Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Umbrella Man: Suspicious  (Read 20430 times)

Offline Michael T. Griffith

Umbrella Man: Suspicious
« on: July 29, 2022, 02:05:34 AM »
Advertisement
Until very recently, I had always ignored the issue of Umbrella Man. I've never written a word about him in any of my articles or books. However, now that I've done some research on the matter, I find his actions suspicious and do not believe Louie Witt's story.

Witt's story that the umbrella was intended to protest the appeasement of Hitler by Neville Chamberlain and secondarily by JFK's father is absurd on its face. For starters, the umbrella was never considered to be a symbol of Chamberlain.

What's more, Witt's descriptions of his actions do not match the actions that we see Umbrella Man doing in the Zapruder film. Witt claimed he was just fiddling with the umbrella while trying to open it, but that is not at all what we see in the Z film. In the Z film, Umbrella Man holds his umbrella in the air and pumps it.

Another odd figure on the grassy knoll was the dark complected man (DCM). As the limo passes and while Umbrella Man is pumping his umbrella, DCM thrusts his fist up into the air.

Strangely, Umbrella Man and DCM, presumably strangers, instead of reacting with apparent horror or shock, sit down together on the curb and appear to calmly survey the scene.

In addition, enlargements of footage/photos that show DCM clearly seem to show something that looks like a radio or walkie-talkie protruding from his back pocket.

JFK Assassination Forum

Umbrella Man: Suspicious
« on: July 29, 2022, 02:05:34 AM »

Offline Gerry Down

Re: Umbrella Man: Suspicious
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 02:12:58 AM »
What's more, Witt's descriptions of his actions do not match the actions that we see Umbrella Man doing in the Zapruder film. Witt claimed he was just fiddling with the umbrella while trying to open it, but that is not at all what we see in the Z film. In the Z film, Umbrella Man holds his umbrella in the air and pumps it.

I've never seen this pumping action. I wish someone would do a gif of what they claim is a pumping action on the Zapruder film. From what I can see, the umbrella is visible for too short a time on the Zapruder film to be able to make out any pumping action.

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 02:36:32 AM »
Until very recently, I had always ignored the issue of Umbrella Man. I've never written a word about him in any of my articles or books. However, now that I've done some research on the matter, I find his actions suspicious and do not believe Louie Witt's story.

Witt's story that the umbrella was intended to protest the appeasement of Hitler by Neville Chamberlain and secondarily by JFK's father is absurd on its face. For starters, the umbrella was never considered to be a symbol of Chamberlain.

Another odd figure on the grassy knoll was the dark complected man (DCM). As the limo passes and while Umbrella Man is pumping his umbrella, DCM thrusts his fist up into the air.

Strangely, Umbrella Man and DCM, presumably strangers, instead of reacting with apparent horror or shock, sit down together on the curb and appear to calmly survey the scene.

In addition, enlargements of footage/photos that show DCM clearly seem to show something that looks like a radio or walkie-talkie protruding from his back pocket.

I think that you're on the right track, Michael....  I've long believed that the umbrella was a reminder to JFK that he left the brigade with no aircover when he pulled the "Umbrella of air cover" for the Cubans who were trying to gain a foothold at Bay Of Pigs. Those Cuban's who were under the control of the CIA blamed JFK for their failure and capture by Castro's forces. It wasn't JFK's fault at all....The CIA  was to blame for the failure...but they wouldn't accept the responsibility, and placed the blame on JFK.   John Kennedy being the kind of man he was accepted the blame....( He felt that If it happened on his watch, he was responsible )  The  red rings on the Windows of the TSBD  were also there to remind  JFK that he had betrayed the CIA trained Cuban exiles who were ashore at red beach , and needed the aircover that the CIA had promised them that JFK would provide.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 02:50:39 AM by Walt Cakebread »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 02:36:32 AM »

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 03:00:56 AM »
I've never seen this pumping action. I wish someone would do a gif of what they claim is a pumping action on the Zapruder film. From what I can see, the umbrella is visible for too short a time on the Zapruder film to be able to make out any pumping action.
Hi Gerry,
I don't think there is one film showing the umbrella pump. But in Willis5 the umbrella is close to Umbrella Man's head and in Zapruder the umbrella is raised about 12-18". The animation is a crude demonstration.
EDIT 20220731-Animation Deleted
I was wanting to show the difference in up/down umbrella positions from both Willis and Zapruder points of view. However, I left the animation in repeat mode (default for animations) which, unfortunately, showed a pumping motion that was not my intent. I do not see any evidence for what I would call a pumping motion in the Zapruder film. As such, my animation is more confusing than helpful. I will edit my post with these static frames without the animation.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 02:20:03 AM by James Hackerott »

Offline Paul J Cummings

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 03:07:49 AM »
Roy Hargraves was the Umbrella Guy and Felipe Vidal Santiago was Dark Complected Man.

https://tangodown63.com/hargraves-roy-emory/

https://tangodown63.com/vidal-santiago-felipe/

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 03:10:42 AM by Paul J Cummings »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 03:07:49 AM »

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 04:08:01 AM »

No. Neville Chamberlain was very much associated with the umbrella. He was often seen carrying on in photographs. In political cartoons he was often shown with an umbrella. After the Munich Agreement, which sold out Czechoslovakia, but was initially seen as a great success in Britain, Chamberlain received many umbrellas in the mail as gifts from his well-wishers. And after the umbrella became the main symbol of Appeasement and Joseph Kennedy, the U. S. Ambassador to Great Britain was associated with Appeasement and so it could be used as a symbol for any Kennedy, I suppose.

Remember, in 1963, 1938 was only 25 years in the past. 1938 was no more remote in the past then 1997 is today. People would remember Chamberlain as well as we remember Bill Clinton. And Joseph Kennedy’s association with him.

As Gerry Down pointed out, the “pumping action is not clear in the Zapruder film. It is shown very clearly in animations, but not in the film itself.

What is the best version of the Zapruder film (and not an animation) that clearly shows the umbrella being pumped?

DCM does not thrust his fist up into the air. In frame 228, he clearly has his hand extended, like he is waving.

I guess DCM sat down on the curb with the radio or walkie-talkie still in his back pocket.

Actually, Umbrella Man and DCM might not have seen JFK’s head explode.

It appears none of the witnesses along the street, reacted in anyway, or realized any shots had been fired, until the result of the z312 head shot. And then, only if they were looking at JFK at the time. We don’t know if Umbrella Man and DCM were still looking at z312. The limousine by then was 75 feet past them. Jean Hill looked away from the limousine as soon as it passed her, to look at the other limousines and celebrities, I assume. In any case, she looked away. Umbrella Man and DCM may have done the same.

If so, it seems logical that they might observe others reacting strangely and decide to sit down and compare notes to try to figure out what had just happened.

In general, you need to provide a link to the best film, or best photograph, that shows the things you claim are in the Zapruder film. The Umbrella being ‘pumped’. A fist in the air. A radio in the back pocket.

All that is gold does not glitter. But all those who wander with false claims are lost.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 04:12:10 AM by Joe Elliott »

Offline Paul J Cummings

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 04:34:38 AM »
Go to https://tangodown63.com/

I've already posted above it was Feilpe Vidal Santiago. If you look at his pictures at the bottom of the page one shows him putting the radio in the back of his pants.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 04:39:34 AM by Paul J Cummings »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 04:34:38 AM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 05:02:28 AM »

All that is gold does not glitter. But all those who wander with false claims are lost.
What does that have to do with the Umbrella Man?
Fact ...Just after he has raised the umbrella.. a shot is fired and a bullet strikes JFK in the head.
His neighbor ..the dark fellow throws his hand up and then down at the same time in a typical ready... aim... firing squad gesture.
It does appear that dark guy may be fiddling with a walkie-talky in various stills.
Who cares if Chamberlain is associated with an umbrella?...There was no other such gesture photographed or documented in the Kennedy's entire political life.
It certainly took some imagination to come up with that one  :-\
Both men sit down for a brief chat and without seemingly any further interest stand calmly up and disappear.
Neither are ever heard from.
The nearest spectators to the president's final breath and then they gone like the mist.