Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The Position of the Bolt on the MC  (Read 32862 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: The Position of the Bolt on the MC
« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2022, 11:14:52 AM »
Advertisement
https://www.jfk-assassination.net/russ/jfkinfo3/exhibits/ce718.jpg

The piece of white paper on the floor beneath the stock of the rifle is different in the two photos....and the butt of the rifle is directly below the corner of the cardboard box above it.....while in the other photo the corner of that box is about half wat up the stock ( about seven inches back from the rear of the CLOSED bolt.

No, the camera angle is different. The paper is the same. The rifle hasn’t moved. And I don’t believe that the bolt is visible.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2022, 11:14:52 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #225 on: July 30, 2022, 01:36:29 PM »

No, the camera angle is different. The paper is the same. The rifle hasn’t moved. And I don’t believe that the bolt is visible.

So we disagree once more.... Nothing new or unusual about that....

Do you believe the scope is visible, and if so, how much of the scope can be seen?

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2022, 01:46:31 PM »
I found it here:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1967/06/10/the-buffs

Jim I don't believe the display of the items is authentic....   Some of those items were /are in the national archives  ( the cartridges for example) and they would not be displayed on a display board....

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2022, 01:46:31 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2022, 03:03:42 PM »

the camera angle is different.

Yes , that's obvious..... But when aligning the vertical edge of the box above the rifle it's obvious that the rifle is not in the same place in both photos.  The reason I posted the link to the other photo was so a viewer could compare the two photos easily.  The photo with Fritz's leg in it shows the corner of the vertical edge of the box is aligned with the metal butt plate of the rifle on the floor.  IOW...If a plumb bob was hung from the top SW corner of that box...... The bob would strike the floor near the butt plate of the rifle.  If the same exercise was performed on the other photo ( No leg in the photo)  the bob would strike the floor about 4 inches forward of the butt plate.  Obviously the rifle is not in the same place in both photos.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 03:17:34 PM by Walt Cakebread »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2022, 03:49:17 PM »
So we disagree once more.... Nothing new or unusual about that....

Do you believe the scope is visible, and if so, how much of the scope can be seen?

Here are two images. The first one is a pertinent cropped portion of the DPD photos in which I have drawn a yellow arrow pointing to the back of the scope. Notice that the back of the scope is almost directly above the back of the groove in the stock.

The second image is a crop of the photo of CE-139. Notice that the back of the scope is almost directly above the end of the groove in the stock (see arrow).

The image you posted from the Alyea film simply doesn't show enough of the rifle to show the area where the back of the scope and the end of the groove in the stock are. So the answer to your question is "no".

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2022, 03:49:17 PM »

Offline Zeon Mason

« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2022, 04:03:23 PM »
As I understand it, if the bolt was not locked by rotating the bolt handle down, then there no way the extractor will be able to pull the round out of the chamber if the bolt is retracted.

So one question is if when the non locked bolt was retracted with the rifle in a vertical position (barrel up) would the round slide out of the chamber due to gravity, or remain in the chamber?

Certainly around would remain in the chamber if the rifle were held horizontally while the unlocked bolt is retracted yes?

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2022, 04:41:31 PM »

Here are two images. The first one is a pertinent cropped portion of the DPD photos in which I have drawn a yellow arrow pointing to the back of the scope. Notice that the back of the scope is almost directly above the back of the groove in the stock.

The second image is a crop of the photo of CE-139. Notice that the back of the scope is almost directly above the end of the groove in the stock (see arrow).

The image you posted from the Alyea film simply doesn't show enough of the rifle to show the area where the back of the scope and the end of the groove in the stock are. So the answer to your question is "no".

Compare the piece of paper on the floor beneath the rifle....Is it the same in both photos??
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 04:46:04 PM by Walt Cakebread »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2022, 04:41:31 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2022, 05:00:07 PM »

Compare the piece of paper on the floor beneath the rifle....Is it the same in both photos??

Yes, I believe it is the same.