Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswald's Motive  (Read 17340 times)

Offline John Iacoletti

Re: Oswald's Motive
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2022, 08:24:03 PM »
Advertisement
Did they all start from a lone assassin view and reject contradictory evidence?

Yes.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2022, 08:24:03 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2022, 01:51:44 PM »
Oswald got what he deserved

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2022, 02:38:59 PM »
Oswald got what he deserved
Sorry, no. Even the worst of people - child killers? what's worse? - deserve a fair trial, due process. If you accept vigilantism here, in this case, how do you stop it tomorrow? If it's you?

There's a scene from the movie "Man For All Seasons" where More defends the rule of law. Even the devil deserves it; because if you remove the rule of law where do you go when you're the one being sought? And by the Devil himself? The law protects both the Devil and you. Besides, had we had a trial I am absolutely sure that we wouldn't be here. Oswald would have, implicitly if not explicitly, confessed. Sure the "Oswald was brainwashed by MK-Ultra" types would defend him but they would be in the Holocaust denial/911 Truthers far fringe.

Here's the critical exchange:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 03:09:41 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2022, 02:38:59 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2022, 03:43:48 PM »
In his December 9, 1963 Dan Smoot Report, Dan writes that: “Oswald was a psychotic misanthrope.” After studying the case for many years, I think that he may have been right.

« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2022, 04:01:12 PM »
In his December 9, 1963 Dan Smoot Report, Dan writes that: “Oswald was a psychotic misanthrope.” After studying the case for many years, I think that he may have been right.
Hmm, I think he had moral agency; he wasn't driven by voices or demons. But he wasn't a normal person. Below is from the Nechiporenko book on Oswald at the Soviet Embassy. This is a man with a persecution complex, someone who feels his life is in danger. That might be a form of psychosis I guess. I'll leave the psychoanalysis to others.

Of course the conspiracy believers will say this was an impersonator, it was the CIA framing him. Round-and-round we go.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 04:06:43 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2022, 04:01:12 PM »

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2022, 04:13:59 PM »
Hmm, I think he had moral agency; he wasn't driven by voices or demons. But he wasn't a normal person. Below is from the Nechiporenko book on Oswald at the Soviet Embassy. This is a man with a persecution complex, someone who feels his life is in danger. Of course the conspiracy believers will say this was an impersonator, it was the CIA framing him. Round-and-round we go.

I don't believe that Oswald really intended to go back to Russia. It is clear based on his personal writings and things he told to people close to him that he disliked life in the Soviet Union.

We don't know what the true intentions of his mysterious trip to Mexico City were and may never know.

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2022, 04:28:17 PM »
Sorry, no. Even the worst of people - child killers? what's worse? - deserve a fair trial, due process. If you accept vigilantism here, in this case, how do you stop it tomorrow? If it's you?

There's a scene from the movie "Man For All Seasons" where More defends the rule of law. Even the devil deserves it; because if you remove the rule of law where do you go when you're the one being sought? And by the Devil himself? The law protects both the Devil and you. Besides, had we had a trial I am absolutely sure that we wouldn't be here. Oswald would have, implicitly if not explicitly, confessed. Sure the "Oswald was brainwashed by MK-Ultra" types would defend him but they would be in the Holocaust denial/911 Truthers far fringe.

Here's the critical exchange:

'Oswald had no chance to defend himself', said some Oswald apologist
Well, neither did Kennedy

What went around came around
RIP Officer Tippit
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 04:43:49 PM by Bill Chapman »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2022, 04:28:17 PM »

« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2022, 04:46:01 PM »
'Oswald had no chance to defend himself', said some Oswald apologist
Well, neither did Kennedy

What went around came around
RIP Officer Tippit
And what happened to JFK - an injustice - calls for or justifies another injustice? If what happened to JFK was wrong, as it was, does that justify another one? This is what More meant above. If you toss out the rule of law in one case, make an exception, then how do you prevent the next one?

What about other killers? Child rapists, murderers? How about the parents of a child killed? Can they kill that killer? They are victims of an injustice every bit if not more than the Kennedys. No, this is the path to anarchism and vigilantism.