Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Alternate History: JFK  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Jon Banks

Re: Alternate History: JFK
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 02:34:05 PM »
Advertisement
If JFK wasn’t killed, RFK probably wouldn’t have run for President in 1968 which means he probably wouldn’t have been killed as well.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 02:34:05 PM »

Online Sean Kneringer

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 04:55:11 PM »
I wonder if RFK would have stayed the entire eight years as AG or whether he would've bailed at some point to pursue office.

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 05:09:09 PM »
I wonder if RFK would have stayed the entire eight years as AG or whether he would've bailed at some point to pursue office.
In 1968, after JFK's second term, he would have been 43. Could he have run for president from the AG's office? Or would he need a more serious office to run from? He was so important as an enforcer/confidant for JFK that I don't see who could have replaced him as AG?

Maybe in '68 he runs for the Senate and not WH? But then who follows JFK? Assuming he has a successful second term - that's an open question - who does JFK give his support to?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 05:09:09 PM »

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 05:12:54 PM »
In 1968, after JFK's second term, he would have been 43. Could he have run for president from the AG's office? Or would he need a more serious office to run from? He was so important as an enforcer/confidant for JFK that I don't see who could have replaced him as AG?

Maybe in '68 he runs for the Senate and not WH? But then who follows JFK? Assuming he has a successful second term - that's an open question - who does JFK give his support to?

I don't see RFK running in 68' if his brother served a second term. Maybe a few years later RFK would run for President, but it would've been difficult for him politically to run while his brother was still in the White House.

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 06:36:03 PM »
I don't see RFK running in 68' if his brother served a second term. Maybe a few years later RFK would run for President, but it would've been difficult for him politically to run while his brother was still in the White House.
He leaves the AG position, say after three years?, to run. If not him then who does JFK support in '68? Clearly not LBJ but then who else? Trying to think of an alternative choice that JFK would support.

Re successful second JFK term: I think the idea that JFK would/could have simply pulled out of Vietnam after being re-elected ignores the consequences of such an act. The South falls - in a year? two? - and then the entire region goes up in flames. The people in the South flee to Cambodia, that causes internal problems for them that spill over into the entire region. The Pathet Lao and Khmer Rouge are emboldened. Remember, Khrushchev - who showed little interest in supporting Hanoi; he thought it would benefit Mao and China - was replaced in 1964. The new leadership was much more supportive of Hanoi. So an aggressive, Soviet-aligned Hanoi is in power. Can he just leave?

JFK would have had a mess to deal with; just as LBJ did. Trying to muddle through with half-measures, as LBJ tried (bombing and pause, bombing and pause, restricted bombing zones), didn't work. But a full out war, no bombing restrictions, would be a hard sell. Would JFK recognize this early on? It's all a guess.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 05:13:42 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 06:36:03 PM »