Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Conclusions or assumptions  (Read 8004 times)

Online Martin Weidmann

Re: Conclusions or assumptions
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2022, 08:24:15 PM »
Advertisement

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2022, 08:24:15 PM »

Offline Vincent Baxter

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2022, 04:57:00 PM »
The thing is they are kind of trick questions because you've worded and presented them in a way that a genuine honest answer to each is somehow meant to weaken the case of the LN theory.

Partially right. My questions are indeed worded to get a genuine honest answer. If that answer weakens the case of the LN theory, then so be it. If you want to find the truth, you shouldn't be worried about the possible weakness of the LN case.

Obviously there is no conclusive proof that Oswald purchased the rifle solely for himself, it's mere circumstantial evidence and a general assumption.

Now, there's an honest answer! Kudos! And I agree. The problem is that once you say that, the next question is going to be; If there is no conclusive proof that Oswald purchased the rifle for himself, how can anyone claim his alleged ownership of that rifle as a foundation for the accusation that he shot Kennedy with it?

Even if Oswald had said during interrogation that he 100% definitely purchased the rifle for himself and his sole use only, CTs would then ask the question "How do we know for sure that he wasn't lying or covering for someone else".

That's a moot LN talking point which is of no value, as Oswald didn't say that during interrogation.

Well, how do we know he didn't say that during interrogation? My point here is that if everyone were to adopt your attitude of not believing anything we're told then we can't dismiss the fact that he might have admitted to buying it for himself.
As absurd as it may be, there's as much evidence suggesting Oswald admitted this during interrogation than there is evidence that he purchased the rifle for someone else, yet you're willing to dismiss this without questioning the lack of evidence. You can't just pick whatever unproven aspects of the Warren Commission you choose to believe to suit your theory.

Quote from: Martin Weidmann

To sum it up an honest answer in simple and obvious terms; Assuming, as you said, that Oswald had indeed written the order form, envelope and money order we can conclude he definitely did order the rifle.

If you mean by "he definitely did order the rifle" that he ordered it for himself, then I have to disagree with that conclusion as it is also possible (although I admit there is no evidence for it) that he was manipulated into writing the the order documents and making available his P.O. box address for someone else. Perhaps even for somebody he knew as A. Hidell, who asked him for a favor.

The available evidence does not, in any way, shape or form, show us conclusively that Oswald used an alias to order the rifle for himself, but it does also not show he ordered it for somebody else. Nevertheless, if you are honest, you will agree that both options are possible, right?

No, by saying "he definitely did order the rifle" I meant that Oswald physically wrote the order form and sent it off. Indicating that he was clearly involved in obtaining the rifle. Whether it be for him or for someone else.

We are told that the rifle was dispatched to a PO Box which Oswald had access to and addressed to an AJ Hiddell

Indeed... We are told that the rifle was dispatched based on a marking on an internal document of Klein's (iirc Waldmann 7), but there is no evidence whatsoever that a rifle was actually shipped (there is no record of postage, which seems odd for a postal sale company not to have, in case they had to show a product had indeed been sent). So, yet again, we get to assume that what we are told is in fact true, when we have no evidence to confirm that.

Yes, I purposely worded it as "we are told" because I knew that is something you'd have picked up on otherwise.
Again, this is selective choosing on what you want to believe. You're also indirectly suggesting that Klein's are therefore somehow involved in the whole conspiracy which is just widening the circle of people involved which makes it even more unlikely.
And it's easy to say in 2022, when everything is computerised, every parcel has a barcode and every parcel is scanned upon being posted and delivered, that for there to be no record of the rifle being posted is "odd". But even as recent as 2010 I worked at a place that would just print postage labels off via their franking machine and just drop letters and parcels off at the post office with no record of what had or hadn't been sent.
I have to admit I haven't tried to find out what Klein's official postal procedure was back in 1963. Was there a record for every single parcel they sent out? Was it ONLY the AJ Hiddell parcel that had no record of postage from all of the mail orders they did that year?

It's like the people who like to point out that it was odd that Oswald's interrogation wasn't taped, which by today's standards is quite peculiar.
But the reason it wasn't taped was because they didn't have recording facilties at the Dallas Police Dept because recording the interviewing of suspects wasn't their standard procedure so therefore not taping their conversations with Oswald wasn't particularly out of the ordinary after all.

which we know Oswald had a fake ID for in his possession

Do we really know that? Let's consider the facts we do know for a moment. Paul Bentley was the officer who took Oswald's wallet from him in the car, during the ride to DPD HQ. In a television interview, the next day, he was asked about the content of that wallet and he answered that it contained an ID, in Oswald's name, a credit card and a driver's license. Not a word about an ID in the name of Hidell! In fact, there isn't one report of any DPD officer that mentions the discovery of an Hidell ID in that wallet.

So, now enter Detecive Rose, who was off duty but recalled to help out after the assassination. When he arrived at DPD HQ, Oswald was being brought in and Rose was the first officer to talk to him. Just before that Rose was given a wallet, which he was told belonged to Oswald and that wallet contained a fake Hidell ID. The weird thing is that nobody knows who the person was that gave Rose the wallet. It couldn't have been Bentley, because he had injured his leg during the arrest and had been taken to hospital after his arrival at DPD HQ. So, where did that wallet come from and who gave it to Rose? Where is the chain of custody for that wallet?

Ah, the whole wallet mystery thing. CTers like to make a big deal of this. Was Bentley expected to give a whole itinerary of every single item that was in the wallet to the public? There was (allegedly) photos of his family in the wallet as well which Bentley didn't list, or are you suggesting they were planted later too?
Also, at that point the Dallas Police probably didn't know if AJ Hiddell was a real person or not so would it have been a good idea to blab it all over the national TV and potentially give AJ Hiddell (if he was a real person) the heads up that the police might be looking for him?
Once again though, we're back at the same notion of selecting what you want to believe and what you don't. Just because Bentley didn't mention the fake ID doesn't mean that it's conclusive proof that it wasn't in the wallet originally.

(If he was simply purchasing it for someone else, why bother trying to hide his identity?).

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying here. If Oswald (possibly being manipulated) did somebody he knew as A. Hidell a favor by ordering the rifle and the revolver, then he wasn't trying to hide his identity, right?

Again, I'm not sure what the procedure was for obtaining a PO Box and collecting stuff from it in 1963 but I don't think it's a wild assumption to say that some form of ID would be required.
Also, if It was completely innocent and he was just ordering it for someone he knew, why didn't he just use his own name rather than go though the whole routine of doing it in someone else's name and potentially have to make a fake ID to do it?
He was definitely up to something dodgy. Even without hard evidence I think even you'd have to admit that, right?

And then he was later photographed holding the same rifle.

First of all, I'm not so sure that it was the same rifle, but having said that, the fact that Oswald was photographed with a rifle doesn't tell us anything about the ownership of that rifle. I don't have any weapons myself, but I was once photographed holding a rifle that belonged to a friend of mine. That did not make it my rifle!

Now to me, they are fairly justifiable reasons to conclude that he bought the rifle for himself.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. There is no way near sufficient evidence to justify that conclusion.

Granted there is no definitive proof that this is the case 

So, if there is no definitive proof, as you say, how in the world can you nevertheless reach your conclusion?

Well there's a thing called circumstantial evidence. From what I've listed I don't think it's a totally unreasonable conclusion to arrive at.
If as you stated Oswald did indeed write the envelope, money order and send off for the rifle, then there is clear evidence that he intended to purchase a rifle. Shortly after this time he is photographed holding a rifle, his wife is aware of him being in possession of a rifle and, correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will), George de Mohrenschildt also claims to have seen a rifle in Oswald's apartment shortly after the Walker shooting. A rifle that was linked to the exact one Oswald sent off for was then discovered at his place of work, on a floor that Oswald was seen on on the day of the assassination.
Now, whether he ordered the rifle for himself or for someone else isn't really relevant. We know that Oswald had a rifle, or if you want to be pedantic, we know he HAD ACCESS to a rifle shortly after ordering a rifle from Klein's. Whether it was actually his or someone else's doesn't alter the fact that he had access to it and therefore could have used it to shoot the President.

but if people took that attitude with everything they ever saw or heard, practically every murderer in history would have walked free.

That's an extremely weak LN argument. In most cases ownership of a weapon is not crucial to obtain a conviction. If it was every murderer would use a weapon owned by somebody else to do the killing. The ownership the MC rifle is so crucial in this case simply because there is no other evidence to link Oswald to the Kennedy murder. When you take him owning the rifle out of the equation, you are left with very little else.

The assumption (because that's what it is) that Oswald ordered the rifle for himself and received it, allows for the conclusion that he was seen with the same rifle in the BY photos. It subsequently allows for the conclusion that he used  this particular rifle to shoot at General Walker, thus demonstrating his willingness to kill and for the conclusion (based on absolutely nothing) that he stored this particular rifle in Ruth Paine's garage for 2 months. All of this and more goes out the window, if the assumption that Oswald ordered the rifle for himself and thus owned it is wrong! It's a house of cards!

Well, I don't think it is a house of cards. Like I said, I don't think the actual ownership of the rifle makes much difference. It's clear that Oswald had access to it due to photographs and witness testimony.
You argued that you yourself was once photographed holding a rifle but it didn't belong to you, suggesting that makes the BY photos invalid. But on the flip side, just because it wasn't your actual rifle, there's nothing to say that you couldn't have used that exact rifle to shoot someone with. Whether it was your gun or not makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, what the photo shows is that you had access to the gun.

The honest answer doesn't make any difference to the LN theory.

If that were true, why are you the first LN to try to answer the questions? The others have all stayed away from this thread or simply avoided answering the questions.

More to the point, with no conclusive evidence to suggest he purchased the rifle for someone else or was indeed photographed holding a gun that wasn't' his property, can you, as a CTer, genuinely and honestly answer your questions if they were flipped the other way?

1. How can you justify the conclusion that Oswald DIDN'T order the rifle for himself or actually receive it?

2. Let's assume that the BY photos are indeed authentic, how can you justify the conclusion that Oswald is holding a rifle that is NOT his property?

First of all, I'm not a CT. I couldn't care less either way. If Oswald did it alone, so be it, and if he didn't there is no other alternative then that there was indeed a conspiracy. I merely want to find out if the case against Oswald holds up under scrutiny.

The answer to your question is; I don't have to. I am not the one proclaiming Oswald to be guilty or innocent. What you are asking me to do is actually prove two negatives, which is near impossible to do.

Based in the available evidence you can not conclude that Oswald did not order the rifle for himself. But you also can not conclude that he actually did buy it for himself, which is exactly the point I was making. And the same goes for the BY photos. The only way you can conclude that Oswald ordered, received and owned that rifle is if you assume he did and there is not even enough circumstantial evidence to justify such an assumption.

I think if this whole thread is entirely just to question whether Oswald ordered the rifle solely for himself or whether he ordered it as a favour for someone else, then you're right in that there is no conclusive evidence to prove this.
However, if the whole point of this was to somehow prove that Oswald was less likely to be the assassin then I genuinely don't think it's made the slightest bit of difference.
There's no evidence whatsoever to suggest Oswald ordered the rifle for someone else. I haven't even bothered mentioning the revolver that he ordered and that was, allegedly, found on him at the Texas Theatre. I say 'allegedly' because I'm guessing you doubt the authenticity of that account bearing in mind that other than a few policemen's testimonies, there's no physical or hard evidence to suggest he was carrying the revolver and it could well have been planted by the Police, but this just refers back to the point of where do you draw a line on witness testimony? You can even apply doubt to hard evidence like DNA at a crime scene by suggesting that someone purposely planted DNA to frame someone.
If the criminal justice system took your approach then we might as well just abolish trials and let every accused criminal walk free.

There is more than enough reasoning to come to the conclusion that Oswald was guilty. You don't need physical hard evidence to see that. Going a bit off subject but Charles Manson was convicted (and rightly so I believe) of the Tate and LaBianca murders without even being at the murder scene or committing the murders himself. But with the amount circumstantial evidence and testimony against him he was convicted. Applying your rule of hard evidence only would have meant Manson walking free, and in this case Oswald potentially too.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2022, 08:27:16 PM »
Well, how do we know he didn't say that during interrogation? My point here is that if everyone were to adopt your attitude of not believing anything we're told then we can't dismiss the fact that he might have admitted to buying it for himself.

The problem is not that I believe something or not. The problem is that the interrogators failed to document correctly and verbatim what was being said during interrogation. The problem gets subsequently even bigger when individual interrogators write things in their reports that either don't match or even contradict eachother.

Having said that, the interrogators told us that Oswald denied owning a rifle. Now, unless you can tell me how somebody who denies owning a rifle can admit to buying a rifle for himself, it is not unreasonable to assume that Oswald never admitted to buying the rifle.

As absurd as it may be, there's as much evidence suggesting Oswald admitted this during interrogation than there is evidence that he purchased the rifle for someone else, yet you're willing to dismiss this without questioning the lack of evidence. You can't just pick whatever unproven aspects of the Warren Commission you choose to believe to suit your theory.

I agree that there is no evidence for either, but I disagree that I am willing to dismiss either option, because I am not. What I find amazing is that you seem to agree with me that the Warren Commission failed to prove that Oswald bought the rifle for himself, when there were two other possibilities they never even looked at. They just assumed Oswald bought the rifle for himself and presented it as fact. Now, please tell me why I can't choose to believe one thing, which you reject, but the WC can choose to believe the other, which you accept?

No, by saying "he definitely did order the rifle" I meant that Oswald physically wrote the order form and sent it off. Indicating that he was clearly involved in obtaining the rifle. Whether it be for him or for someone else.

You get no disagreement from me. I'll go even one step further and say that it's nearly impossible for Oswald to simply have been an innocent bystander, as some CTs claim. That's why I am willing to accept the possibility that he actually wrote the order documents instead of them being faked. He was most surely involved, but how and to what extent, that is the question. But let there be no doubt about my position. Having worked with handwriting experts in the past, I know from my own observations about how they work, that the conclusions reached by the FBI expert about the handwriting on the order documents are at best questionable.

Yes, I purposely worded it as "we are told" because I knew that is something you'd have picked up on otherwise. Again, this is selective choosing on what you want to believe. You're also indirectly suggesting that Klein's are therefore somehow involved in the whole conspiracy which is just widening the circle of people involved which makes it even more unlikely.

No, I am not suggesting for one moment that Klein's were somehow involved in the conspiracy. I actually believe that Waldman testified to the best of his ability and knowledge. The problem is that Waldman had no direct knowledge of any of the details in this case. He was Vice-President of an entirely different department of Klein's and had nothing to do with the sale of weapons.

All Waldman could do was confirm the information contained in the photocopies of documents. When he testified he had no way of telling if these were the exact copies from the micro-film in November 1963 or if they were manipulated. After all, we're talking about photocopies and not the original documents!   

In order to create such a chain of documents, all that was required is sending in an orderform and a money order. The rest of the documents were internal ones from Klein's that were automatically generated when the order was received. The most important document Waldman "authenticated" was # 7, of which the original is remarkably lost. On that "order blank" document everything was typed except for the handwritten serial number of the rifle and a control number and the letters "PP" were encircled.

That serial number is the only link between the Klein's order and the rifle found at the TSBD. The encirclement of the letters "PP" was apparently enough for Waldman to conclude that the rifle had been sent by Parcel Post and that, in turn, was enough for the WC to conclude that the rifle had been sent to Oswald's P.O. box as well as that he had received it. You may consider this sufficient evidence to justify the conclusions, but I don't.

And it's easy to say in 2022, when everything is computerised, every parcel has a barcode and every parcel is scanned upon being posted and delivered, that for there to be no record of the rifle being posted is "odd". But even as recent as 2010 I worked at a place that would just print postage labels off via their franking machine and just drop letters and parcels off at the post office with no record of what had or hadn't been sent.

I have to admit I haven't tried to find out what Klein's official postal procedure was back in 1963. Was there a record for every single parcel they sent out? Was it ONLY the AJ Hiddell parcel that had no record of postage from all of the mail orders they did that year?

If Klein's was sending any old parcel I would probably agree with you, but they were sending a weapon by Parcel Post. It seems incomprehensible to me that they would do so without keeping some proof of shipment and/or receipt.

It's like the people who like to point out that it was odd that Oswald's interrogation wasn't taped, which by today's standards is quite peculiar. But the reason it wasn't taped was because they didn't have recording facilties at the Dallas Police Dept because recording the interviewing of suspects wasn't their standard procedure so therefore not taping their conversations with Oswald wasn't particularly out of the ordinary after all.

If we were talking about a petty crime, I would agree with you. But we are talking about a suspect in the killing of the President and a DPD officer. They had Oswald in custody and could have easily arranged to obtain recording equipment from somewhere. Or are you trying to tell me that nowhere in the state of Texas was there any recording equipment? For crying out loud, they could have had it flown in from Washington, if they really wanted to have and use it. The conclusion must be that they were not interested in recording verbatim what the suspect had to say and that's on them. The WC may have accepted the word of the interrogators but I seriously doubt that a court of law would have done the same.

Ah, the whole wallet mystery thing. CTers like to make a big deal of this. Was Bentley expected to give a whole itinerary of every single item that was in the wallet to the public? There was (allegedly) photos of his family in the wallet as well which Bentley didn't list, or are you suggesting they were planted later too?
Also, at that point the Dallas Police probably didn't know if AJ Hiddell was a real person or not so would it have been a good idea to blab it all over the national TV and potentially give AJ Hiddell (if he was a real person) the heads up that the police might be looking for him?
Once again though, we're back at the same notion of selecting what you want to believe and what you don't. Just because Bentley didn't mention the fake ID doesn't mean that it's conclusive proof that it wasn't in the wallet originally.

Was Bentley expected to give a whole itinerary of every single item that was in the wallet to the public?

No, but a second ID would have been remarkable enough to be mentioned, don't you think? And why do you focus only on what Bentley said in the TV interview?

There was (allegedly) photos of his family in the wallet as well which Bentley didn't list, or are you suggesting they were planted later too?

Your use of the word "allegedly" makes your question a moot one. It also tells me that you seem to believe that the wallet Bentley took from Oswald in the car must be the same one that Detective Rose was given at the police station. There is no evidence for that, simply because there is no chain of custody for the wallet.

So, let's see if I understand this correctly. You are saying that DPD was aware of the Hidell ID (which I presume means that Bentley did find it) from the start, but kept the information to themselves? Really? Then please explain to me, if you can, why there is not a single day one report by any DPD officer about Bentley finding the Hidell ID in Oswald's wallet? In fact there isn't a single report which details the exact content of that wallet. About just about everything else there are all sorts of reports all over the place, but there is none about this crucial piece of evidence. Now, why do you think that is?

And not only that. It has also never been established who gave Detective Rose the wallet that contained the Hidell ID.

Mr. BALL. Did you search him?
Mr. ROSE. He had already been searched and someone had his billfold. I don't know whether it was the patrolman who brought him in that had it or not.

Just how many unanswered questions and honest mistakes do you need before you start wondering what in the world was really going on?

Btw, do you know if the wallet and Hidell ID were part of the evidence shipped to the FBI on Friday night? I can't remember, but if they were not, why do you think the DPD held that back?

Again, I'm not sure what the procedure was for obtaining a PO Box and collecting stuff from it in 1963 but I don't think it's a wild assumption to say that some form of ID would be required.
Also, if It was completely innocent and he was just ordering it for someone he knew, why didn't he just use his own name rather than go though the whole routine of doing it in someone else's name and potentially have to make a fake ID to do it?
He was definitely up to something dodgy. Even without hard evidence I think even you'd have to admit that, right?

I have already said that I don't see how Oswald could be completely innocent. It is pretty obvious that he was involved in something dodgy. Which may in fact be the reason why he did not use his own name to order the rifle and revolver.

Obviously, this is a hypothetical scenario, but it could have gone down this way. At some point in time Oswald was introduced to a man who called himself A. Hidell. After having gained Oswald's trust, that man told him some story about how he wanted to order a rifle and a revolver but he didn't want the people around him (like for instance a wife) to know, so he asks Oswald if he can use his P.O. box to receive the weapons. Oswald agrees but doesn't really trust it completely, so to keep his name out of the transactions, he puts Hidell's name on the orderforms.

And btw, what makes you think that Oswald made a fake ID? Just because we are told one was found in "his" wallet?

Well there's a thing called circumstantial evidence. From what I've listed I don't think it's a totally unreasonable conclusion to arrive at.
If as you stated Oswald did indeed write the envelope, money order and send off for the rifle, then there is clear evidence that he intended to purchase a rifle. Shortly after this time he is photographed holding a rifle, his wife is aware of him being in possession of a rifle and, correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will), George de Mohrenschildt also claims to have seen a rifle in Oswald's apartment shortly after the Walker shooting. A rifle that was linked to the exact one Oswald sent off for was then discovered at his place of work, on a floor that Oswald was seen on on the day of the assassination.
Now, whether he ordered the rifle for himself or for someone else isn't really relevant. We know that Oswald had a rifle, or if you want to be pedantic, we know he HAD ACCESS to a rifle shortly after ordering a rifle from Klein's. Whether it was actually his or someone else's doesn't alter the fact that he had access to it and therefore could have used it to shoot the President.

I agree. The problem with a circumstantial case is that you require assumptions and speculation to fill in the blanks. The more assumptions, the weaker the case. It's all about interpretations and the desired result. Using assumptions and speculation (as much as the WC did) I can easily use the same evidence to build a circumstantial case for Oswald having been set up as a patsy as part of a conspiracy to kill the President, although I will admit that would be a uphill battle, as most people - unfortunately - find it easier to jump to conclusion than honestly examine all the information put before them.

If as you stated Oswald did indeed write the envelope, money order and send off for the rifle, then there is clear evidence that he intended to purchase a rifle.

True, although I did not state that Oswald wrote those documents. I merely asked my question based on the assumption that he did.

Shortly after this time he is photographed holding a rifle, his wife is aware of him being in possession of a rifle and, correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will), George de Mohrenschildt also claims to have seen a rifle in Oswald's apartment shortly after the Walker shooting.

Well, the WC never identified the rifle Oswald is holding in the BY photos as the MC that was purchased at Klein's. They just assumed it was. All we have to make that connection is the opinion of HSCA experts who compared markings they said were on the rifle with the rifle in the blurry BY photos. But then, the HSCA also had experts who concluded there had been a fourth shot, right. So, so much for the opinion of experts! On the evening of day one, Marina was shown the MC rifle found at the TSBD and she failed to identify it. If I recall correctly she even said that Oswald only had a rifle in Russia. And De Mohrenschildt did indeed claim he saw a rifle in Oswald's appartment, but he failed to mention in his testimony that Oswald had given them a HQ print of a BY photo (making him a less than credible witness) and he also never identified the MC rifle as the one he said he had seen.

And what to think of the Russian text written on the back of the DeMohrenschildt's copy? Marina denied having written that text, so who did? Doesn't that make you think there must at least been one more person involved we know nothing about?

A rifle that was linked to the exact one Oswald sent off for was then discovered at his place of work, on a floor that Oswald was seen on on the day of the assassination.

And there we go with the assumptions to fill in the blanks of insufficient circumstantial evidence. According to the orderform, a 36" MC rifle was ordered. A 40,2" MC rifle was found at the TSBD. The only thing potentially linking both rifles is a handwritten serial number on a photocopy of a Klein's document (Waldman 7). Everything else is supposition. Can you explain the discrepancy ?

Well, we know he was photographed holding a rifle shortly after the Klein's order, so that's a given. But the BY photos were taken nearly 8 months prior to the assassination and during all that time nobody has seen Oswald anywhere near a rifle. So, how do we know he had access to a rifle on 11/22/63?

Well, I don't think it is a house of cards. Like I said, I don't think the actual ownership of the rifle makes much difference. It's clear that Oswald had access to it due to photographs and witness testimony.
You argued that you yourself was once photographed holding a rifle but it didn't belong to you, suggesting that makes the BY photos invalid. But on the flip side, just because it wasn't your actual rifle, there's nothing to say that you couldn't have used that exact rifle to shoot someone with. Whether it was your gun or not makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, what the photo shows is that you had access to the gun.

I agree that the actual ownership of the rifle normally doesn't make much difference, but in this case it clearly did. Why else would the WC go out of it's way to claim that Oswald owned the rifle? The answer is simple; if he had borrowed the rifle from somebody else, that person would be involved, at least to some extent, and that would open up the door to the possibility of a conspiracy. And, btw, I had never access to the rifle I was photographed with, after the photo was taken.

I think if this whole thread is entirely just to question whether Oswald ordered the rifle solely for himself or whether he ordered it as a favour for someone else, then you're right in that there is no conclusive evidence to prove this.
However, if the whole point of this was to somehow prove that Oswald was less likely to be the assassin then I genuinely don't think it's made the slightest bit of difference.

Actually, the first question was only one of many I could be asking. As you have demonstrated clearly there is only circumstantial evidence that tentatively links Oswald to the rifle found at the TSBD and that's not really a good way to start if you want to build a credible and persuasive case against Oswald. And, no, the question was not asked to prove that Oswald was less likely to be the assassin. Just as the case against Oswald is circumstantial, so also is the case for him not being the assassin. I've said this before and I'll say it again; I don't really care if Oswald was the assassin or not. My only interest in this case is to determine if the case against him is solid enough to withstand scrutiny.

There's no evidence whatsoever to suggest Oswald ordered the rifle for someone else. I haven't even bothered mentioning the revolver that he ordered and that was, allegedly, found on him at the Texas Theatre. I say 'allegedly' because I'm guessing you doubt the authenticity of that account bearing in mind that other than a few policemen's testimonies, there's no physical or hard evidence to suggest he was carrying the revolver and it could well have been planted by the Police, but this just refers back to the point of where do you draw a line on witness testimony?

In this particular case, that's an easy question to answer. Detective Hill was given a revolver at the TSBD and he was told it belonged to Oswald. That, by itself, is bad enough, but it gets worse. Instead of handing in the revolver immediately after arriving at the DPD office, with Oswald, Hill allegedly carried that revolver around for some two hours. Regardless of what Hill said about it in his testimony, nobody knows what happened to the revolver during the time it was out of sight. In other words, there was no chain of custody to prove the authenticity of that revolver. I know most LNs say that the absence of a chain of custody isn't a big thing, but that's wrong. The purpose of a chain of custody is to ensure that the evidence can not be tampered with by anybody handling it.

And btw the purchase of the revolver has similar evidentiary problems as the order for the rifle.

You can even apply doubt to hard evidence like DNA at a crime scene by suggesting that someone purposely planted DNA to frame someone. If the criminal justice system took your approach then we might as well just abolish trials and let every accused criminal walk free.

Funny you should say that, because a detective walking around with a vial of OJ Simpson's blood, and thus breaking the chain of custody, was one of the reasons why OJ walked, so the criminal justice system is exactly taking my approach.

There is more than enough reasoning to come to the conclusion that Oswald was guilty. You don't need physical hard evidence to see that. Going a bit off subject but Charles Manson was convicted (and rightly so I believe) of the Tate and LaBianca murders without even being at the murder scene or committing the murders himself. But with the amount circumstantial evidence and testimony against him he was convicted. Applying your rule of hard evidence only would have meant Manson walking free, and in this case Oswald potentially too.

There is more than enough reasoning to come to the conclusion that Oswald was guilty. You don't need physical hard evidence to see that.

Now you are losing it. If the physical evidence is ignored, such a conclusion based on "reasoning" would be no more than an assumption of guilt, which, funny enough, is exactly what seems to have happened in the case against Oswald. 

Going a bit off subject but Charles Manson was convicted (and rightly so I believe) of the Tate and LaBianca murders without even being at the murder scene or committing the murders himself. But with the amount circumstantial evidence and testimony against him he was convicted. Applying your rule of hard evidence only would have meant Manson walking free, and in this case Oswald potentially too.

You've got the wrong end of the stick on this one. To be an accessory to murder you don't have to commit the actual murder yourself, nor do you need to be present when it happened. All you have to be is a co-conspirator and that's exactly what Manson was convicted for; being part of a conspiracy for the murder of seven people. In other words, the physical (or as you seem to call it "hard") evidence that was used against the actual killers was also applied to Manson.

Thanks for the conversation. You did in fact raise some interesting points. If you have more, I'll gladly take them in consideration.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 10:56:46 PM by Martin Weidmann »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2022, 08:27:16 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2022, 03:14:19 AM »
Get back in your cage.

Get back to your word-salads
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 03:25:03 AM by Bill Chapman »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2022, 03:17:09 AM »
Get back to your word-salads

I'm sorry that you can't understand anything that has more than 5 words in it.

Now, get back into your cage.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2022, 03:17:09 AM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2022, 03:27:06 AM »

Now, get back into your cage.

Cage: The angry bird and other angry wildlife in my 'American Psycho' initiative are meant as symbolic of Oswald's demonstrated psychopathy

_What I do understand is that you rarely have less that 5 insults in any given post
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 03:35:31 AM by Bill Chapman »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2022, 12:38:34 PM »
Cage: The angry bird and other angry wildlife in my 'American Psycho' initiative are meant as symbolic of Oswald's demonstrated psychopathy

_What I do understand is that you rarely have less that 5 insults in any given post

Fool, I wasn't talking, or even thinking, about your "American Psycho initiative", whatever that may be. You can't even understand that... wow!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 01:58:29 PM by Martin Weidmann »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2022, 12:38:34 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2022, 01:41:15 PM »
Fool, I wasn't talking, or even thinking, about your "Amercan Psycho initiative", whatever that may be. You can't even understand that... wow!

'Amercan' LOL. Are you faking a good-old-boy Texas accent? You sound like LBJ FFS

'American Psycho'
It's an important chapter of my overall 'Dead Oswald Walking' campaign. Thanks so much for showing interest. In any case, that 'whatever that may be' thang might just be Oswald and his well-documented psychopathy.
And since you don't appeal to authority apparently, I can see where you have to speculate, making things up while peppering your word-salads with insults at the first sign of resistance.

'Caged'
I can't recall you hurling that little gem at me at any point, so naturally I attached that to the raven/omen/angry-bird Oswald-as-Damien imagery.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 01:44:48 PM by Bill Chapman »