Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Running Deer Shooting at the 1908 Olympics.  (Read 4827 times)

Offline Joe Elliott

Re: Running Deer Shooting at the 1908 Olympics.
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 11:59:56 PM »
Advertisement

And a lucky Primate rafting adventure to Africa.

It was only supposed to be a 3-hour tour, a 3-hour tour….    ;)

Charles

Yes. Perhaps they were seven of them. About the minimum number for a new specie to get established, without too much inbreeding, which would likely wipe out a new colony over time. And they could never figure out how to get back home. Probably just as well since there were a bunch of rats waiting for them.

But seriously, the amount of history that can be inferred from DNA comparisons between the various species is amazing. There likely was a rafting event of very primitive primates from Eurasia to Africa, perhaps around 60 to 65 million years ago. And Rodents, for whatever reason, could not make the same voyage. And then around 25 million years ago, more advanced primates, some monkeys, made a similar voyage from Africa to South America.

By the time Rodents did reach Africa, Primates had advanced enough that they could hold their own against the Rodents. Primates (Monkeys and Apes) seem to be the primary "herbivores" of the Tropical forest canopy, while Rodents (Squirrels) seem to be the primary "herbivores" of the Temperate forest canopy.

For some reason, Primates seem to do remarkably well surviving on a tree "raft" across even hundreds of miles of ocean. This is surprising because I didn't think that Primates were very good at getting by without a good deal of fresh water. Certainly people are not able to.

Question:

Did you check out onezoom.org and find it interesting?

I think it is one of the most interesting websites around.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 12:18:44 AM by Joe Elliott »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 11:59:56 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 12:38:41 AM »
Charles

Yes. Perhaps they were seven of them. About the minimum number for a new specie to get established, without too much inbreeding, which would likely wipe out a new colony over time. And they could never figure out how to get back home. Probably just as well since there were a bunch of rats waiting for them.

But seriously, the amount of history that can be inferred from DNA comparisons between the various species is amazing. There likely was a rafting event of very primitive primates from Eurasia to Africa, perhaps around 60 to 65 million years ago. And Rodents, for whatever reason, could not make the same voyage. And then around 25 million years ago, more advanced primates, some monkeys, made a similar voyage from Africa to South America.

By the time Rodents did reach Africa, Primates had advanced enough that they could hold their own against the Rodents. Primates (Monkeys and Apes) seem to be the primary "herbivores" of the Tropical forest canopy, while Rodents (Squirrels) seem to be the primary "herbivores" of the Temperate forest canopy.

For some reason, Primates seem to do remarkably well surviving on a tree "raft" across even hundreds of miles of ocean. This is surprising because I didn't think that Primates were very good at getting by without a good deal of fresh water. Certainly people are not able to.

Question:

Did you check out onezoom.org and find it interesting?

I think it is one of the most interesting websites around.

Yes, thanks, that’s a great resource. Here’s a link to the information that they have for the ringtail cat:

https://www.onezoom.org/life/@Bassariscus=685106

Edit: The link works a bit different than I expected. But click on the image of the ringtail and it opens a new tab with a lot of information on the animal.   Thumb1:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 12:42:49 AM by Charles Collins »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 09:50:01 PM »

Was that in Robert’s book? In his testimony, all he mentioned was that they shot 8 cottontail rabbits between them on this outing.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 09:50:01 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2022, 09:58:12 PM »

I haven't heard anything about a cottontail rabbit. I do remember seeing jackrabbits when I was in Texas. Here's what I was referring to:

Now, we can just wait until some clown tries to say the photo of LHO with a rifle is faked....   ;D

Why would anybody claim that the photo of LHO is faked? Paranoid much?

In fact, if nothing else, the photo shows that Oswald was photographed, more than once, holding a rifle and we know for a fact that he did not own that rifle!

What you should take away from that (but likely won't) is that the BY photos do not prove that Oswald owned a rifle. They only show that he was holding one!

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 11:31:41 PM »
Was that in Robert’s book? In his testimony, all he mentioned was that they shot 8 cottontail rabbits between them on this outing.

Yes, from Robert’s book. I don’t remember seeing anything about them shooting at Peter Cottontail in his book.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 11:31:41 PM »