Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The Position of the Bolt on the MC  (Read 32916 times)

Online James Hackerott

Re: The Position of the Bolt on the MC
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2022, 01:51:17 AM »
Advertisement
Here is an animated GIF of Day lifting the rifle up off the floor. These frames are taken from The Lost JFK Tapes DVD. They are some of the clearest images that I have seen. Sadly, the film sequence starts after Day already has the rifle up a significant distance from the floor. So, we do not get to see it laying flat like one of the other videos posted earlier in this thread appears to show.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I now believe that the bolt is not in the fully up position. This is apparent to me due to seeing these clearer images depicting the rifle in motion. Take a look at the distance between the bolt handle knob and the scope. I will try to get some other image to compare this distance with. Perhaps the video of the blabbermouth demonstrating an identical model of the rifle with an identical scope will help in this regard. Please feel free to voice your opinions. Thanks!
Great animation Charles. I think you will like that DVD. I tried last night to make a 3D image (cyan/red anaglyph, not model) but still could not be sure of the amount of rotation of the handle. This looks like a challenging 3D model project, but beyond my abilities.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2022, 01:51:17 AM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2022, 05:11:25 AM »
Here is an animated GIF of Day lifting the rifle up off the floor. These frames are taken from The Lost JFK Tapes DVD. They are some of the clearest images that I have seen. Sadly, the film sequence starts after Day already has the rifle up a significant distance from the floor. So, we do not get to see it laying flat like one of the other videos posted earlier in this thread appears to show.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I now believe that the bolt is not in the fully up position. This is apparent to me due to seeing these clearer images depicting the rifle in motion. Take a look at the distance between the bolt handle knob and the scope. I will try to get some other image to compare this distance with. Perhaps the video of the blabbermouth demonstrating an identical model of the rifle with an identical scope will help in this regard. Please feel free to voice your opinions. Thanks!

I posted this image earlier in the thread, it shows that the safety is not quite aligned with the slot it is supposed to fit in to meaning the bolt handle must be up in the "fully up" position.

The images of Day picking the rifle up in no way demonstrates the bolt handle is not fully up, if anything it's quite the reverse.
The bolt handle is clearly sticking up, there can be no doubt about that. That the safety is not aligned with its slot means the bolt handle is fully up and that the bolt is not fully forward.
If, after the last shot, the bolt is pushed forward in the usual quick and fluid fashion, the bolt would be fully forward so the bolt handle would have no problem latching downwards with the bolt handle fitting snugly against the body of the rifle.
The best explanation for the position of the bolt in the Alyea footage is that the bolt is jammed. What would cause this?
Walt's explanation, that the ejector has not properly engaged with the bullet and is jammed up against it, seems most plausible. This would account for the very small misalignment.
But what would cause the ejector not to engage with the bullet? Normal use?
Or manually inserting a single bullet into the chamber?

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2022, 11:57:24 AM »
The bolt handle appears to be in the full up position.   Using the butt plate as reference, The bolt handle is fully up.

Thanks for the input.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2022, 11:57:24 AM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2022, 12:07:18 PM »
Great animation Charles. I think you will like that DVD. I tried last night to make a 3D image (cyan/red anaglyph, not model) but still could not be sure of the amount of rotation of the handle. This looks like a challenging 3D model project, but beyond my abilities.

Thanks James, I do like the DVD. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Yes, the angles involved make this very challenging. The handle is clearly not fully latched (in the down position) as it appeared to me earlier in one of the images. But is it fully up as far as it can go? After looking at it again with “fresh eyes”, it appears to me to be close to fully up. And, if it is part-way down, I doubt that we would be able to discern such a small difference. Even with an actual identical rifle simulating the angles involved.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2022, 12:26:03 PM »

I posted this image earlier in the thread, it shows that the safety is not quite aligned with the slot it is supposed to fit in to meaning the bolt handle must be up in the "fully up" position.

The images of Day picking the rifle up in no way demonstrates the bolt handle is not fully up, if anything it's quite the reverse.
The bolt handle is clearly sticking up, there can be no doubt about that. That the safety is not aligned with its slot means the bolt handle is fully up and that the bolt is not fully forward.
If, after the last shot, the bolt is pushed forward in the usual quick and fluid fashion, the bolt would be fully forward so the bolt handle would have no problem latching downwards with the bolt handle fitting snugly against the body of the rifle.
The best explanation for the position of the bolt in the Alyea footage is that the bolt is jammed. What would cause this?
Walt's explanation, that the ejector has not properly engaged with the bullet and is jammed up against it, seems most plausible. This would account for the very small misalignment.

That image appears to me to be made after Fritz ejected the cartridge. So, it appears to me to be irrelevant. Also, if it were shown to be relevant, if the camera isn’t at a perfect 90-degree angle and aligned perfectly with the safety, then the angle involved will affect how the alignment with the wooden slot appears. This is because the wooden slot is closer to the camera than the metal safety.

The best explanation for the position of the bolt in the Alyea footage is that the bolt is jammed.

No it is not. There could be several other better explanations, including that it wasn’t pushed down by the gunman, that it was pushed upwards when lowered in between the boxes, that Day pushed it up while examining the knob for prints before he lifted the rifle off the floor, etc.. Also, if Walt’s theory were true, gravity (with the muzzle is pointing toward the floor) and friction would have held the cartridge in the barrel when Fritz pulled the bolt back. Therefore it would not have fallen to the floor.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2022, 12:26:03 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2022, 01:38:14 PM »
Here is an image from blabbermouth's video that is taken from a spot that is relatively close to being straight inline with the barrel. I have drawn some lines depicting the angle (~30-degrees) of the bolt handle above horizontal (note the rifle is about 2-degrees out of horizontal which I have accounted for). Also two lines that indicate the distance (?) between the knob of the handle and the scope. Compare this to the Alyea film sequence of Day lifting the rifle off the floor. I included the last frame in which the bolt handle is visible. I think this may be the best angle for comparison.

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2022, 03:27:16 PM »

Right on !....   You're totally correct, Mr O' meara .....  And I might add this image was taken just after Lt. Day picked the rifle up OF THE FLOOR ( not jammed between boxes) and BEFORE Fritz touched the rifle....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 06:28:55 PM by Walt Cakebread »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2022, 03:27:16 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2022, 03:36:19 PM »

Right on !....   Your totally correct, Mr O' meara .....  And I might add this image was taken just after Lt. Day picked the rifle up OF THE FLOOR ( not jammed between boxes) and BEFORE Fritz touched the rifle....

And I might add this image was taken just after Lt. Day picked the rifle up OF THE FLOOR ( not jammed between boxes) and BEFORE Fritz touched the rifle....

Totally wrong. The film segment is continuous from the time Day lifts it off the floor until Fritz ejects the cartridge. And it agrees with what both Day and Fritz testified.