Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Free eBook The Bishop Hoax  (Read 9712 times)

Offline Gerry Down

Re: Free eBook The Bishop Hoax
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2022, 10:05:52 PM »
Advertisement
It's just not logical that Phillips would do something this risky. Particularly after the cattlemen meeting.

You've documented the latter. So has Newman. It simply doesn't add up.

What's this about the "cattlemen meeting"? I've never heard this. Which book and what page of Newman's and Parnell is this discussed in?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2022, 10:05:52 PM »

Online W. Tracy Parnell

• W. Tracy Parnell Debunking JFK Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2022, 10:22:58 PM »
Another followup if I may: Did Fonzi try to contact - or did he? - Lobo about any of this? It seems to me that any CIA agent trying to recruit one of Lobo's people would go through him first? To see if the person was suitable for recruitment? Phillips said he did meet with Lobo about one potential asset.

It's a reach to me that a CIA agent like Phillips would go to Lobo's bank unannounced. In the middle of the day, with Castro's agents operating full tilt during that period in 1959. Lobo was suspected of aiding the CIA. He certainly opposed Castro's policies, his expropriation of Cuban property. It's just not logical that Phillips would do something this risky. Particularly after the cattlemen meeting.

You've documented the latter. So has Newman. It simply doesn't add up.

I could find no evidence that anyone contacted Lobo regarding Veciana. I believe he was in Spain by the time of the SSCIA-HSCA investigations so that may have been a factor.

Online W. Tracy Parnell

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2022, 10:27:55 PM »
What's this about the "cattlemen meeting"? I've never heard this. Which book and what page of Newman's and Parnell is this discussed in?

Chapter 7 in my book:
https://wtracyparnell.blogspot.com/p/7-few-days-after-jack-ruby-departed-cuba.html

Page 72 in Newman (Into the Storm).

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2022, 10:27:55 PM »

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2022, 11:21:44 PM »
Newman discusses ("Into the Storm") the supposed visit to Lobo's bank here:

"The visit by Veciana's notional [i.e., theoretical] Phillips to Lobo's bank in mid-September 1959 would have taken place at the very moment the Havana station and CIA HQS were struggling to ensure that the work of the real Phillips for the CIA would not come to the attention of Cuban intelligence. Lobo's bank and counterrevolutionary associates - including Veciana - had been under tight surveillance for quite some time. Only a few month later, Che Guevara summoned Veciana to two meetings in which he attempted - unsuccessfully - to recruit Veciana to penetrate and report on Lobo's anti-Castro activities."

I was not aware - and his source for this is thin - that Veciana himself was under surveillance at the time of the supposed Bishop meeting. Newman also says that Lobo vouched for Veciana's bona fides in late 1960 when he, Veciana, appealed to the US Embassy for a visa to go to the US. Which raises the question: If Veciana was working for Phillips then why did he need to go to Lobo to prove his bona fides to obtain a visa? Wouldn't Phillips do that? That is, vouch for him?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 11:59:10 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

Online W. Tracy Parnell

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2022, 12:31:33 AM »
Newman discusses ("Into the Storm") the supposed visit to Lobo's bank here:

"The visit by Veciana's notional [i.e., theoretical] Phillips to Lobo's bank in mid-September 1959 would have taken place at the very moment the Havana station and CIA HQS were struggling to ensure that the work of the real Phillips for the CIA would not come to the attention of Cuban intelligence. Lobo's bank and counterrevolutionary associates - including Veciana - had been under tight surveillance for quite some time. Only a few month later, Che Guevara summoned Veciana to two meetings in which he attempted - unsuccessfully - to recruit Veciana to penetrate and report on Lobo's anti-Castro activities."

I was not aware - and his source for this is thin - that Veciana himself was under surveillance at the time of the supposed Bishop meeting.

Newman's logic seems to be that if Lobo was under surveillance, Veciana would be by default. But you're right, it is thin. I have no doubt that Lobo was a CIA asset but beyond that who knows? I do agree that recruiting Veciana at the bank would be the last thing Phillips would want to do.

Newman also says that Lobo vouched for Veciana's bona fides in late 1960 when he, Veciana, appealed to the US Embassy for a visa to go to the US. Which raises the question: If Veciana was working for Phillips then why did he need to go to Lobo to prove his bona fides to obtain a visa? Wouldn't Phillips do that? That is, vouch for him?

Yes, Phillips would just vouch for him if the Bishop story was true. Similarly, why would Veciana need to go to the CIA on three occasions asking for help when Bishop/Phillips was supposedly providing what he needed?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2022, 12:31:33 AM »

Offline Gerry Down

Online W. Tracy Parnell

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2022, 04:46:03 PM »
Chapter 22 of The Bishop Hoax is now online:
https://wtracyparnell.blogspot.com/p/22-i-accuse-you-of-assassination.html

Highlights:
David Phillips engages in a personal and legal battle with conspiracy authors.
Fabiola-Delores Cao allegations.
Virginia Prewett.
Phillips debates Anthony Summers.
Jim Hougan-Frank Terpil story.
Phillips and the Orlando Letelier murder.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2022, 04:46:03 PM »

Online W. Tracy Parnell

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2022, 04:11:39 PM »
Chapter 23 of The Bishop Hoax is now online:
https://wtracyparnell.blogspot.com/p/23-single-mans-monomania.html

Highlights:
Fonzi's 1980 article "Who Killed JFK?" draws critical reaction from peers and others in the know.