Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Finally Watched Oliver Stone's "JFK Revisited"  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Michael T. Griffith

Finally Watched Oliver Stone's "JFK Revisited"
« on: August 06, 2022, 09:00:34 PM »
Advertisement
This week I finally got around to watching Oliver Stone's new documentary JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass. I had put off watching it because I feared it would be the same frustrating 50/20/30 mix of good information, exaggeration, and erroneous information that his movie JFK was. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that it is virtually inerrant and also entertaining. It is rock solid on every issue relating to the assassination.

I was also pleased to see that it is largely devoid of liberal political preaching. Even its segment on JFK and Vietnam is not abrasively liberal.

JFK Assassination Forum

Finally Watched Oliver Stone's "JFK Revisited"
« on: August 06, 2022, 09:00:34 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

Re: Finally Watched Oliver Stone's "JFK Revisited"
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 09:22:19 PM »
It's like a Trump endorsement. Maintain the gaslighting. :D

Offline Gerry Down

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 10:23:01 PM »
I was also pleased to see that it is largely devoid of liberal political preaching. Even its segment on JFK and Vietnam is not abrasively liberal.

I think that was because Oliver Stone and Jim D are not far left liberals. I think they might even be considered somewhat conservative.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 10:23:01 PM »

Offline Michael T. Griffith

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 12:49:42 PM »
I think that was because Oliver Stone and Jim D are not far left liberals. I think they might even be considered somewhat conservative.

I think Oliver Stone is far left, but I don't know about Jim D.

Online Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 10:33:06 PM »
If you think those people are "conservative" then I'm not sure what political yardstick you are using? I guess you can argue the so-called "horseshoe theory" of politics; that is the far right and the far left sort of merge or come together in some areas. So someone on the hard left resembles someone on the hard right.

Jim Garrison called himself a "libertarian conservative" but his view of America, of who he thought ran the country (the "war state"), sounded exactly like that of the New Left of the 1970s, of the anti-American leftwing, and the "woke" left of today, that views the American project as thoroughly corrupt.

Oliver Stone produced a movie for HBO - "The Untold History of the United States" - that argued that the Cold War was caused solely by the policies of the US, that if we had elected Henry Wallace instead of Harry Truman in 1948 that none of the subsequent conflict would have followed. Yes, poor Uncle Joe Stalin never had a chance <g>.  That's a left wing view of US/Soviet relations. It's even further left than what a Chomsky or Zinn said. They at least were critical of both sides.

Both Stone and the DiEugenio are, in my view, on the political left. I have no idea what "conservative" view they hold. Could you give us an example?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 10:54:14 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 10:33:06 PM »

Offline Gerry Down

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 01:18:49 AM »
If you think those people are "conservative" then I'm not sure what political yardstick you are using? I guess you can argue the so-called "horseshoe theory" of politics; that is the far right and the far left sort of merge or come together in some areas. So someone on the hard left resembles someone on the hard right.

Jim Garrison called himself a "libertarian conservative" but his view of America, of who he thought ran the country (the "war state"), sounded exactly like that of the New Left of the 1970s, of the anti-American leftwing, and the "woke" left of today, that views the American project as thoroughly corrupt.

Oliver Stone produced a movie for HBO - "The Untold History of the United States" - that argued that the Cold War was caused solely by the policies of the US, that if we had elected Henry Wallace instead of Harry Truman in 1948 that none of the subsequent conflict would have followed. Yes, poor Uncle Joe Stalin never had a chance <g>.  That's a left wing view of US/Soviet relations. It's even further left than what a Chomsky or Zinn said. They at least were critical of both sides.

Both Stone and the DiEugenio are, in my view, on the political left. I have no idea what "conservative" view they hold. Could you give us an example?

Well Stone seems mildly in favor of Russia and Putin. Russia holds conservative views on many things such as LGBT issues. That's why I thought Stone might be somewhat conservative.

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 01:36:55 AM »

Who (including a Conservative like you) doesn't want to see themselves as "Independent" and not unshakably attached to some dogma? Both JFK and Goldwater fancied themselves as "Liberal". Supposedly American Republicans and Democrats agree on 80% of things. Really, is there than much that changes in America regardless of who gets in? The Democrats contained their Left Wing by manipulating Biden into their Presidential candidacy.

Isn't that Stone being wary of Democrats? He also thought FDR had foreknowledge of the Pearl Harbor attack.

Stone did movies that were partially sympathetic to hated Republican Presidents: "Nixon" and "W". The "JFK" movie opened with Eisenhower's warning about the Military-Industrial Complex.

"Stone’s co-writer on Year of the Dragon was Michael Cimino, whose Oscar-
     winning epic The Deer Hunter was unusual for its sympathetic treatment of
     small-town working-class men whose church is central to their lives. Critic Pauline
     Kael sneered at The Deer Hunter’s “traditional isolationist message: Asia
     should be left to the Asians, and we should stay where we belong, but if we have
     to be over there we’ll show how tough we are.”

A Trumpian message, on Trump’s better days. Cimino blew up his career with the
     sprawling Heaven’s Gate, a commercial disaster that snuffed his long-dreamt-of
     goal of filming Ayn Rand’s novels The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged."

-- The American Conservative, December 4, 2020 ( Link )

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 01:36:55 AM »

Offline Tim Nickerson

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 02:06:45 AM »
It is rock solid on every issue relating to the assassination.

The rock is plaster of paris. Pretty much every claim made in the film has been thoroughly destroyed by Fred Litwin, Steve Roe, and others.