Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: What is known about this bullet fragment?  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Jake Maxwell

What is known about this bullet fragment?
« on: May 16, 2022, 10:10:27 PM »
Advertisement

This image was found in the Digital Gallery of the UTA Libraries (Univ. of Texas at Arlington).
This appears to be up against a concrete wall...
Where exactly was this found?
The link is below...
Here are two screen shots... with library notation, indicating the photo was taken the day of the assassination...
(Have I correctly identified the fragment... and could this have come from the Carcano, if it were even fired?)

Screen-Shot-2022-05-16-at-3-37-30-PM" border="0
Screen-Shot-2022-05-16-at-3-19-51-PM" border="0
Screen-Shot-2022-05-16-at-3-18-58-PM" border="0

https://library.uta.edu/digitalgallery/sites/library.uta.edu.digitalgallery/files/10000000-10009999new/10005172.jpg

JFK Assassination Forum

What is known about this bullet fragment?
« on: May 16, 2022, 10:10:27 PM »

Offline Michael Welch

Re: What is known about this bullet fragment?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 04:19:08 AM »

Hi Jake, I do not know anything about this fragment. It looks like it could be more down by the triple underpass. I have not seen these pictures before. Great find! Keep up the great work. I only know about what has been presented lately on the forum and two complete whole bullets----one with a pointed end removed from the President's shoulder in Dallas; one bent bullet found by Naval Corpsmen in the back seat of the limousine, along with a few pieces of the President's skull; and four bullet fragments removed from the President's skull at Bethesda handled by Dennis David. There are no known pictures of these last items. Sincerely yours, Michael
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 04:21:51 AM by Michael Welch »

Offline Jake Maxwell

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 10:01:06 PM »

Hi Jake, I do not know anything about this fragment. It looks like it could be more down by the triple underpass. I have not seen these pictures before. Great find! Keep up the great work. I only know about what has been presented lately on the forum and two complete whole bullets----one with a pointed end removed from the President's shoulder in Dallas; one bent bullet found by Naval Corpsmen in the back seat of the limousine, along with a few pieces of the President's skull; and four bullet fragments removed from the President's skull at Bethesda handled by Dennis David. There are no known pictures of these last items. Sincerely yours, Michael

It would be interesting to know where this was found and who found it and what caliber bullet... etc... and if any forensics were done on it... and who took the photos... and was this noted by the WC... and how did these photos show up on the UTA Digital Gallery website...
One more mystery to unravel...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:08:52 PM by Jake Maxwell »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 10:01:06 PM »

Offline Jake Maxwell

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 04:56:47 AM »

One last time... Does anyone know anything about this bullet fragment?
Is it bogus?
Maybe this has been addressed earlier...?

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 03:41:52 AM »
Is it bogus?

That is the manhole cover on the grass infield/south side of Elm Street.

However, the photo is mislabeled.  No fragment was ever known to have been found there.

The black arrow points to the manhole cover:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 03:41:52 AM »

Offline Marjan Rynkiewicz

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 09:06:27 AM »
Is it bogus?

There is zero chance of any bullet hitting anywhere near that manhole.
Hickey's say 6 shots (at Z297 to Z313) all had a trajekt at least 10 ft to the right of the manhole (eg the first hit the kerb of Main St 23 ft from the triple underpass, ie 13 ft from Tague).
Oswald's 1st shot ricocheted offa the western side of the western guyrod holding the overhead traffic signal arm (& all of the fragments are accounted)(inside the jfklimo)(& on the back of jfk's head).
Oswald's 2nd shot was the magic bullet.

There were no other shooters at that time.
Unless a SSA fired a handgun (ie accidentally).
And unless a police-officer fired (ie accidentally).
I think that there was an undercover railway security officer (near the triple underpass)(or near the carpark picket fence), he might have had a handgun (& might have fired accidentally).

Ooops – my mistake.
Three of Hickey's 6 shots ricocheted/bounced/reflected off concrete or road pavement.
Any one of these could have gone upwards or backwards etc, & could have ended up anywhere.
Lester found a 52 grain deformed slug on the triple underpass in 1974.
Hence if Lester's slug was one of Hickey's then that leaves 2 (of the 6 shots) that could have ended up near that manhole.
But that would be highly unlikely, all of the ricochets would have been straight ahead or if hitting kerb then they would have ricocheted somewhat to the right (ie even further away from that manhole, rather than closer).

Double ooops.
The remnant slug from Oswald's 1st shot (the ricochet offa the signal arm) put a hole in the floor of the jfklimo, & probly rattled around tween the driveshaft & pavement (& was never found), & it might have ended near that manhole.
The horizontal component (ie plan view)(ie looking down from above) of that slug's traject was say 30 deg offa the general direction of that manhole.
Several witnesses witnessed something hitting pavement near the TSBD end of Elm St.
Several witnesses witnessed shots (Hickey's) hit Elm St & Main St near the triple underpass end.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 12:08:40 AM by Marjan Rynkiewicz »

Offline Jake Maxwell

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 01:19:41 AM »

However, the photo is mislabeled.  No fragment was ever known to have been found there.

I tend to think these photos are legitimate...
These two photos are documented with some detail from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Collection...
The last photo below looks like its up against a wall (but it is difficult to tell), and not at the manhole cover... and the photo with the pencil seems to have two types of grass... But again, difficult to tell...
Inquiring minds want to know!

Screen-Shot-2022-05-29-at-6-44-44-PM" border="0
Screen-Shot-2022-05-29-at-6-49-41-PM" border="0
Screen-Shot-2022-05-29-at-6-46-44-PM" border="0
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 02:51:03 AM by Jake Maxwell »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 01:19:41 AM »

Offline Jake Maxwell

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 03:03:14 PM »

And note the leaves in both bullet fragment photos…
I don’t think these leaves would be near that manhole cover...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 08:38:43 PM by Jake Maxwell »