Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: An umbrella at a Kennedy protest ... in 1961  (Read 2236 times)

Online Sean Kneringer

An umbrella at a Kennedy protest ... in 1961
« on: April 12, 2022, 12:20:59 AM »
Advertisement

JFK Assassination Forum

An umbrella at a Kennedy protest ... in 1961
« on: April 12, 2022, 12:20:59 AM »

Offline Jerry Organ

Re: An umbrella at a Kennedy protest ... in 1961
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 01:57:39 AM »
Nice find!

Seems to be a ten-ribber. like Witt's. Going by the hand holding it, the umbrella strikes me as being small.

The "umbrella" might have been the "MAGA hat" of the 1964 campaign. A fellow on an old Dallas history site claimed he saw umbrellas at the Trade Mart the day of the assassination. In the White House, Kennedy was mailed an umbrella from Bonn when the Berlin Wall was being built.

There was a trend to "pie" politicians in the 1990s and 2000s. It's rightly treated as a serious crime because one could have sharp objects or poison in the pie. I'm glad it died out.

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 10:51:36 AM »

One thing I've never understood about the umbrella thing. The words accompanying the picture say:

"The umbrella is a symbol of appeasement, in reference to the umbrella made famous by Britain's Chamberlain."

At that time, it seemed like every single English man from the middle classes up, wore a bowler hat and carried an umbrella. Umbrella's were ubiquitous, almost everyone carried one, so why it became a symbol attached to Chamberlain is baffling.
Chamberlain is infamous for returning from Germany with an "agreement" that Britain and Germany would never go to war, and waving the piece of paper it was written on:

"This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine."

The only real act representing Chamberlain's appeasement would be to wave a piece of paper at Kennedy. The umbrella thing is mystifying.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 10:51:36 AM »

Online Sean Kneringer

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 11:46:29 PM »
One of the placards mentions the military. I wonder if this was a show of support for Edwin Walker.

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 03:47:10 AM »
One thing I've never understood about the umbrella thing. The words accompanying the picture say:

"The umbrella is a symbol of appeasement, in reference to the umbrella made famous by Britain's Chamberlain."

At that time, it seemed like every single English man from the middle classes up, wore a bowler hat and carried an umbrella. Umbrella's were ubiquitous, almost everyone carried one, so why it became a symbol attached to Chamberlain is baffling.
Chamberlain is infamous for returning from Germany with an "agreement" that Britain and Germany would never go to war, and waving the piece of paper it was written on:

"This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine."

The only real act representing Chamberlain's appeasement would be to wave a piece of paper at Kennedy. The umbrella thing is mystifying.

A whole crowd of people waving papers would look pretty cool...

but just the odd guy needs something bigger and more definitive to stick out.

JohnM

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 03:47:10 AM »

Online Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 01:39:12 AM »

Chamberlain liked to carry a large black umbrella when he went out for walks, et cetera. If you search photos of him you'll see him with one in many of them.

As for the origins of the phrase: In the UK in1940 after Hitler's violation of the Munich Agreement, there was an enormously popular book titled "Guilty Men" by an anonymous author named Cato. The book condemned 15 British figures for their appeasement of Hitler. In it, Chamberlain, condemned as one of those appeasers, is referred to as "the umbrella man".

Also during the 1960 campaign, in an indirect criticism of JFK, LBJ pointedly criticized Joe Kennedy Sr. (he was intensely disliked by the liberal wing of the Democratic party) with this comment: "I wasn't any Chamberlain - an umbrella policy man...I never thought Hitler was right."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 04:19:55 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »