains.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2022, 08:45:15 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2022, 12:45:18 AM »
A suspect’s behavior before and after the crime is evidence. Fleeing the scene is but one example.

And “fleeing” is a loaded term that’s an example of your preexisting bias.

Notwithstanding your opinion, Robert Oswald, Marina Oswald, and several law enforcement officers and investigators all thought his calmness was significant.

And their opinion that it’s “significant” isn’t evidence of anything either.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2022, 12:51:44 AM »
LHO’s calmness while in police custody was enough out of character that both Marina and Robert Oswald thought it was significant.

And yet Oswald’s lack of calmness in the theater and in front of Brewer’s store is also seen as “evidence” of his guilt for murder. Like I said, no matter what he does, it’s guilt.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2022, 12:51:44 AM »

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2022, 04:44:53 AM »

David Belin, “November 22, 1963: You Are The Jury”, pages 317-318:

The broken chain of custody and the lack of damage to the bullet that supposedly stuck both JFK and Connally, are the main reasons that I have doubts about CE399. I appreciate your citations but it doesn't change my mind.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2022, 11:18:21 AM »
The broken chain of custody and the lack of damage to the bullet that supposedly stuck both JFK and Connally, are the main reasons that I have doubts about CE399. I appreciate your citations but it doesn't change my mind.

I didn’t expect to change your mind. But if someone with an open mind reads this, perhaps they will understand.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2022, 11:18:21 AM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2022, 12:42:31 PM »

And their opinion that it’s “significant” isn’t evidence of anything either.

Character evidence is evidence. Pertinence and relevance of the character evidence might be to show a state of mind.