Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Media Today  (Read 40445 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: Media Today
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2022, 11:46:29 AM »
Advertisement
Student arrested for bringing AK-47 pistol and AR-15 rifle to Texas high school: report

Authorities in Texas arrested a heavily-armed student only one day after the fatal school shooting in Ulvalde.

The Richardson Police Department says that a local business reported seeing a male walking toward Berkner High School on Wednesday morning.

"Within minutes of the call being dispatched, numerous police officers from various units within the Richardson Police Department responded to Berkner High School and initiated a search and investigation into this incident," the department announced on Facebook. "Based on the information provided and in collaboration with Richardson ISD, officers were able to identify the male suspect as a juvenile student of Berkner High School."

"The suspect was located inside Berkner High School, but no weapons were found. Further investigation led to the discovery of a vehicle used by the suspect in the parking lot of 1551 East Spring Valley Road. Inside the vehicle, officers observed what appeared to be an AK-47 style pistol and a replica AR-15 style Orbeez rifle," the department said.

The suspect was arrested and charged with "Unlawful Carrying Weapons in a Weapon-Free School Zone."

The incident occurred one day after an 18-year-old high school drop out allegedly massacred 21 people at Robb Elementary School.

AFP

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2022, 11:46:29 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2022, 11:50:53 AM »
75-year-old homeless man set on fire under Trump Tower Chicago 'likely to die'

Trump Tower Chicago was near the scene of a brutal assault on a homeless man on Wednesday morning, Fox 32 reported.

"Chicago Police have released surveillance pictures of a man wanted for setting a man on fire downtown. A charred wall shows the exact spot of this vicious crime. Police say a 75-year-old man was sleeping on North Lower Wabash, near the loading dock for Trump Tower early Wednesday morning, when another man poured flammable liquid on him then ignited it," the network reported.

Police released photos of the suspect wearing a Hoodrich jacket.

"As for the victim, he's known by many as 'The Walking Man'. His real name is Joseph Kromelis. He's been seen walking Chicago's streets for years. It was 6 years ago, almost to the day, when Kromelis was beaten with a bat and hospitalized in another brutal attack," the network reported.

The network described Kromelis as fighting to survive. He is in critical condition at Northwestern Hospital.

Kromelis suffered third-degree burns over 65% of his body, the Chicago Sun Times reported.

“We were just told he’s most likely to die,” one law enforcement source told the newspaper

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/homeless-man-set-on-fire-critically-injured-while-sleeping-under-trump-tower

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2022, 11:54:36 AM »
Gun found in 2nd grader's desk terrifies parents: 'I'm just scared for them, you know?'

On the same day as the mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, staff at Kemble Elementary School in Sacramento, California discovered a handgun with a loaded magazine inside a second-grade student's desk.

Other students reportedly notified staff about the weapon.

Fox 40 in Sacramento interviewed Javier Delvalle, the father of a kindergarten student.

“Makes me not want to bring my daughter to school anymore,” he said.

“I’m just scared for them, you know? I mean, I heard about what happened yesterday in Texas on the news, but now, here at the school my daughter goes to? I don’t even want to bring my kids to school here anymore,” Delvalle said.

Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg understood Delvalle's apprehension.

“The fact that any gun with ammunition would be brought to any school is rightfully scary,” Steinberg said. “There are many questions. Where did the child get the gun? Where was the adult responsible? Why did the adult have that gun."

Watch the clip below:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2022, 11:54:36 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2022, 12:02:57 PM »
Boeing's Starliner faces one more challenge as it returns to Earth

Boeing's Starliner capsule is readying to return to Earth on Wednesday in the final step of a key test flight to prove itself worthy of providing rides for NASA astronauts to the International Space Station.

The spaceship is scheduled to autonomously undock at 2:36 pm Eastern Time (1836 GMT) and touch down in New Mexico just over four hours later, at 2249 GMT, wrapping up a six-day mission crucial to restoring Boeing's reputation after past failures.

Orbital Flight Test-2 (OFT-2) is the last hurdle for Starliner to clear before it carries humans in another test flight that could take place by the end of this year.

Starliner rendezvoused with the ISS on Friday, a day after blasting off from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Over the weekend, astronauts living aboard the research platform opened the hatch and "greeted" the capsule's sole passenger: Rosie the Rocketeer, a mannequin equipped with sensors to understand what human crew would have experienced in the journey.

The mission hasn't been without its hiccups. These include propulsion problems early on Starliner's journey that saw two thrusters responsible for placing it in a stable orbit failing, though officials insisted there was plenty of redundancy built into the system.

On the day of docking, the vessel missed its scheduled contact time by more than an hour, after a ring responsible for latching on to the station failed to deploy correctly. Engineers had to retract the ring then pop it out again before it worked the second time.

Still, the glitches are little compared to the troubles Starliner saw during its first test launch, back in 2019, when one software bug caused it to burn too much fuel to reach its destination, and another almost meant that the vehicle was destroyed during re-entry.

The second error was caught in time to upload a patch, and the vessel was able to achieve a gentle landing, slowed by its enormous parachutes, at White Sands Space Harbor -- the same spaceport where Space Shuttles once launched, and where Starliner is once more expected for touchdown.

Boeing and NASA also tried to launch Starliner in August 2021, but the capsule was rolled back from the launchpad to address sticky valves that weren't opening as they should and the ship was eventually sent back to the factory for fixes.

NASA is looking to certify Starliner as a second "taxi" service for its astronauts to the space station -- a role that Elon Musk's SpaceX has provided since succeeding in a test mission for its Dragon capsule in 2020.

© 2022 AFP

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2022, 12:08:53 PM »
Floating in a tin Cannes: David Bowie doc blasts off at film fest

A high-octane documentary on David Bowie has delighted fans at the Cannes Film Festival which is having a vintage year for music lovers.

"Moonage Daydream" by American documentary maker Brett Morgen is a tour de force through the daring creativity of the pop icon who influenced rock music like few others.

It is not the only music doc at the festival, which also premiered "Jerry Lee Lewis: Trouble in Mind" about the legendary rock'n'roller.

The film was made by Ethan Coen, one half of the beloved Coen brothers film-making duo.

Both docs eschew expert talking heads in favor of a more immersive experience.

"I don't care what experts say," Coen told AFP at the festival.

"Jerry Lee is a performer so I want to see the performance -- not what some expert thinks about it."

'Wildly creative'

By the time he died in 2016, Bowie had sold more than 100 million records, from his first hit single "Space Oddity" to his final album "Blackstar", released just days before his death.

There was a massive wealth of clips, recordings, interviews, writings, movie performances and art by the artist -- five million items in all -- that Morgen went through to produce a mesmerizing patchwork of sounds and images.

"It's not a biography," Morgen told AFP. "The film is meant to be sublime, and kaleidoscopic, and kind of wash over you."

Having seen "nearly every image in existence of David Bowie, I am more in awe of him today than at any point", Morgen said.

There was a temptation to simply call his film "Bowie", but he resisted, because "there's no definitive Bowie".

Critics gushed, with The Telegraph calling Moonage Daydream "wildly creative" and The Guardian, in a five-star review, saying it was "a shapeshifting epiphany-slash-freakout... a glorious celebratory montage".

Elvis is coming

That's not all the music to come at Cannes, which is also bracing for the world premiere on Wednesday of "Elvis", the new biopic from Australia's technicolor maestro Baz Luhrmann.

The film stars newcomer Austin Butler in the lead role, with Tom Hanks as his infamous manager, Colonel Tom Parker.

Last year's edition was also packed with music, opening with the eccentric musical "Annette" by LA pop duo Sparks, and featuring a lauded documentary about The Velvet Underground by cult director Todd Haynes, and a biopic about Celine Dion.

Cannes was also the launchpad for "Amy" about the tragically short life of singer Amy Winehouse, which premiered in 2015 to enthusiastic reviews.

More broadly, this is something of a golden age for music documentaries as the genre moves away from the sort of simplistic, hero-worshipping films of old towards more innovative pieces of work.

Coen said he had been blown away by some recent documentaries -- especially "Get Back", the painstaking reconstruction of footage from The Beatles' last-ever gig by "Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson.

"The Beatles one was fantastic. I could not get enough of it even though it was seven hours long," Coen said.

"But it's like anything -- books or movies -- there's some good ones and a lot of bad ones."

© 2022 AFP

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2022, 12:08:53 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2022, 12:17:00 PM »
A teacher in Uvalde, Texas, describes ‘the longest 35 minutes of my life’

Her students were watching a Disney movie when the gunshots started. Then instinct and practice kicked in.

A crying girl is comforted outside the Willie de Leon Civic Center in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday. Allison Dinner / AFP - Getty Images

UVALDE, Texas — The teacher came to her door Wednesday evening, eyes puffy from hours of crying and almost no sleep.

“What do you want me to say?” she asked a reporter. “That I can’t eat? That all I hear are their voices screaming? And I can’t help them?”

It had been about 28 hours and 45 minutes since a gunman charged into Robb Elementary School and opened fire, killing at least 19 children and two educators.

After thinking it over, the teacher agreed to talk to a reporter on the condition that she not be named, in part because, she said, district administrators asked staff members not to speak with reporters — but also because she’s terrified, she said.

Nothing feels safe or normal anymore, she said.

Her students had been watching a Disney movie Tuesday morning as part of their year-end celebration. When she heard gunfire explode down the hall, she knew exactly what it was. She shouted for her kids to get under their desks and sprinted to lock her classroom door.

The children did exactly as they were told, she said.

“They’ve been practicing for this day for years,” the teacher said, referring to the active shooter exercises that have become as much a fixture of public education in America as math, science and reading. “They knew this wasn’t a drill. We knew we had to be quiet or else we were going to give ourselves away.”

As the children huddled under their desks, staying quiet as their wounded classmates wailed from down the hall, the teacher sat on the floor in the middle of the room. She tried to stay calm, she said. To be strong for them.

What followed, she said, was “the longest 35 minutes of my life.”

A few students started crying, so she motioned for them to come sit by her. She held them and whispered for them to pray silently. Without speaking, she tried to convey to the class: You’re OK. We’re going to be OK.

Finally, police approached from outside the classroom and broke the windows. The teacher called for her students to line up. Quickly but orderly. Just like they do every day for lunch and recess.

One by one, the teacher held their hands and helped each of her students out the window.

“After the last kid, I turned around to ensure everyone was out,” the teacher said. “I knew I had to go quickly, but I wasn’t leaving until I knew for sure.”

She met back up with her students at another school facility across town that afternoon and tried to comfort the ones who were worried about their best friends or cousins from the classroom down the hall. The ones who might not have made it out a window.

Later, as the unthinkable toll of the shooting came into focus, some parents texted the teacher: “Thank you for keeping my baby safe.”

“But it’s not just their baby,” the teacher said, sobbing on her front porch. “That’s my baby, too. They are not my students. They are my children.”

The teacher hasn’t begun to think about what next school year will be like, if she can even bring herself to return. First, there will be funerals to attend. Interviews with investigators, who she said won’t ever really be able to explain what would lead someone to shoot up a class full of children.

“I want you to say this in your article,” the teacher said before she pulled her screen door closed. “Our children did not deserve this. They were loved. Not only by their families, but their family at school."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/teacher-uvalde-texas-describes-longest-35-minutes-life-rcna30571

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2022, 11:17:47 AM »
Amber Heard says she received death threats during defamation trial

"Aquaman" star Amber Heard said Thursday that she has received thousands of death threats during the "agonizing" defamation trial between her and former husband Johnny Depp.

"I am harassed, humiliated, threatened every single day," the 36-year-old Heard said on the final day of witness testimony in the blockbuster trial taking place in Fairfax, Virginia, near the US capital.

Heard said she has been the target of a social media campaign by "millions" of fans of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" star and that she suffers from panic attacks, nightmares and trauma.

"People want to kill me and they tell me so every day," she told the jury, tearing up at times, her voice breaking. "People want to put my baby in the microwave and they tell me that.

"I receive hundreds of death threats regularly, if not daily, thousands since this trial has started, people mocking my testimony about being assaulted," the actress said.

"It's been agonizing, painful, the most humiliating thing I've ever had to go through," she said. "I just want Johnny to leave me alone."

The six-week trial has been attended daily by fans of Depp, some of whom have queued for hours overnight to secure one of the limited places in the public gallery.

Judge Penney Azcarate threatened to expel the spectators at one point during Heard's emotional testimony on Thursday.

"If I hear one more sound, I will clear the gallery and we will continue this testimony without anybody in the courtroom," Azcarate warned. "Understood?"

'Outlandish'

Heard's testimony came a day after Depp took the stand and said it has been "unimaginably brutal" to listen to his ex-wife's "heinous" and "outlandish" accusations of domestic abuse.

"No human being is perfect, certainly not, none of us, but I have never in my life committed sexual battery, physical abuse," the 58-year-old Depp said.

Depp said he brought legal action because he needed to address "what I've been carrying on my back, reluctantly, for six years."

Heard, who was married to Depp from 2015 to 2017, obtained a restraining order against her then-husband in May 2016, citing domestic violence.

Depp, a three-time Oscar nominee, filed a libel suit in London against the British tabloid The Sun for calling him a "wife-beater." He lost that case in November 2020.

Depp brought suit against Heard in Fairfax over an op-ed she wrote for The Washington Post in December 2018, in which she described herself as a "public figure representing domestic abuse."

The Texas-born Heard did not name Depp in the piece, but he sued her for implying he was a domestic abuser and is seeking $50 million in damages.

Heard countersued, asking for $100 million and claiming she suffered "rampant physical violence and abuse."

She said Thursday her counterclaim was a bid to reclaim her voice and name.

"Johnny has taken enough of my voice," she said. "I have the right to tell my story."

Closing arguments Friday

During the trial, which began April 11, Heard testified about multiple instances of alleged physical and se*ual abuse by an intoxicated Depp, including being se*ually assaulted with a bottle while they were in Australia.

Depp claimed Heard was the one who was frequently violent during their relationship and once severed the tip of one of his middle fingers by throwing a vodka bottle at him.

Both sides have claimed damage to their Hollywood careers.

Heard's legal team presented an entertainment industry expert who estimated that the actress has suffered $45-50 million in lost film and TV roles and endorsements.

An industry expert hired by Depp's side said the actor has lost millions because of the abuse accusations, including a $22.5 million payday for a sixth installment of "Pirates."

Closing arguments are to take place on Friday, after which the case will go to the seven-person jury.

© 2022 AFP

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2022, 11:17:47 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2022, 11:28:25 AM »
Texas TV station cuts away from Jimmy Kimmel's emotional monologue on school shooting -- but why?

A Dallas/Fort Worth television station cut away from Jimmy Kimmel's emotional monologue about the Robb Elementary school massacre that left 19 children and two adults dead.

ABC affiliate WFAA-TV interrupted the six-minute, comedy-free monologue with a string of commercials, starting with an in-house news spot, before airing the end of Kimmel's opener, which he used for a three-minute ad for the gun violence prevention organization Everytown.org, reported the Star-Telegram.

“To my friends in Dallas who are asking: I do not know whether our @ABCNetwork affiliate @wfaa cut away from my monologue tonight intentionally or inadvertently but I will find out,” Kimmel tweeted. “In the meantime, here’s what you didn’t get to see.”

Watch here:

A source at the TV station said the commercials were aired and part of the monologue was cut because the 10 p.m. newscast ran long, and an interview with "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane was also chopped up into segments that aired between commercial breaks.

Kimmel called out elected officials, including Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and Sens. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and John Cornyn (R-TX), and urged them to take action to prevent another mass shooting.

“Once again we grieve for the little boys and girls,” Kimmel said, fighting back tears. “Whose lives have been ended and whose families have been destroyed. While our leaders on the right, the Americans in Congress and at Fox News and these other outlets warn us not to politicize this. They immediately criticize our president for even speaking about doing something to stop it, because they don’t want to speak about it because they know what they’ve done and they know what they haven’t done, and they know it’s indefensible, so they’d rather sweep this under the rug."

“The reason they call them common-sense gun laws is because that’s what they are,” he added. “Eighty-nine percent of Americans want background checks before a gun can be purchased, which is the very least we can do.”

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/arts-culture/article261811562.html