Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Handwriting authentication  (Read 11729 times)

Offline Tim Nickerson

Re: Handwriting authentication
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2022, 11:27:35 PM »
Advertisement
Since Tim seems to respect the opinion of David Purtell:

“Photocopies have several limitations. They do not reproduce all the fine details in handwriting needed in making an examination and comparison. At best, they do not produce as sharp an image as a properly produced photograph, and they lack tonal gradations, a result of the contrasting process of reproduction. In addition, it is possible to incorporate or insert changes and alterations into copies. A method frequently used is to paste together parts of documents to make one fraudulent document, which is then copied. If the first copy can pass inspection, it will be used; if not, it will be reworked to eliminate all signs of alteration. This amended copy is then recopied for the finished product. This is usually referred to as the "cut and paste" method. Document examiners only render a qualified or conditional opinion when working from copies. They stipulate that they have to examine the original before a definite opinion will be made.”

As you are aware, from the times we spent discussing the authentication of the handwriting on the money order by the HSCA experts and others,  that is something that I have acknowledged. And I've done so many times.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2022, 11:27:35 PM »

Offline Tim Nickerson

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2022, 11:40:31 PM »
As you are aware, from the times we spent discussing the authentication of the handwriting on the money order by the HSCA experts and others,  that is something that I have acknowledged. And I've done so many times.

https://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php/topic,2613.msg94082.html#msg94082

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2022, 12:41:13 AM »
https://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php/topic,2613.msg94082.html#msg94082

So, you agree that the "absolute" conclusions by the WC "FBI experts" are at best highly questionable?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2022, 12:41:13 AM »

Offline Tim Nickerson

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2022, 03:42:33 AM »
So, you agree that the "absolute" conclusions by the WC "FBI experts" are at best highly questionable?

Nope. I do not agree.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2022, 09:03:30 AM »
So you “acknowledge” the limitations of examining a copied document, but find the opinions conclusive anyway.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2022, 09:03:30 AM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2022, 07:10:13 PM »
Nope. I do not agree.

Care to explain this obvious contradiction?

Offline Tim Nickerson

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2022, 09:15:21 PM »
Care to explain this obvious contradiction?

The conclusions of the FBI on the handwriting seen in the photograph that they made from microfilm are minorly questionable, not highly questionable.  They also made conclusions on original documents. Those conclusions are not questionable at all. 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2022, 09:15:21 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2022, 09:40:33 PM »
The conclusions of the FBI on the handwriting seen in the photograph that they made from microfilm are minorly questionable, not highly questionable.  They also made conclusions on original documents. Those conclusions are not questionable at all.

Tim,

Conclusions by experts are always questionable to some degree. In many cases the two sides will present their own experts who will provide completely contradictory conclusions about the same evidence.

That said, the conclusions they made on original documents were not the subject of this conversation. An expert can be a thousand times right on other original documents and still be wrong on a non-original. And besides, can you explain how an original signature on an original document can be authenticated to having been written by a now dead person?

And finally, whether you say that their conclusions about the Kleins' documents are "minorly" or "highly" questionable, you're only talking about the degree of questionability. In either case the bottom line is that those conclusions are in fact still questionable! Agreed?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 02:00:07 AM by Martin Weidmann »