Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Media Today  (Read 38513 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: Media Today
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2022, 02:15:17 PM »
Advertisement
New York subway shooting suspect indicted on terrorism charge

A U.S. grand jury on Saturday indicted a man for terrorism and other charges stemming from an April 12 gunfire and smoke bomb attack that injured 23 people on the New York City subway.

The indictment in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York charged Frank James, 62, with a terrorist attack and other violence against a mass transportation system plus a count of discharging a firearm during a crime of violence.

If convicted on the terrorism charge James could be sentenced to life in prison.

Defense attorneys representing James did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

James is accused of setting off smoke bombs and opening fire inside a New York City subway car in Brooklyn, striking 10 people with gunfire and setting off a round-the-clock manhunt.

Thirteen others were injured in the frantic rush to flee the smoke-filled train, police said.

He was taken into custody some 30 hours later in lower Manhattan, about 8 miles (13 km) from the scene of the assault, after authorities determined his whereabouts with the help of tips from residents, some of whom posted sightings on social media, police said.

James, a Bronx native with recent addresses in Philadelphia and Milwaukee, had previously been charged with a criminal complaint filed by law enforcement over the attack. The more formal indictment came after prosecutors presented evidence to a grand jury.

Authorities accuse James of setting off two smoke bombs inside a subway car moments before opening fire on fellow passengers with a semi-automatic handgun. The gun, purchased in 2011, was later recovered from the scene, along with three extended-ammunition magazines, a torch, a hatchet, a bag of fireworks and a container of gasoline, according to police and court documents.

The attack followed string of violent crimes unnerving passengers in the America's largest metropolitan transit system, including instances of commuters being pushed onto subway tracks from station platforms.

The motive remained unclear. An FBI affidavit referred to a number of YouTube videos James posted addressing statements to New York City's mayor about homelessness and the subway system.

© Reuters

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2022, 02:15:17 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2022, 02:21:14 PM »
Meghan McCain fails at selling new book — her dad’s strategist explains why

GOP heiress Meghan McCain's failure to sell her new book Bad Republican was explained by the senior strategist on her father's 2008 presidential campaign.

"According to an NPD BookScan provided to Secrets, it sold just 244 copies in the first few days," The Washington Examiner reported Friday. "A book agent said the low sales were a surprise considering the celebrity status of the former View star and outspoken daughter of former Sen. John McCain."

Longtime GOP strategist Steve Schmidt said, "I can explain this" in a thread posted to Twitter.

"When I kicked [Meghan McCain] off of the 2008 McCain plane, because of her outrageous behavior, I talked to her mom and explained what was happening and why. Cindy got weepy and said 'I just want to say I raised two good sons' I said 'everyone knows you did.' My daughter was three at the time and I made a promise to myself that I would make sure that my number one priority in life would be raising a child that never acted like [Meghan McCain], a spoiled rotten, entitled bully," he wrote.

Schmidt said her personality is why her book isn't selling.

"That is why in a nation of 330 million people, 247 have bought it. Nothing new to learn," he wrote.

Schmidt responded to criticism of him posting Cindy McCain's comments.

"Why. I was a volunteer who gave up a year of my life to work for her father. I’ve been publicly lied about and abused by her for 14 years. She wrote a tell all book, not me. Why is that a secret? Is it the Esper rule? How does that work? She is a bully not a victim," he declared.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/washington-secrets/meghan-mccains-bad-republican-book-flops-too

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2022, 02:25:55 PM »
WWE legend Tammy ‘Sunny’ Sytch arrested for DUI manslaughter after fatal car crash that ‘killed 75-year-old man’

Former WWE star Tammy Sytch has been arrested for DUI manslaughter and eight other charges after allegedly causing a fatal car crash in March.

The 49-year-old star – best known to wrestling fans as Sunny – was allegedly involved in the accident in which a 75-year-old man, later identified as Julian Lafrancis Lasseter, died.

On Friday evening, Sytch was arrested and processed at Volusia County Branch Jail in Daytona Beach.

As reported by PWInsider, she is currently facing nine charges including DUI Manslaughter (DUI causing the death of a person), Driving with a suspended or revoked license (causing death or serious injury) and seven counts of DUI causing damage to a person or property.

Volusia County Branch Jail has released Sytch’s mugshot and charges, including details of her $227,500 bond.

TMZ previously reported that police suspected Sytch – who recently claimed on Twitter that she suffered a seizure before the incident – was under the influence of alcohol.

A crash report by Ormond Beach Police Department, Florida, reportedly shows that the accident happened at around 8:28 PM on March 25 on US Highway 1 in Volusia County.

Sytch is thought to have crashed her 2012 Mercedes into the back of a 2013 Kia Sorento and then into the rear of a 2011 GMC Yukon that had also stopped at a stoplight.

The driver of the vehicle she hit, identified as Julian Lafrancis Lasseter, was transported to Halifax Health Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Witnesses reportedly said Sytch – who was also taken to the hospital but later released – was ‘driving at a high rate of speed’ before crashing.

Sytch was inducted the WWE Hall of Fame in 2011 and is considered the company’s first Diva.

She has faced more legal trouble recently, being arrested in January for ‘terroristic threats and weapons possession’.

In 2015, she alleged to have suffered a seizure after a traffic accident, but she later pleaded guilty to DUI in three cases.

The following year, she claimed she agreed to the guilty plea because she was ‘blackout drunk’ during what she described as the worst relapse of her life.

In February 2019, was arrested for DUI – the sixth time she’s been arrested for the charge.

In July 2020, she was arrested on charges of eluding a police officer, violating a domestic violence restraining order and operating a vehicle during a second license suspension.

She was released on June 9, 2021, and later that month she told WrestleZone.com: ‘I am happy to be finished with my sentence and I am anxious to start the next chapter of my life. I am healthy and happy and feel great.

‘‘The incident which led to this last incarceration stemmed from some major misunderstandings. However I accept responsibility and have used this time to make a better me and put my past mistakes behind me.’

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/07/wwe-tammy-sunny-sytch-arrested-for-dui-manslaughter-after-car-crash-16602668/

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2022, 02:25:55 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2022, 02:31:18 PM »
Strong winds ground aircraft fighting 'historic fire weather event' in New Mexico

Airborne firefighters dumped water and retardants on a raging New Mexico wildfire on Saturday, expediting their mission until gusty afternoon winds grounded their aerial campaign.

In all New Mexico was battling at least six wildfires, the worst of them burning the mountains and canyons just east of the capital of Santa Fe, amid extremely hot, windy and dry weather that Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham called "the worst possible set of conditions for any fire."

The Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon complex had burned 172,284 acres as of Saturday, officials said, the equivalent of 269 square miles (697 square km) or nearly 90% of the land area of New York City, destroying at least 170 homes and forcing 16,000 evacuations, officials said.

Worse yet, sizzling temperatures and powerful winds were forecast for another five days in what firefighters have deemed a "historic fire weather event."

Dave Bales, U.S. Forest Service incident commander for the Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon fire, told reporters that helicopter and airplane pilots started early on Saturday and flew all morning, but gusty winds picked up around midday and grounded the fleet.

"They had to sit down due to the heavy turbulence and the lack of visibility with the smoke," U.S. Forest Service Incident Commander Todd Abel told a briefing.

"We were flying them all the way up until then, but the safety of the aerial firefighters was being pushed."

Saturday's wind speeds of 30 mph with 60 mph gusts (48 to 96 kph) were expected to increase on Sunday. Meanwhile, relative humidity of 35% was forecast to dip to a bone dry range of 6% to 16% on Sunday, firefighters said. "Extreme burning conditions" were expected until Tuesday, they said.

Sustained winds are manageable, but fluctuating speeds create hazards for pilots, and strong winds blow water and retardant drops off the mark, Bales said.

KOAT television showed a helicopter dipping a vat attached to a cable into a lake, while planes skirted billowing smoke to drop water and fire retardants over flames.

Firefighters on the ground were rotating in and out, using hand tools and bulldozers to create fire breaks.

The Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon fire was 21% contained on Saturday, but pockets of unburned forest remained behind the fire lines, meaning it had plenty more fuel, Bales said.

The fire consists of two blazes that ignited about two weeks apart and later merged into one, the first originating from a prescribed-burn project that got out of control. The cause of the second remains under investigation, officials said.

At least five others raged elsewhere in the state.

One of them, the 59,000-acre (238 square km) Cooks Peak fire a little further to the northeast from the main blaze, was 97% contained, meaning resources could soon be diverted elsewhere in the state, Lujan Grisham said.

© Reuters

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2022, 11:48:40 AM »
3 Americans found dead at resort in Bahamas; fourth is hospitalized

Three Americans were discovered dead at a Bahamas resort and a fourth has been hospitalized, sparking a mystery for which officials, so far, have few answers.

The bodies of two men and a woman were found on Friday at the Sandals Emerald Bay resort on Exuma, Bahamas Acting Prime Minister Chester Cooper, confirmed. A second woman was also airlifted to Princess Margaret Hospital.

“Police are investigating and the cause of death is still unknown,” Cooper said. “However, I am advised that foul play is not suspected.”

A Sandals spokesperson also confirmed the deaths in a statement to People, calling them a “health emergency.”

“A health emergency was initially reported and following our protocols we immediately alerted emergency medical professionals and relevant local authorities,” the spokesperson said. “We are actively working to support both the investigation as well as the guests’ families in every way possible during this difficult time.

Officers with the Royal Bahamas Police Force responded on Friday to the popular resort, where they found the three bodies in two different villas. Inside the first, authorities discovered a “Caucasian male laying on the ground” in the bedroom and unresponsive, according to a police press release. He was pronounced dead on the scene.

Police then turned their attention to the second villa, where they found “a Caucasian male slumped against the wall in a bathroom” and a “Caucasian female” in a “bedroom on a bed.” Both were unresponsive and showed “signs of convulsion,” the release continued.

“The officers examined the bodies and found no signs of trauma. The local doctor later pronounced both persons dead.”

The couple had previously complained about feeling unwell, according to authorities, and sought out treatment at the local medical facility.

An investigation into the matter is ongoing and authorities hope the group’s autopsies will reveal more about the tragedy.

© New York Daily News

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2022, 11:48:40 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2022, 01:50:44 PM »
A tip among hundreds led police to capture Vicky White and Casey White. But her death leaves many questions

CNN — The nationwide search for a former Alabama corrections officer and the inmate she disappeared with ended Monday when Vicky White died after being hospitalized for a self-inflicted gunshot wound, officials said.

Vicky White, 56, and Casey White, 38, were captured by authorities in Evansville, Indiana, following a car chase with authorities who tracked them down following a tip that came from the public Sunday, Lauderdale County, Alabama, Sheriff Rick Singleton said. It was one of hundreds of tips officials combed through in the 11 days after Vicky White helped Casey White escape jail.

Officers conducting surveillance spotted Vicky White exiting a hotel with a wig on, according to US Marshal Matt Keely. Then, she and Casey White got into a car and drove away.

Authorities continued to watch them until a vehicle pursuit began, ending when a US Marshals task force member drove a vehicle into the Cadillac the pair were in. The car wrecked and rolled over, Keely said. Casey White was driving the car, according to the US Marshals.

Officers were able to remove the inmate from the wrecked car, but Vicky White was pinned inside with a gunshot wound to her head, Keely said.

Casey White reportedly told authorities to help “his wife” who had shot herself in the head and told them he didn’t do it, according to Keely. As far as investigators know, Casey White and Vicky White were not married, Keely noted, and investigators previously said they weren’t related.

No law enforcement officers fired any shots during the chase, according to Singleton.

The scene at the end of the chase in Evansville, Indiana.

The pair’s capture brought to a close a lengthy manhunt that gained widespread attention. But for those close to Vicky White who were hoping for an explanation for her unexpected disappearance and motives, plenty of questions remain unresolved.

As details emerged throughout the investigation suggesting Vicky White planned to aid the inmate, who authorities believe she had a romantic relationship with, in his escape, her family and colleagues were stunned.

On Monday, before Vicky White died, Singleton said she and Casey White would be brought back to Alabama for an arraignment.

“She has some answers to give us,” he said. “What in the world provoked her, prompted her to pull a stunt like this, I don’t know. I don’t know if we’ll ever know.”

Tip led to their capture

The officer and inmate are believed to have been in Evansville since May 3, Sheriff Dave Wedding of Vanderburgh County, Illinois, told CNN.

Sunday night, investigators were told a 2006 Ford F-150 had been discovered at a car wash in Evansville, which is about 175 miles north of Williamson County, Tennessee, where the pair is believed to have abandoned a vehicle they drove away in after ditching Vicky White’s patrol car near the jail. Marshals traveled to Indiana to pursue the lead, the service said.

U.S Marshals released photos on Monday afternoon of who they believe is fugitive Casey White caught on surveillance at an Indiana car wash.

Investigators released photos Monday of a person they believe is Casey White caught on surveillance camera at the car wash. Vicky White is not seen in the images.

The pair initially disappeared April 29 when Vicky White said she was taking Casey White to the courthouse for a mental evaluation. But they never arrived at the courthouse and authorities later discovered they drove to a shopping center parking lot, abandoned the officer’s patrol car and escaped in a vehicle Vicky White staged there the night before, officials said.

Casey White will be brought back to Alabama, where he was facing murder charges before his escape and already serving a 75-year sentence for other crimes. Before her death, Vicky White was charged with permitting or facilitating escape in the first degree, in addition to forgery and identity theft charges connected to her use of an alias to purchase the 2007 Ford Edge the pair initially escaped in, officials said.

The veteran officer has been described by Singleton as “an exemplary employee” with an “unblemished record” who had the trust and respect of her colleagues. As the investigation unfolded, the sheriff acknowledged her apparent behavior is inconsistent with the person her colleagues thought they knew.

“Obviously there was a side to Vicky White that we weren’t aware of,” he told CNN previously.

Search was challenging for investigators

Vicky White’s years of law enforcement expertise presented unique difficulties for authorities.

“This escape was obviously well planned and calculated,” Singleton said, noting that escapes from county jails are usually spontaneous. “A lot of preparation went into this. They had plenty of resources, had cash, had vehicles, had everything they needed to pull this off, and that’s what made this last week and a half so challenging. We were starting from ground zero, and not only that … they got a six-hour head start on us.”

Investigators previously released video of Vicky White at a Quality Inn in Florence, Alabama, where they say she stayed the night before the escape. Singleton also said they have footage of her shopping for men’s clothing at a department store and at an “adult store,” adding that she “obviously had a change of clothes” for the inmate.

Before her disappearance, Vicky White submitted her retirement papers, sold her home for well below market value and purchased the car the pair would use to escape, officials have said.

The day of the disappearance was set to be her last day of work, but her retirement papers were never finalized, according to Singleton. The Lauderdale County Sheriff’s Office announced last week that she was no longer employed there.

Lauderdale County District Attorney Chris Connolly, who said he worked with the officer almost daily for 17 years, told CNN last week he “would have trusted her with my life.”

“I am so disappointed in her,” he said. “She was trusted and she exploited that trust.”

Counselors will be made available at the Lauderdale County Detention Center for staff who may need them after Vicky White’s death, according to Singleton.

“It’s a small agency, like family,” he told CNN. “Some of these younger deputies she was like a mother figure to them and I know they’re going to take it hard.”

Casey White will likely need to return to the detention center in the future for court hearings related to his murder charges. Singleton said the inmate will be isolated in a cell.

“He’s going to stay in chains and handcuffs and when he leaves that facility, I guarantee you there’s going to be two deputies with him,” he said. “And he’s not going to get out of this jail again. I don’t want him here any longer than he has to be.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/10/us/vicky-white-death-casey-white-alabama-tuesday/index.html

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2022, 01:56:20 PM »
'Our house is truly on fire': Earth now has 50 percent chance of hitting 1.5°C of warming by 2026

The World Meteorological Organization warned Monday that the planet now faces a 50% chance of temporarily hitting 1.5°C of warming above pre-industrial levels over the next five years, another signal that political leaders—particularly those of the rich nations most responsible for carbon emissions—are failing to rein in fossil fuel use.

"For as long as we continue to emit greenhouse gases, temperatures will continue to rise."

In 2015, by comparison, the likelihood of briefly reaching or exceeding 1.5°C of global warming over the ensuing five-year period was estimated to be "close to zero," the WMO noted in a new climate update. The report was published amid a deadly heatwave on the Indian subcontinent that scientists say is a glimpse of what's to come if runaway carbon emissions aren't halted. Thus far, the heatwave has killed dozens in India and Pakistan.

Signatories to the Paris climate accord have agreed to act to limit the global average temperature increase to well below 2°C—preferably to 1.5°C—by the end of the century. Climate advocates have deemed the 1.5°C target "on life support" following world leaders' refusal to commit to more ambitious action at the COP26 summit in Glasgow late last year.

"We are getting measurably closer to temporarily reaching the lower target of the Paris Agreement," Petteri Taalas, the secretary-general of the WMO, said in a statement Monday. "The 1.5°C figure is not some random statistic. It is rather an indicator of the point at which climate impacts will become increasingly harmful for people and indeed the entire planet."

"For as long as we continue to emit greenhouse gases, temperatures will continue to rise," Taalas added. "And alongside that, our oceans will continue to become warmer and more acidic, sea ice and glaciers will continue to melt, sea level will continue to rise and, our weather will become more extreme. Arctic warming is disproportionately high and what happens in the Arctic affects all of us."

Dr. Leon Hermanson, a climate expert at the U.K. Met Office who led the WMO report, stressed that a short-lived breach of the 1.5°C threshold would not mean that the world is guaranteed to fall short of the Paris accord's most ambitious warming target, which climate experts and campaigners have long decried as inadequate.

Such a breach, however, would "reveal that we are edging ever closer to a situation where 1.5°C could be exceeded for an extended period," said Hermanson.

The WMO's latest research also estimates that there is a 93% chance that at least one year between 2022 and 2026 will be the warmest on record. Currently, 2016 and 2020 are tied for the top spot.

Even if global warming is limited to 1.5°C by 2100, countless people across the globe will still face devastating heatwaves, droughts, and other extreme weather, with the poor facing the worst consequences.

Meanwhile, key ecosystems could be damaged beyond repair in a 1.5°C hotter world. One recent study found that 99% of the world's coral reefs would experience heatwaves that are "too frequent for them to recover" if the planet gets 1.5°C warmer compared to pre-industrial levels.

Scientists behind the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report cautioned last month that if there's to be any hope of keeping warming to 1.5°C or below by 2100, "it's now or never."

"Without immediate and deep emissions reductions across all sectors, it will be impossible," said Jim Skea, co-chair of IPCC Working Group III.

https://www.rawstory.com/our-house-is-truly-on-fire-earth-now-has-50-percent-chance-of-hitting-1-50c-of-warming-by-2026/

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2022, 01:56:20 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2022, 11:44:07 PM »
Mike Tyson avoids criminal charges for punching plane passenger

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson won't face criminal charges after punching a man multiple times before a flight out of San Francisco last month.

The announcement came Tuesday following an investigation by the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office, which says the circumstances preceding the April 20 confrontation led to the decision.

“The circumstances include the conduct of the victim leading up to the incident, the interaction between Mr. Tyson and the victim, as well as the requests of both the victim and Mr. Tyson that no charges be filed in the case,” District Attorney Stephen M. Wagstaffe said. “We now deem this case to be closed.”

Video of the altercation published by TMZ last month appears to show Tyson repeatedly hitting a passenger in the seat behind him on a plane.

The incident occurred prior to the flight’s departure out of San Francisco International Airport, the district attorney said.

In a statement last month, representatives for Tyson, 55, described the passenger as “aggressive,” saying he “began harassing (Tyson) and threw a water bottle at him while he was in his seat.”

The district attorney’s office says it looked at footage taken by other passengers during its investigation, and reviewed incident reports from the San Francisco Police Department and the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office.

The reports said the victim had been drinking and “appeared to be intoxicated,” the district attorney told the Daily News.

The victim shared “minimal details of the incident” with the officers who responded to the scene that day, and was treated for injuries that were not life-threatening, the San Francisco Police Department said last month. Police confirmed two people were detained.

The passenger whom Tyson punched has since been identified by TMZ as a Florida man named Melvin Townsend III.

The Brooklyn-born Tyson, who retired from boxing in 2005, returned in 2020 for an exhibition fight with Roy Jones Jr.

© New York Daily News